Offseason Hoops Speculation

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Offseason Hoops Speculation

This topic contains 27 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Carmody is a little on the older side (63) but seems like a great fit for the Patriot League, and seems like a solid hire. As obnoxious as HC fans are, the league is better off when they are a strong program. I hope Carmody gets them back to being a top 150 program and the whole league will benefit.

I think Craig Robinson would have been a good choice as well had HC gone in that direction.

lehigh90
    Participant

Carmody is an interesting hire for HC. Certainly get some name recognition, and he certainly was successful in his time at Princeton. Of course, he never made the tournament in about a 15 year run at Northwestern, not that NW is an easy place to win. He couldn’t bring the athletes in to compete at that level. And, he is approaching retirement age. I’m sure he didn’t come cheap. I think I would probably have preferred a younger, more aggressive type. I’m not sure his brand of basketball thrills younger recruits these days, although it will play better in the PL, than a lot of other places. It will be interesting to see how he does. I think Craig Robinson was his top assistant for awhile, so maybe he comes along as an Associate Head Coach in waiting, although he probably has his eyes on a bigger prize (DePaul?).

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

If I were an HC fan, my dream scenario would have been someone younger, but Carmody is a good coach and I think he’ll do well (at least better than they have been since RW) there. I would be surprised if Carmody raids the staff of one the Princeton tree (Princeton, Georgetown, Fairfield, American, etc) for a top assistant ready to take over in a few years.

Craig Robinson would be interesting for Depaul, but my perception is they believe they are too good for an Oregon State reject (true or not). Robinson has been linked to the Illinois Chicago job as well which may be a good spot for him.

TMH
    Participant

Holy Cross suddenly becomes very formidable. The Princeton offense can be a great equalizer.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

A social media post by Tim seems to indicate that Cole Renninger will be looking for a new place to finish his career:

Gonna miss this kid next year. A hell of a player wherever he goes. Made me a better person and especially a better player in my two years with him. Love you man, stay obsessed.

Can’t say it is too surprising as Cole got very few in-game opportunities. If he does end up leaving, best of luck.

pafan11
    Participant

Word is that Cole will play in the PSAC next year. Multiple schools have spoken with him and he plans to leave. This is understandable considering limited playing time but as TK expressed CR will be missed. Have never heard a negative thing about CR and losing those type of kids hurts a team indirectly if not directly. Good luck!

lehigh90
    Participant

Makes sense if he wants to play, to transfer, although the PSAC is a huge step down academically from a Lehigh degree to those schools. I would think it would make more long-term career sense to go to an academic D3 school that is good at basketball. I would rather get a degree from a Dickinson or F&M, who are good D3 programs, than a D2 school like those in the PSAC.

But, wish him well. I was always intrigued by his athletic ability. Would have liked to see him get some run.

lehigh90
    Participant

Hurley to DePaul???

pafan11
    Participant

Not going to argue that Lehigh is a great school but could we be anymore of an academic snob Lehigh90? I have a finance degree from one of those PSAC schools (Clarion) and have three Patriot League and 2 Ivy League graduates that work for my firm. I also have graduates from LHU, IUP, Juniata, and PSU as employees. The man/woman makes the career not the school. The road may be a little tougher sometimes but THOSE PSAC schools have graduated some incredibly successful people.

gohawks63
    Participant

Lavin out at St. John’s. This may cost them at least one recruit. Speculation is centering around Chris Mullin or one of the Hurley boys to step in.

I would expect Bobby Hurley to stay at UB to demonstrate stability and consistency. Also, talented roster there ..

toddcudd
    Participant

The Lavin news really surprised me. Wonder where he’ll end up? I think highly of him; betting he lands softly somewhere.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

My wife is an ESU graduate and is amazed at the increased academic prowess of the PSAC compared to the 1960’s. Much of it has to do with the dramatic increase in the $$$ difference between the Lehigh’s, Bucknell’s, etal, and the PSAC schools. This has created a huge increase in applications, particularly from in state kids, and much more selectivity in admissions. Further, the core curriculum have diversified over the years, moving away from being just a “teacher” schools.

Don’t have any inside information, but maybe CR & his family had planned to take the financial hit for at least two years and see if he could break through on the court. Wouldn’t be surprised if he finally decided he wanted to play his last too years, get a very good degree, and save his family a lot of $$$. Would love to see him tear up the PSAC next year. The Lehigh community wishes him the best in the future.

TMH
    Participant

Maybe someone needs to talk me down from this high, but here goes.
    In 2010-2011, the Lehigh basketball team went 16-15 and lost in the SF of the Patriot League tournament. They then lost Ojo, Small, Keefer and Safstrom to graduation while picking up Schaefer, Cvrkalj and Baltimore.
    In 2011-2012, their former ROY, POY becomes a junior. Their PG is now a soph and has a year under his belt. This team goes 27-8 and wins the PL title without the services of Greiner to any real extent and then of course defeats Duke. That was by all accounts the best season of LehIgh basketball in our history.
    In 2014-2015, Lehigh goes 16-14 and lost early in the Patriot League tournament. They lose that trio of Schaefer, Cvrkalj and Baltimore (about 10% of our offensive production) and replace them with Holba, Leufroy and Sedore (2 *** recruits and a 6-11 C)
    In 2015-2016, the former ROY/POY becomes a junior. Our point guard (ROY) will be a soph and have a year under his belt. Can this team be as good as or better than the one we had in 2011-2012? Keep in mind that I’m fully aware that the win over Duke had as much to do with the alignment of the stars as it did talent. If we stay healthy, I think we can.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.