Perception

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Perception

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

In an earlier post, Miller was waxing nostalgic about our 2010 football which was 10-3, undefeated in the PL and course made the playoffs. He indicated that the catalyst behind this success was naming Lum as the starting QB.
    The offensive line was anchored by an All American (Rackley) who was drafted in the 3rd round, featured a future All American wide receiver (Spadola) who also spent time in the NFL, had future Walter Payton Award runner-up (Lum) at the helm. The offense ran under the tutelage of Super OC Dave Cecchini and averaged an amazing 23 ppg. We yearn for those days.
    Instead we lack that physical presence on the OL. The coach left just prior to the season. We want to bench the QB, get rid of the OC. For some reason this offense is only scoring 23 ppg. Tragic!!
    Ironically, the 2010 team only allowed 23 or more ppg 3 X. They lost all 3 games.
    I wonder if today’s Lehigh fans would have called for Lum’s benching and Cecchini’s dismissal had their defense given up as many points as this one has.
    It’s all about perception. Put all your angst where it belongs or find a passion that will lower your blood pressure :-). Damn statistics!!!

objective observer
    Participant

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RELAX!!!!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well said.I find it odd that so many point to all Shaf’s supposed limitations to conclude that he is not a good FCS QB. Frustration with how our team is doing should not rest on his shoulders. Mayes will be a very good QB but he has a way to go before he will be capable of that. Would not be surprised to see him running his own sets next year. Sort of a reverse Colvin :)

Boss21
    Participant

[quote=22392]Well said.I find it odd that so many point to all Shaf’s supposed limitations to conclude that he is not a good FCS QB. Frustration with how our team is doing should not rest on his shoulders. Mayes will be a very good QB but he has a way to go before he will be capable of that. Would not be surprised to see him running his own sets next year. Sort of a reverse Colvin :)

[/quote]

Exactly. Shaf is a good QB and Mayes will be a good QB. That’s not the problem with this team.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

QB Definitely not our problem.
    One caveat tho for Mayes. OC has shown no inclination to vary O sets or plays. If he is still here,the likelihood of a different O option seems improbable.

TMH
    Participant

Perception #2
    In this era of scholarships, only 2 PL teams have a winning record (yes there are growing pains). Fordham has been playing the schollie game for quite some time and in their initial stages, they sucked too. Bucknell is the other. They have only scored 20 points in 1 game (22 in regulation) but are 3-1. Something tells me, there is far less rancor about their offense than we are experiencing here. Amazing how a solid defense can make your offense look good.
    BTW, Mayes will be a very good QB for Lehigh but he won’t do much to improve this team, this year. It is really difficult for a freshman QB to a run an offense for an entire game esp if he is a flat out thrower and our OL is not that adept at pass blocking. We need rel mobility i our QB.

holyloch61
    Participant

MY POINT EXACTLY !!! Would NEVER go out of my way to DISRESPECT any player . It seems we live in an age when people can say anything they want ,but when they are called out for some comments that’s when you get angry comments and accusations .

Boss21
    Participant

[quote=22404]MY POINT EXACTLY !!! Would NEVER go out of my way to DISRESPECT any player . It seems we live in an age when people can say anything they want ,but when they are called out for some comments that’s when you get angry comments and accusations .

[/quote]

Then you should have just stated your point. I would have agreed with you if you stated that point. With the OL performing like they are a more mobile QB is more beneficial and Shaf is getting it done. We agree on that.

But that’s not what you did though. You questioned why everyone was calling Mayes a real QB and suggested everyone go to his high school’s website to look at their record and for them to look at his stats and so on and so on. Wasn’t that you that told people to do that?

