Overseas Trip??

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Overseas Trip??

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 11 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

LUHoops00
    Participant

Lots of new bodies, strikes me as perfect time to use your overseas trip allotment? So I would do a trip this summer if possible! When have we done one last? I can’t recall.

d

LU65
    Participant

What are the NCAA or perhaps Lehigh’s own rules re: locations, numbers/frequencies allowed, and expense. Sure Bison 137 or others may chime in with the answers. Like the idea and the chance it gives a young team to bond. There’s also, of course, a number of offshore preseason tournaments.

Time to do some research.

TMH
    Participant

I believe the NCAA allows 1 overseas trip every 4 years. I am not sure what Lehigh allots but even Canada would be an opportunity to experiment with all the new personnel. I fully agree Hooops. Baseball, softball, swimming, tennis etc all go on winter break trips every year. Lacrosse made a trip to Denver. A trip to Canada may even be good for recruiting and give SC his “home game”.
    To follow up though….what kind of schedule should the AD put together for next year? Could we be ready for early season OOC big boys? BTW nobody mentioned that Robert Morris, who we defeated handily made the NIT AND beat Kentucky.

LUHoops00
    Participant

CJ, Holden, Gabe, and BJ all leaving….and 5 new schollies entering program and a preferred walk on who lead the state of PA in scoring and has a good chance to develop at this level for our program.

If I’m Reed and I’m sticking around, I book an overseas trip asap and get this team some summer game action and bonding experience. Seems like an absolute layup, which is why I’m shocked I thought of it because it makes perfect sense!!

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Stuff like that costs money. Lehigh b-ball not exactly an ATM. Bball needs some sugar daddies like some of the other sports.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Ngineer – I know it costs money, but I think the team has been good for the school due to Duke win, can’t put price tag on most searched university per google in 2012 or on the amount of “Beat Duke” gear LU sold…and we got what a $1 B endowment, surely spending 30-40 K on a 10 day trip is equivalent to you or I buying a gatorade at the local wawa….that is small time loose change in the scheme of things….

TMH
    Participant

LUHoops00,
    Actually it doesn’t have to be a 10 day trip and it doesn’t have to be literally overseas. If the point of the excursion is to evaluate all the new players and getting them to gel early, that can be accomplished with a 3-4 day trip to Canada.
    Duquesne used to do this trip every 4 years. Since there was always a large turnover, the timing always seemed to be right. They would play 4-5 games over that period, usually against all-star teams or semi-pro players. It could serve as a homecoming game(s) for SC and also an opportunity to recruit that area. I’m guessing it would not be that much more expensive than the homecoming trips we have made recently to Texas (2X), Michigan, California etc.
    Just a thought. If I see BR, JS or BG over the next several weeks, I will ask about it. Any other questions you or anyone else would like asked?

LUHoops00
    Participant

TMH – well aware it doesn’t need to be Italy, Canada would do, the biggest point of this is whatever the cost it is A.) Worth it and B.) we can afford it…and I don’t know what the maximum days allowed are, but msot teams I think do between 7-10 days, so if you can do up to 10 why not do 10. I’d think Reed and staff would want more games and time with trip than less, since you only get one of these per 4 years might as well make them count! Right?

If you see those guys, I’d ask if Reed has signed an extension by then and I’d ask why we don’t go overseas. Those are the big two right now.

toddcudd
    Participant

If it’s a real option, I think it would be priceless.  With the HUGE amount of turnover this year, seeing these guys play together could be very beneficial, I think.  Hell, it’s not my money – but I love the idea.

If any of the young guys are going to do a camp in the Triangle area, I’d even try to see some of that.  I have caught the bug, bad…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.