Pitt – Game 5

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Pitt – Game 5

This topic contains 36 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

Ahhhhhh!!!! Make the bad men stop!!!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks Todd, LMAO. Gotta give our guys kudos fot effort. ahainst a squad totally out of their league.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Ki.d of impressed Pitt only scored 77. There were some nice mome.ts. Best part part was ths commentary on LU basketball and Dov.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

JC no pts,one rebound?

TK nice O inside he has skills,20 pts. Lost on D but he tries.
    SW really impressed on the court.

We actually played pretty good D,just didn’t make any difference, 17-4 O rebounds.

pafan11
    Participant

Not sure I agree with playing good D, gave up countless wide open looks and got blown by over and over. Physical toughness in my opinion is a big question that needs to be answered. Was at the game and did not see a team playing with fire and competitiveness. There is no question Pitt is probably the best team LU will see but I did not see enough fight. I predict that Pitt ends up in the middle of the pack of the ACC and we made them look like National Champions. I am still very optimistic about this team, but they must develop some toughness and fire. I am hoping these are just growing pains. Great atmosphere, the Oakland Zoo and top notch arena.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Only a couple takeaways for me boys:

1.) Hard to win when every miss shot from opponent turns out to be an offensive rebound and put back. Also hard to win when you’re giving up a ton of open or un-contested J’s from perimeter. Defensive intensity, simply not there right now. It could be for a lot of diferent reasons, which we could debate, but its simply not there, yet…

2.) Kempton – It is easy to talk a lot about what he isn’t right now in his first 5 games. He isn’t a leaper. He isn’t a physical specimen. He isn’t a rebounder. He is not a great defender. A few of those will all come with time – now I don’t expect him to ever have a Blake Griffin vertical jump, ahha, but the legit frame and muscle he already has on his frame, it is easy to see him picking up another 20 pounds of muscle to add to a nice frame already. I’d also assume he gets quicker with college weight program, again not going to be speed merchant, but he’ll get quicker. With experience and coaching, and with above weight/speed, he’ll be a better defender. Rebounding, again, all of the above things should help him in that department. Will he ever be Kevin Love cleaning 12+ a game, probably not, but he should be adequate by time he is done from here.
    Now look at what he is already, 5 games into career, he’s going into an ACC barn and controlling the paint in offensive end. He has legit post moves and legit size, you rarely ever see that in PL. He clearly knows how to score, has a nice soft touch. SHowed hook shots, up and unders, spins, face up jumpers….such an impressive offensive arsenal. THis guy is going to average 15 a game by time year is over and by time he gets through with PL schedule, we’re looking at 1800+ point scorer if all things hold. Muscala and Knutson averaged under 10 as a freshman, centers develop and grow throughout college, this is a great start for TK and upside is the moon. VERY Impressed and excited to see him in PL.

SW – impressed me, showed again last night he knows how to get to the tin, against big time athletes. KNows how to draw fouls as well, his upside is big, really pleased with SW, really pleased. He has to get more minutes and I bet he will start to get more because he is playing well.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Just think about TK with 20 more pounds of muscle and a couplel more steps of quickness. He has great soft hands and quick feet in post, guy is going to be a monster.

How long have we talked about bigs with legit size and post presence don’t end up in Pl, well he did!!!

LUHoops00
    Participant

One more for you before I go for the day but now that we know that JRG is walk on, assuming we have one more spot for this class to join TJ and KR, do we have consensus that per rebounding issues we use that spot on a forward?

LUHoops00
    Participant

Doing math TK probably 2000+ if healthy.

toddcudd
    Participant

The positives from this one, from my perspective, now that I’m over the initial grief:
    1.) Totally agreed with all the positive about TK. We need to keep the fact that he is a true freshman in perspective, and that he was playing against, I suspect, top-tier ACC talent. His arsenal in the post is REALLY impressive to me – a bunch of moves that all look good. I agree that he will be a force in the PL for 4 years. I also agree with a post from another thread that his polish in the post is already comparable to Gabe’s as a senior, and I think he’s stronger.
    2.) I think SW is figuring out how he can contribute on O. He is very effective when driving to the basket – whether scoring, drawing fouls, or dishing when help comes. In earlier games he looked intimidated, and like he just wanted to get rid of the ball ASAP. I think he can definitely create some mismatch opportunities for us.
    3.) SC’s performance was night-and-day from previous. Last night he did what we want to see from him. He nailed catch-and-shoot 3s. I have no confidence in my ability to judge defense, but he did appear to move pretty well, to me. At 6’5″, he also offers an advantage on long rebounds vs. guards.