You can’t say that you would never disrespect a player after clearly doing just that. Again, like someone said previously, the players all read these posts.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Players do read the forum. Criticism of play a fact of life as is pointing out mistakes to try to understand where we are as a team. Taking off rants anout specific players is unneccessary. Football is not a one on one sport. It is not one player that decides the vast majority of plays. It is the unit. We saw in Sat a much different 2ndary. Agressive tight coverage,TOs. More likely due to staff changing D call not to a sudden burst of ability. Same on O. OL got stomped by a very good DL that varied from 3 to 4 man line and concntrated on gap rushes by up to 6 on most plays. Did staff adjust in any say to this D to take prsssure off OL and Nick? Nope.

holyloch61
    Participant

Boss I did NOT !! Sorry ,but when a comment is made and capitalized ,WE NEED a REAL QB ,is that not a SNIDE remark about the current QB .IS the guy making this comment saying the Lehigh QB is not any good at being a QB .Boss ,like you stated the PLAYERS read this blog ,how would you take that remark if you were a player .As for telling EVERYBODY to check Mayes stats ,I did not !! My comment was for the person who made the snide remark about a REAL QB ,for him to check the stats if other guys felt like they wanted to check that was up to them .I also did not refer to the size or to what level of play his school played in FL .I will ADMIT that I may go overboard in defending the Lehigh QB ,but in MY opinion ,he is doing the very best that can be done with the play calling by the OC .Shaf has been one of the leading QB’s for a year and a half ,in passing and rushing .Maybe you forgot but I am sure he was forced into playing as a FR. and never given time to really learn college football .

Boss21
    Participant

[quote=22413]Boss I did NOT !! Sorry ,but when a comment is made and capitalized ,WE NEED a REAL QB ,is that not a SNIDE remark about the current QB .IS the guy making this comment saying the Lehigh QB is not any good at being a QB .Boss ,like you stated the PLAYERS read this blog ,how would you take that remark if you were a player .As for telling EVERYBODY to check Mayes stats ,I did not !! My comment was for the person who made the snide remark about a REAL QB ,for him to check the stats if other guys felt like they wanted to check that was up to them .I also did not refer to the size or to what level of play his school played in FL .I will ADMIT that I may go overboard in defending the Lehigh QB ,but in MY opinion ,he is doing the very best that can be done with the play calling by the OC .Shaf has been one of the leading QB’s for a year and a half ,in passing and rushing .Maybe you forgot but I am sure he was forced into playing as a FR. and never given time to really learn college football .

[/quote]

True. I would have taken like that as well. Agree on all of it.

holyloch61
    Participant

Rich I am not trying to be a smart ass and I know you try to be a calming influence and I never intended to denigrate any player or where they played .

TMH
    Participant

Nick is #1 in the PL in passing and #4 in rushing. He is also #8 in the nation in passing. Troy is #1 in the PL in receiving and #12 in the nation in catches and he technically really only played a little more than 3 games. perception one more time. If our defense was playing better..much better, we would be absolutely giddy about our QB. I still am. We are set at that position for the next 4 years. Just my opinion.

Miller
    Participant

THE only stat that matters is W-Ls, Does’t matter if your D is the worst in the league, if your TOP, ints or 3rd down conversion is last. People who focus ONLY on stats and say what should have or could have won that game are lost. Just win baby. Hello TMH……you satisfied with the record?

TMH
    Participant

Miller,
    I’m sorry if you are having trouble understanding this.
    If the 2010 team had a terrible defense, they would have lost the majority of their games. Who would you have blamed, the offense? Would you have benched Lum…I hope not. Would you have fired Cecchini…I hope not. You would have missed an amazing 2011. This offense is every bit as good as the 2010 team. Both are averaging 23 ppg. Find the parts that don’t work and begin fixing it. You are wasting far too much time trying to fix things that aren’t broken.
    Football requires chemistry. Chemistry requires consistency. I wonder how many people wanted Kevin Higgins fired. After all, he started out 5-5-1, 8-3, 5-6, 4-7. You must have been livid. Then they got a new defensive coordinator….you’ll never guess who and the team went 12-1, 10-2, 12-1.
    Pete Lembo was the FCS Coach of the Year but that didn’t stop these boards from lighting up calling for his ouster. Were you one of them too? He then proceeded to turn around very bad bad Elon and Ball State programs before falling on some recent hard times. He was rewarded with a 5 year contract, making him the highest paid coach in the MAC.
    All I’m asking for is patience and putting your focus where it belongs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.