Patriot League Transfers

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Patriot League Transfers

This topic contains 87 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author

lehigh90
    Participant

These transfers destinations are always head scratchers for me?

Simelton – Lewis University (I thought I knew most universities in the US, but never heard of it, D2)

Whitfield – Campbell University

But, both guys went home, so I guess that’s the big draw.

toddcudd
    Participant

The fact that Miles went D2 (avoiding a year off) also reinforces, in my mind, that he just wanted to play.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Kind of surprised to see Miles end up D2. I know he wasn’t the starter, and wasn’t going to be, and maybe he was homesick – but I still wonder if he would have started the process had he known this is where he would end up. Curious what his other options were when he put his name out there but don’t think we’ll ever know.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Betting he thought his options were better than they actually were. Lewis a pretty decent school and a D-II power but my feeling is that wasn’t what he was aiming for.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

The transfers are the result of over recruiting at the G position. This has been an obvious problem in recent years and results in young men being stuck on the bench and demoralized with few minutes during games. Compare men’s BB with softball where each recruit is targeted in a logical manner.

TMH
    Participant

Hawkineer,
    Sorry, but I’m still not buying the “too many guards” argument. As a sophomore, Miles was getting nearly 16 minutes/game and trending upward until the tournament. We lost 2 guards in this past senior class and picked up 1. If his expectations were to be the starting PG and we recruited one who was better then so be it. If a few more minutes per game is the basis for choosing a college, then I suggest his priorities are backwards. The fact that he is close to home suggests some homesickness.
    As for softball, there are now 18 girls on the team. Only 9 averaged more than 1 AB/game. Many have a role as a PR and they accept that role and will graduate with a good degree and move on. That is where the real lesson comes in.
    Just my opinion.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I also think we should recruit more big men, but it’s not necessarily that simple. With 13 scholarships and 5 starters, there are going to be at least 3 scholarship guys that are 3rd string. MS was second string because KR is better, not sure that qualifies as illogical recruiting.

MS was getting pretty decent minutes as a soph on a team that looks poised for some real success. He chose to return home and/or seek a starting spot elsewhere but I don’t put this one on the coaches.

Edit: Looks like TMH beat me to it!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by StablerBum StablerBum.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Cannot compare softball and Bball in much else other than the names on their uniforms. Having 2 good PGs us a bonus not a mistake. Clear that Ross a much superior player and Miles did not to play behind him for his entire career. OK,his call whether we agree or disagree with his reasons. Guess he wanted more than just be an important player on a team. Perhaps he wants to be THE player like he was in HS. Likely we dont know all the aspects here.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Let’s see: five sophomore guards on last year’s roster and six others- including two freshmen – one who is tapped to start. 11 guards overall.
    One true center and two only two forwards of size.
    Granted that it is very difficult to attract big guys who are not projects but there is a point, if you are a recruited player , that the numbers and chemistry do not make sense.

van
    van
    Participant

how many of those guards are walk ons?

and the incoming class is 2 bigs and 1 SG, typical line up is 2 bigs, 1 PG, 1 SG, 1 “wing”

certainly not overloaded on bigs, but don’t see the mixture as a negative to the team needs

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by van van.

toddcudd
    Participant

I’m with several of the posters above on this. While I agree that we had an imbalance of guards-to-bigs for a couple of classes, I don’t think that’s the issue at this point. Frankly, I think we’re just thin in terms of depth right now, across the board. By my count, we have one recruited senior guard (DC) and one recruited junior guard (AP). SW’s transfer certainly didn’t help, but he also wasn’t a true post-player either.
    The real issue right now, I think, is that we have 2 less (recruited) scholarship players than we should. I get the impression that we may use those scholarships for PWOs when they are available, but the point stands. The incoming class should help in a lot of ways, but I also think that’s it’s very important that we get two wide-body bangers in the 2016 class. Adding a late big to 2015 would have made me feel better, for sure – but I’m just gonna have to trust that the staff will fill the needs with a strong 2016 class.

van
    van
    Participant

who backs up KR this year?

2016 class will need a PG ready to step in since KR will be a senior then, and every class should have a post player, the third recruit should be best available after that

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Is there another option other than Jenkins?

Recruiting? A PG #1 after that at least one big,preferably two.Holba may turn out to be a rebounder and a scorer. If so,agree with van get the best available for the 3rd schollie.

TMH
    Participant

My bet is that Kyle Leufroy will emerge as the backup PG. Like KR, he is a *** recruit. He played at a level that should make him college ready almost immediately. It is my hope however that Jenkins wants to have something to say about that. Competition benefits everyone.

lehigh90
    Participant

I think KL is going to be backup PG as well. The fact that TJ could find no minutes as a frosh does not bode well, based on history.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.