OOC. 3-2

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football OOC. 3-2

This topic contains 38 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  LehighGuy 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Heard it is a serious concussion. Wont see him back for a while.
    Expect Gate to be tight game.
    Dont think it will be as high scoring.

just a fan
    Participant

I was 1 of those guys saying #17 should play more and I fully stand by it. Let’s be real about it. Unless your Alabama you can’t stop both pass and run PERIOD. Where did we get burned all season last year in the pass game?? From the slot fellas. I watched every game #17 hasn’t gave up a big play down field yet. He sticks to every good slot player likes glue. I agree not a tackler but dam he covers. And let’s be real both safeties hasn’t made a tackle all year. He’s playing the slot really good for us. And for that every player misses tackles every single game. I’m just happy we winning. Be positive we on our way.

I GOT WINNERS!!!

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Eastern Washington, the No. 4 team in the country and the team with the No.1 offense in the country (a couple of spots above Lehigh), is ranked 103 in terms of total defensive yards.

In terms of the defense, what I very much like about how they’ve played in the wins is how they’ve done in the second half of games and how they’ve done to close out games. 0 points to Penn, 7 points to Yale, 14 points to Princeton. This three game winning streak is exactly what I was dreaming of seeing going into an enormous game vs. Colgate.

Guardian14
    Participant

Since everyone seems to be interested in rankings here are a few i thought were impressive:

Our secondary and pass defense, which everyone likes to rip apart is 13th in the country. As Just a Fan pointed out it’s hard to be good at stopping the run and the pass. Everyone was complaining how our secondary stunk last year and needed to improve. Looks like it has. 17 is apart of that as are the safeties (including the freshman all of you were ripping on).

We are also 21st in FCS in interceptions….again, pretty damn good.

3rd down conversion (defense) is 40th in the country. we would certainly like this to be better but look at some of the teams behind us..including the current #1 ranked team and defending national champs.

The Special teams seemed to have an off day Saturday. Someone made the point about starters on the punt coverage. I agree. We need to take a look at that. Our kickoff defense is ranked 8th in the country so we seem to be doing well there.

We also rank 20th in penalties per game. a sign of a focused and well coached team.

Offensively we are ranked really high in almost every
    category. We all know that. I provide the other stats just to give everyone some perspective.

We HAVE to get better defending the run. We do not get enough penetration and we do not set the edge. Improvement in these areas is critical if we have any chance of making a run at the PL title. All that is in our way right now is the run defense…it has to get better.

LehighGuy
    Participant

for those saying our pass D is ranked 13th in country, please understand that most teams dont pass on us because they DONT HAVE TO! if you can run the ball why pass? thats football 101. 17 cant tackle period. as far as safeties go, my goodness, just watch the games and tell they performed well, impossible. i saw 25 play against princeton when 6 got hurt and he made some nice solo tackles, yet he didnt play against yale, isnt he his backup? reminded me when 42 started for 5 and had 12 tackles yet they didnt play him next couple games. put guys in there that performs. 25 always plays well when giving the chance. 17 might be good cover guy, but we need help against the run, wheres 28,27 who are run stoppers. i expect the Colgate QB to have a fields day running the ball on us like the Penn qb did. we cant expect our O to be on fire EVERY game and bail the D out

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by  LehighGuy.

Guardian14
    Participant

Some additional football 101 for you:

Lehigh has faced 131 pass attempts. 8 of the teams who rank ahead of us from a Pass defense standpoint have faced fewer pass attempts. 31 of the top 50 have faced less. You point that teams don’t pass against us is not valid. Our offense is excellent! When we get the lead teams are forced to pass particularly in the second half. Our pass defense has allowed us to protect those leads and had played very well in the second half is the last 3 games. Football is a TEAM sport and you can’t win without all 3 facets of the team contributing.

I certainly agree with everyone that our defense is our hard to watch at times…I have said it before, Our run defense HAS to improve. It is certainly our weak spot.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

[quote quote=28540]Some additional football 101 for you:

Lehigh has faced 131 pass attempts. 8 of the teams who rank ahead of us from a Pass defense standpoint have faced fewer pass attempts. 31 of the top 50 have faced less. You point that teams don’t pass against us is not valid. Our offense is excellent! When we get the lead teams are forced to pass particularly in the second half. Our pass defense has allowed us to protect those leads and had played very well in the second half is the last 3 games. Football is a TEAM sport and you can’t win without all 3 facets of the team contributing.

I certainly agree with everyone that our defense is our hard to watch at times…I have said it before, Our run defense HAS to improve. It is certainly our weak spot.

[/quote]
    +1

LehighGuy
    Participant

ok gaurdian, teams that have passed against us did so successfully completing well over 67% of those passes. granted we have 6 int, 4 from Lbs and DL. and to your point teams were forced to pass and we KNEW it and they still completed 67% of their passes. when we face a good QB im just scared we will be exposed bigtime. this is the week i think so. colgate can do both, glad their D is on our level. i just cant stomach seeing these post talking about the D when we all know its much to be desired. and to only compare them to last yr when we were one of the worst in all of FCS is saying how far LU D needs to come. heres hoping they shut me up this week, i hope so!

van
    van
    Participant

given that D is our weak spot, seems to me coaches have chosen to “cheat” toward pass D at the expense of run D, a little bit of choosing our poison, if we could cut down on the missed tackles which have lead to big gains the run D would not look quite so bad

the object is to win games, no style points in football, given that our O is strong and should be able to move the ball on just about anyone on our schedule (first half of Monmouth not withstanding), this may indeed be the best option available

Guardian14
    Participant

Teams are completing 57.25% of passes against us not 67%. It’s important to have your facts correct!!!!!

More football 101:

When you play with the lead you coverage philosophy changes. Keep everything in front of you and in bounds. Your safeties play deeper and overall coverage is designed to avoid the big play. We seam to do this well and small crossing patterns or dumps to the backs are what is left…hence interceptions by the linebackers and DL.

Again, I don’t want to come off as defending our defense…we need to improve…dramatically. I just get tired of all the negativity and arm chair quarterbacking.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Ok 57%, my fault. But read in other thread what yale QB said bout leaving points on field. He wasn’t lying. I counted 4td passes he shouldvery had because wrs got behind our safeties n nickel back. If that was Mayes those were tds, I the Colgate QB a litter more accurate than him. If he connected on those passes that was a much different game. And Yales O is horrible. Like I said, hope our D shuts me up this week. Hope the coaches saw what I did, I’m sure Colgate coaches did

buck
    Participant

Not sure why anyone would want to go to Colgate, so cold and dreary and little chance of getting any decent tail. Lehigh should put up 50 and win easily.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Like your reasoning buck. Got’em home , payback time again ( Yeah we have a lot of payback this year)

just a fan
    Participant

Thx Guardian. That was good insight nothing against Lehig Guy, but you come off a bit to negative for me hey but i understand. I’m sorry just passionate about your football. Keep in mind that if our offense showed up against Monmouth we a nationally ranked team with a bad defense. I look at it this way. When our linebackers are coming forward we are a good defense against the run. But simply put its not the kids fault at all not blaming coaches either. Play the hand your dealt and compete. If we had a jumbo package or 4 down lineman defense package. You right 25 played well each time he was called upon. Don’t know why he was beat out by the freshman but it’s coaches decision.

I GOT WINNERS!!!

LehighGuy
    Participant

Buck what kind of tail u talking about? My mind in the gutter, it’s good tail everwhere…..lmao! Go Lehigh!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.