Patriot League Transfers

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Patriot League Transfers

This topic contains 87 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

Wow. Did not see this coming, and am very disappointed to see it.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Wow,that is surprising. Guess he figured his PT would not get any better next year,with Leufroy coming.A true loss for our team. Hope it works out for him.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Ugh. Simelton was an LFN fave.

toddcudd
    Participant

One of my favorites too; I had a lot of hope for his next season. A deceptively big blow to the team, too, imo. Between this and CS graduation, we now have nearly zero minutes of backup PG experience. I think MS would have seen significant minutes at the 2 next year also.
    I hope TJ is ready to roll…

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Ut may be that he wants to be THE PB not just a backup at 1 and 2.A tough liss for us.

TMH
    Participant

I too did not see this one coming. I also have no idea what prompted the transfer. I have always felt that when an athlete comes to a school like Lehigh, it is to use their athletic abilities as a vehicle to get a great education. Very, very few athletes ever get to the next level, even at the powerhouse schools. So if this was an athletic decision alone, I think he may have made it for all the wrong reasons. Just my opinion.

With that being said, I had no idea how Doc was going to spread the minutes out at the PG/wing positions. KL was certainly going to come in and challenge for a lot of MS’s minutes. MH, is primed to get a bunch of minutes , much of it as a wing player. Ap seems to be established at one wing position and BA has the potential to make quantum leaps. I do wonder how this will impact the recruiting picture. Will we try to bring in somebody late this year or hold it for next year? Is SW’s scholarship open this year? Next year?

toddcudd
    Participant

By my math, we now have an open schollie for next year. Unless it’s given to JRG.

pafan11
    Participant

I saw this coming. IMHO MS out performed the last 10 games many players that got more significant minutes than him. Performance did not seem to equate to minutes for MS not sure why. Wish him luck on his new journey.

toddcudd
    Participant

Correction: looked back at the numbers, and I think we have one available even if JRG is now on schollie. By class, Sr. to Fr. next year, I see 3-3-3-3, counting JRG as a schollie Jr.

pafan11
    Participant

Not sure why Reed would put JRG on Schollie. JRG had no impact last year and I don’t see that changing. Unless JRG is going to leave unless scholarship is offered it makes no sense. Reed can use it to bring in another player this year or next.

TMH, I agree with what you are saying about the academics but I think the athlete that is more concerned with academics than playing time at any D1 program is few and far between. Most of these kids get to the D1 level because they are gifted athletically, and love to play. When they don’t get minutes they look to where they can, just look at the number of transfers in men’s bball every year. I also think in today’s world the gap in the level of education between schools is getting much smaller. With a 4yr degree carrying about as much weight as a HS diploma did 15 years ago, is it really as important where you go to school now as it was 15 years ago? I would say no unless you are trying to break into the countries top 5% income bracket. How many of these kids think in those terms?

TMH
    Participant

pafan11,
    Actually, I really do believe it may be a matter of where you go. I’m not strictly speaking about the quality of the education but the quality of the network. I recently talked to seeral students who actually brought up that point.
    But here’s the thing, if MS was getting no minutes, your point may be valid. However, as a sophomore, he averaged about 16 min/game and over 19 mpg over the last 9 games…crunch time. So, if this an athletic decision, then it may be more about what he sees coming in rather than looking back. But you may be right, he may want to be the KR of another team but there is absolutely no guarantee of that happening on the D-1 level.
    As for the #s in men’s basketball, I’ve found that the Ivies and the PL may be an anomaly. Most major conference schools work on a year to year basis. You don’t perform in your freshman, they can yank your scholarship. My son attended an A-10 school, lower level and every year, they brought 5-6 new recruits. The weird
    thing is that they would signs these kids and then a month later 4-5 would announce they were transferring. I think it’s part of the beauty of the PL.

pafan11
    Participant

TMH,
    I am in agreement with you 100 percent that MS purely making the decision on a athletic basis could be a big mistake. I also agree that the networking opportunities at elite academic schools separates them from many other schools (reason why 1% of the population holds the majority of the countries wealth). Although I would not put PL schools any where close to Ivy league schools in terms of networking opportunities. My argument is that very few of today’s athletes are thinking about networking opportunities or the level of academics. Granted the PL I am sure does not have the transfer rates of most schools. That I believe in large part is due to the fact that most of the PL scholarship players get significant minutes throughout their career. I just see today’s athlete as having (IVY league might be exception) as a play first academics second kind of mindset. Does anyone believe TK, AP, or KR would stay at Lehigh if they where looking at 16 to 18 minutes a game playing time? Do not get me wrong I am not saying more minutes are guaranteed somewhere else or that if you only get 16 to 18 minutes its not what you deserve. I am saying I doubt many scholarship athletes today would stay just for the school if they thought they could play more somewhere else.

lehigh90
    Participant

Disappointing, but no real surprise here when you look at the big picture. He has a better, younger player playing in front of him. He would spend the next 2 years as the backup to KR, and I don’t think he would ever start at the 2 on this team, due to a classmate, AP, is better fitted for that spot. I liked his spark off of the bench, but he is a competitor and wants to play. I don’t think it is a huge loss for Lehigh. They have a highly rated PG coming in, and a potential All-PL PG for the next 3 years in the lineup.

Wish him the best, and hope he lands somewhere good. I would assume he is headed somewhere closer to home.

toddcudd
    Participant

Here’s the thing. We will never know what drew a player to choose LU, and by the same token, we won’t know what drew them to leave. Lots of factors, obviously. Minutes, sure. Quality of education? Yes. Cultural fit, of course. Weather? Proximity to home? Who knows?
    Things have definitely changed since old farts like me were at LU. Even more so for you REALLY old farts like Rich :-)
    These kids dedicate a HUGE amount of energy to their sport – far more than we did. Unless I was blind to it, AAU hoops was not a factor. Yes, being a schollie school makes a difference. PL schools now get kids who have committed themselves at that wholly new level; year-round, full-time work. I don’t fault them for that either. The game is a big part of who they are, even if they don’t have NBA dreams.
    On the move-down option – that’s clear, to me. A kid like CR loves to play the game – not just watch it. He took his shot, reaching a bit maybe, and it didn’t work out. Kudos! Gave it a rip, and will now go where he can play the game he loves and committed so much time to.
    I’m eager to hear where MS goes. Could move down, just for minutes. But I doubt that’s the case. My guess is that he makes a lateral move, and gets his shot. I hate to see him leave, but I hope he kills it wherever he lands.

lehigh90
    Participant

My guess is he is making a lateral move within Division I, closer to home for more playing time, kind of like SW to Campbell. My guess is that MS ends up somewhere on a lesser Horizon or MAC team. He was one of the top PGs in the State of Illinois, when he came out of HS.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.