Patriot League Expansion!!!!!

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Patriot League Expansion!!!!!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  The-Last-Engineer 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bogus megapardus
    bogus megapardus
    Participant

Here you have it folks – the long-awaited announcement:

MIT Joins Patriot League as Associate Member

I can’t wait to hear the commentary on this one.

LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

Not even sure what to make of this. A top-notch institution, but does this really do anything for the League as a whole. Not really. I don’t know if there are specific membership minimums needed to qualify, but given the low number of sponsoring schools for this sport, it may just be a membership of convenience.

Net-net, I don’t think we should read too much into this.

Still hoping for scholarships and possibly the addition of RPI at some point in the not too distant future. I know there was some discourse on recently proposed intra-divisional movement, so I’m not sure if this is even realistically possible anymore.

bogus megapardus
    bogus megapardus
    Participant

I think it’s a complete farce and it degrades the Patriot League as a whole, but that’s just my view.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Looks like I’m going to need a "women’s rowing" heading on this message board.

FWIW here’s the reason behind it:

The Patriot League does not dictate its members’ competitive schedules, other than requiring attendance at the championship regatta; therefore the Engineers will continue to race at the Eastern Sprints and against EAWRC squads during the regular season. An associate membership with the Patriot League will allow MIT to adapt to the changes that are occurring in the structure of women’s rowing. Beginning in 2011, the NCAA will grant automatic bids to conference winners for a spot at the NCAA Championship. Since the EAWRC is not an NCAA-recognized conference, the Patriot League membership will provide MIT crew with a competitive home in an established Division I conference and the opportunity to advance to the NCAA National Championship.

It’s a convenient stop for a D-III school with a non-revenue D-I sport to park their sport and still be able to compete for D-I championships. Might it develop into something bigger? Maybe, but my impression in general is that the Johns Hopkins’, MIT’s, and RPI’s of the world are quite happy with their dual citizenship and the only way they’d move up is if the NCAA made it illegal to do it.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Great. Now the PL will be adding Tiddlywinks to the athletic budget….Well, I guess we can afford that… :roll:

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

:o Do you know how much good winks cost nowadays?

The-Last-Engineer
    Participant

Well… at least there will finally be a team officially named "Engineers" back in PL competition.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.