PL Bracketology

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football PL Bracketology

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

This is not comprehensive, but I thought it worth memtioning.

Currently there are 5 Patriot League teams sitting with 4 losses – Colgate, Holy Cross, Georgetown, Lehigh, and Bucknell.

If Colgate runs the table, they will be PL champs.

If Georgetown runs the table, they will be PL champs.

If Bucknell runs the table, Fordham would still be PL champs but could get to 7-4.

If Holy Cross or Lehigh run the table along with Fordham, Fordham would be PL champs, and Holy Cross or Lehigh would be 7-4.

Could one of these teams sneak in as the final playoff selection?

Hear me out.

Holy Cross and Lehigh are sitting at 50 and 52 in Massey right now. Bucknell is much lower, but if they run the table they would have beaten Fordham, so they would rise a lot.

Of the teams ahead of them, two teams have five losses and thus can’t meet the requirement of 7 D-I wins (Cal Poly, Wofford). Six of them are Ivy League schools and thus take themselves out of the running. Finally, two of the three will be MEAC/SWAC teams that are obligated to play in the Celebration Bowl.

10 of these teams will make it with autobids. That leaves about 30 teams battling it out for 14 at-large bids.

A lot of these teams will knock themselves out in conference play. For example, Villanova and Northern Iowa already have four losses. One more loss puts them at 6-5, and theoretically out of the running.

Could this happen:

* Most if not all of the chalk teams win the autobids
    * Enough of the other teams get to five D-I losses

so that a PL team could sneak in as the final at-large qualifier?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by  lfnadmin.
    van
    van
    Participant

Cross at 7-4, maybe depending on what happens in other conferences, Lehigh at 7-4 stays home with not one good win

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

[quote=22956]Cross at 7-4, maybe depending on what happens in other conferences, Lehigh at 7-4 stays home with not one good win

[/quote]

Penn > Albany

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

Don’t you have to consider the “quality” of the losses. LU’s best loss, based on point margin, was to what is turning out to be a middle of the pack IL Yale at home. Their best win will likely be Penn which is also a middle of the pack IL team.

The JMU and Princeton trouncings eliminate us from any chance at an at-large bid even if we win the remaining 4 games by 20+ points.

I don’t see any other PL teams with any quality OOC wins to impress the selection committee.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Interesting calculus, but I would be stunned if a PL team got in with 7-4. League doesn’t get any respect and I don’t think the Committee uses Massey as a barometer. I think FU can be taken by either HC or CU, but we need them both to win for us to have any shot, as well as us running the table.

LehighGuy
    Participant

HC already loss to FU in OT.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

No way … but good effort

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.