Beyond that, I’m ready to just put this one behind us. It was a mismatch, and I don’t think we could expect to win on our very best day. I think we tried to adjust D to big athletic guys, and they hit open 3s. Whatcha gonna do? Today, I’ll start doing some research on Texas Southern. The worst is behind us now.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I agree with a lot of the comments above. TK’s offensive polish is outstanding for a PL freshman and JC has great potential (I’m also still waiting for one of the highlight reel dunks by JC that we saw on all that U-20 video). But this rebounding thing is not ok, and I don’t care who we are playing against.

If I were Reed, I would start JG and CB next game to show JC and TK that rebounding is important. I’m not saying to cut their minutes significantly or anything like that. But these kids need to learn that they HAVE to rebound. A combined 4 rebounds in 53 minutes from your starting big guys?!?! I wouldn’t let them start until they begin boxing out and attacking rebounds. CB and JG had 6 boards in 23 minutes btw. Also, didn’t AP want to be like CJ? CJ averaged 5 boards a game as a freshman. AP is averaging .6 and only has 3 in 128 minutes!!! It’s effort and toughness and the young guys aren’t showing it.

lehigh90
    Participant

I realize this team is young and developing, and TK is an outstanding young offensive player. SW looked good, as did SC, but mostly in garbage minutes when game was over. But, this team has a lot of problems right now. We don’t defend hard, we aren’t tough, we don’t box out, we don’t give a lot of effort on the glass, and the coaches are not helping cover up these weaknesses. Young teams are going to usually struggle at the defensive end, so somewhat expected. But, Reed needs to hold these guys accountable. I don’t care who you are playing, when you are getting doubled up on the glass, and your leading rebounder is your 6’0″ point guard, there are major problems.

Why is it a team like Bucknell can scare these big teams, and beat some of them, and we can’t play them within 20-30 points? To me, it is simple, Bucknell is well coached, plays hard and handles their business on defense and on the glass. We are 10x more athletic than they are, but we are not in their universe right now. Defense and rebounding are “want to” skills, and we don’t want to, at all. There is a role for defensive minded players and guys who put defense and rebounding before scoring. We don’t have any of those guys, that are seeing significant minutes.

On coaches, you knew what you were getting into with Pitt. You played them at their place last year, with a veteran group, and you got your doors blown off, especially on the glass. Then you go back again this year, with younger, more inexperienced team, and trot out same game plan? Huh? Get blown out again, and murdered on glass. How about switching some things up? Coaching is about making adjustments. How about mixing up your defenses a bit? How about slowing the game down, and getting the tempo into the 50’s? It is not Lehigh’s style, but you are not going to be a team like Pitt playing in the 70’s or 80’s or higher. 56-51, yes that is possible, but not 85-82. I guess there is two different philosophies to these games, play to get ready for regular season, and play to win. I would rather play to win.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Agree 100% ’90. Start CB and JG and tell them their jobs are to rebound and defend. Anything else is bonus. Don’t give TK and JC a start until they commit to being physical, boxing out, and attacking the boards. Personally, I would cut AP’s minutes as well until he starts to contribute on the glass too. The status quo is unacceptable.

pafan11
    Participant

Toughness, Toughness, Toughness! Seems to be a recurring theme. MM is tough no question and maybe AD back helps with this problem. Wish I could see what is happening at practice because I have seen CR play football and basketball and he is tough as nails, must not be getting it done in practice? Anyone know when AD returns or if DC can bring toughness to this team. As I stated early a lot can be attributed to youth but this team has potential to be very good this year IMO. Just need to find the right mix and I think we should trust Coach Reed to find it. His track record is pretty impressive.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by  pafan11.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Toughness,true more is a necessity. Lets not totally forget the mismatches last nite. Dribble drives in the 1st were ridiculously easy. Other than that few uncontested shots for Pitt. They just kept going in. Early 2nd, SW had a Pitt F boxed out for an O rebound. He just went over him and got it anyway. CB and JG as a tandem will help. Most disappointed in JC’s disappearance. Others have yrs of HS habits to rid themselves of,he should not. Doc has to give him a more defined role, not just the one who rotates outside on ever possession.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.