Penn

This topic contains 48 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  LehighGuy 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

These quotes in the Morning Call alone should get Coen fired or committed.

Coen and the staff made changes after the Yale game and went to a more physical practice.“That helped us,” he said. “That made us better this week.”

Coen said. “It was a Ping-Pong game, going back and forth and back and forth. I thought our kids competed really against a real good team.”

Coen said. “We’re going to keep working and I think we did make strides from last week to this week.”

WTF is he looking at! These statements are the definition of insanity!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Mind boggling. Dont get what game he was watching. Yeah O was better overall. OL better on run still shaky on picking up the blitz. Mayes mostly very good. At times he tried to force plays leading to TOs. I chalk that up to the ridiculous pressure on O to score knowing D wont stop anybody. He does need to improve his reads Still looks down his primary too long at times.
    D nothing there seemed to show much if any improvement. They did make some plays but got zero TOs and just 1 punt. Cannot for the life of me see how that signifies anything positive.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by RichH RichH.

hawktalker
    Participant

We don’t know what Andy says to the team behind closed doors. These were comments to reporters. Maybe he doesn’t want to call the team out publicly. I imagine he’s more candid on Sundays with the team

marco
    marco
    Participant

Blaming any of this on the offense is ridiculous. Mayes is not perfect, but thanks to the “point a minute” defense, he must feel tremendous pressure to put TDs (not FGs) on the board on every single possession.

Here’s facts for you- since the halfway point in the 2013 season (an 8-3 year), LUs defense has sucked. That’s it and you can see that several of the highest scoring games by opponents in recent history (60 years) have come under Andy’s watch.

And making things worse, much, much worse, is this fact – his teams are soft against Ivy teams, Monmouth and even PL teams.

He made Penn look like Penn State…

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Geez I sure hope so. Gotta call D staff on the carpet first.

van
    van
    Participant

philly fan, do you watch the game, Nace is getting a lot of playing time, Morrow may have been dinged because he got a lot of reps against Yale but I did not see him yesterday, and for those who want to dump on Mitchell, he did not get many reps, DL is not the biggest issue, it’s the LBs out of position and DBs not getting off blocks

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Morrow dinged. DL is not the issue vs runs. Johnson doing a decent job holding the edge. Neither starting LB seems to know their gap assignment . They are out of position more often than not. RBs free in 2ndary pretty much a sure 10-15 yds id we make tackle if not another big play TD. Sound familiar. DL usually going 4 vs 6, LBs have to fill the right gaps.
    Walker was better at doing his role when in. A related issue is Roberts continued reluctance to rotate DL.

LehighForLifer
    Participant

THIS DEFENSE IS A PRODUCT OF A COACHING STAFF HANDING JOBS TO KIDS WHO DONT BELONG ON THE FIELD. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

CALLING THIS COACHING STAFF A D3 STAFF IS AN INSULT TO D3 COACHES.

THERE ARE FASTER STRONGER KIDS ON THE BENCH. THIS LB SICH REMINDS ME OF LAST YEAR VS NH WHEN WE INSERTED HARVEY IN THE MIDDLE WHEN CASLOW WAS HURT. SHOULD HAVE BEEN A REAL LB. RESULTS LAST YEAR AND THIS YEAR ARE THE SAME.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

[quote quote=32161]We don’t know what Andy says to the team behind closed doors. These were comments to reporters. Maybe he doesn’t want to call the team out publicly. I imagine he’s more candid on Sundays with the team

[/quote]
    How about calling out the staff and himself who are grown men? I understand protecting the players. However patting themselves on the back for improvement is ridiculous! It’s better to say nothing at all rather than complete and utter nonsense.

This one pissed me off! Coen said. “It was a Ping-Pong game, going back and forth and back and forth. I thought our kids competed really against a real good team.” It seems to be a moral victory comment. Lehigh was supposed to be a really good team. Anyone watching this game could not believe that this defense competed at all, especially during the second half.

To the offenses credit, they stayed after it despite knowing they were never going to catch and pass Penn because the D was incapable of getting one stop let alone multiple stops.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Here’s something I’d want on my coaching resume: Gave up 615 yards vs. an FCS team a week after a D-II school held them to 559.

Time for someone at the top … in D leadership or head coach … to be accountable.

Something is not working and hasn’t for several years. A retired coach probably could do no worse. Let’s be honest.

Lehigh has the second-worst total defense in the nation. Can’t get much worse.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Very troubled by Andy’s postgame. He seems tired and resigned. Almost like he’s given up.After a game like this I would expect his normal venting of anger and frustration. Now just somewhat delusional Pollyanna comments. Not sure what to think but find it very troubling.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

It does sound like AC is disconnected or …

I’ve seen his comments, and can contrast them to those of an NFL team that has nowhere near the upside of LU.

Todd Bowles appears on camera to be the right mix of accountability and optimism. His underdog Jets were competitive with a strong Raiders team, but last week he blasted them for giving up big plays, pledging mistakes would be handled.

This week they were, and he explained why, and the Jets beat the Dolphins.

There is no reason the coaching staff should not be able to get the D fixed, unless it’s not up to the task or, like last year, is just waiting to play Patriot League patsies — then claim the defense is improved.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Needed time to calm down. What a disgrace. Sut has been in charge of the D for past 3yrs, ask any player. Bott is not calling anything. These are ALL Suts handpicked Dbs back there that cant make a tackle. when he gave O’neil the starting safety job first day of practice, he lost respect from alot of players. Now LU makes him DC and this is what you get when the players dont respect you. The D is worse than it was before Sut showed up. He needs to go. We have talent on D, they play “their guys” instead of kids that are better and hungrier. No accountability for missed tackles and assignments, just keep giving same kids opportunities. 90,2,7 and 5(at safety only) are only kids that even look like they care. Hopefully 9 and 6 have played themselves out of a position. I did see some changes 2nd half in secondary, i guess it takes your job being in jeopardy to play the kids that can save your job. Brags needs help in backfield, 22 and 33 are not it, no vision at all.

marco
    marco
    Participant

All loses. Points given up.

2013- Fordham 52…Bucknell 48…Lafayette 50

2014- UNH 45…Yale 54…Bucknell 45…Fordham 48

2015- JMU 55…Princeton 52…Fordham 59…Colgate 49

…see a trend?

buck
    Participant

No fun reading all the negative comments takes away from my shtick.

Starting a new positive theme from here on.

Lehigh 50 -0 over Wagner.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.