Next Year

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Next Year

This topic contains 32 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Coach Kotulski left 2012 for Stanford. Since then our D has gotten increasingly bad. A result from the series of rotating DCs. Besides lacking Coach K’s ability to craft and call great D games they were terrible recruiters. Particularly on the DL. An endless series a tall DEs to fill out the DL. All good players but not for a 3 man DL. Last 3 years particularly the last 2 we are starting to rectify that problem. Caveness the best we’ve had in a while. A guy unrecruited from lowest level of PA football. For whatever its worth Lehigh has never had trouble recruiting O talent since McQuilken elected to stay in the LV over multiple offers. D recruiting has been hit or miss. Sort of the reversre of Bucknell and Hoyas who get good D talent but not much on O.
    To me Sutyak is faced with rebuilding a unit that has festered since Coach K left. This was year 1. The frosh and sophs are his kids.

LehighForLifer
    Participant

Rich, all due respect but the coaching is terrible. Watching Stony Brook run around the end and gain over 600 yards, and us make no adjustments, is embarrassing. This has happened all year. Our lack of speed from some of Coach Sutyak’s “kids” (one soph in particular) also dooms us for the next several years. You are way more optimistic than me.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

It’s a sad day on South Mountain when we start comparing our team to Bucknell’s, whose offense WAS pretty darn good in 2013 and 2014 (put up 45 vs. Lehigh at Goodman a year after 48 at BU).

Colgate has been the other most consistent team in the PL.

The reality is, if we’re happy comparing ourselves to other PL teams, let’s all admit that. Then, as fans, we know a playoff run is not likely a reality.

League championships would be the most we can expect, which gets us back to a situation of maybe 20 years ago: Why bother with an autobid? Let’s just play the Ivy League winner in some kind of all-academic bowl game.

I prefer playoffs with improved teams.

LehighForLifer
    Participant

Lehigh is a great university with a strong alumni network that is very successful. The school has a lot to offer prospective student athletes, that frankly, other schools cannot offer.

Unfortunately AD Sterrett prefers to keep many of the sports programs in the 1980s. This is true of football.
    There is no reason we shouldn’t have better facilities and a better coaching staff.

And yes, I believe that an upgrade of the coaching staff and facilities will allow us to compete with some of the better football programs in FCS.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

[quote quote=33118]Lehigh is a great university with a strong alumni network that is very successful. The school has a lot to offer prospective student athletes, that frankly, other schools cannot offer.

Unfortunately AD Sterrett prefers to keep many of the sports programs in the 1980s. This is true of football.
    There is no reason we shouldn’t have better facilities and a better coaching staff.

And yes, I believe that an upgrade of the coaching staff and facilities will allow us to compete with some of the better football programs in FCS.[/quote]
    Think most of us agree about Lehigh :)
    Facilities are solely in the ambit of the U not him. As to staff, I do think its time for some of the older D staff to retire.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Interesting comments by AC on cable (via Lehigh football webpage): Goal is to win the Patriot League, which is something the team does very well.

True.

If that’s the case, this was a successful year regardless of 5-7.

For those of us who thought winning the PL was a first step toward a real playoff run, maybe reality just set in.

I no longer expect any coaching changes. The bar seems set.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Remember when he was hired. His goal was a National Title. Ugh.

objective observer
    Participant

since I don’t know much

and my son is now graduating
    the last four years have been a roller coaster ride

What you need to realize on this forum is that the Patriot League Teams will always have a difficult time in the playoffs

Heck the Ivy League understands that and that is the reason they don’t play in the playoffs

as for next year – it will be a long year
    you lose 3 starters from the offense of line – major players on the offense and a defense that will always struggle

What you realize as a coach is that skill players are a dime a dozen
    to build a championship team you need OL, DL, and DB
    and the patriot league teams will always struggle to get these players- THAT IS A REALITY

BE Happy – my son is!!!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

oo
    Congrats on son graduating.
    While I would quibble about skill players being a dime a dozen, I agree success must start with O and D lines.
    OL takes a big hit losing 3 All PL guys.
    We will be OK tho.
    Fournier, Rosen and Evans all got multiple starts this year on OL. Hawkinson also until injured again. Plus Fest a 2 time A-S Pa. O’Carroll A-S Fla, Lomax A-S NJ. Curlin injured but on 2 deep as a frosh. Plus Andy has 4 OL in upcoming class. Rivera and Fris both with multiple FBS offers.
    DL is a true question mark.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Observer is right. Plenty of skill players out there. Top skill players cannot do much if there is no protection and no defense. Championships begin with defense and we have forgotten to focus on that side of the ball since Coach K. left. We need a shake up on D. I would love to see Ernie Moore come home. He was an excellent player for us on D 10 years ago, and had had a nice rising coaching career. He has spent the past four years helping Cecchini at Valpo as his DC and the school’s program under their leadership has seen a huge turnaround. Cecchini was an FCS Coach of the Year finalist this year as Valpo had their best season in 15 years. I have been watching some of the FCS playoffs and I am seeing some great defense and tackling. No reason we cannot execute similarly. The “lessened contact” rules have not been a detriment to other schools. We need defense, pure and simple. Otherwise we will be seeing this year repeated for years to come and I will not be happy.

buck
    Participant

Recruit good looking women and the better players will follow. Why do you think Alabama is so good?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

LU posted a new ad on ncaa site for an asst coach with OL experience preferably. Guess foe an entry level asst , ie a low pay.

TMH
    Participant

Hint: Incorrect guess :-)

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Ahh crap I was just hoping it was for a low pay. Guess not. Maybe Bret can come back?? :)

TMH
    Participant

Marino to Harvard is what I’ve heard

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.