PL QUARTERFINALS: Boston University

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball PL QUARTERFINALS: Boston University

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Tonight at Stabler!

LU65
    Participant

Stuck on the West Coast between Monterey and San Francisco. Will be searching for good cell phone reception all afternoon. Thanks to all on advance for updates. Hope to see everyone for the Semis.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A nailbiter tonight. Nerves hitting already. :)

travism
    travism
    Participant

I agree. I am really nervous. This is the one team I wanted to avoid if possible. I don’t like the matchup. But let’s hope for a big win.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well my nerves are damn near shot. What a friggin half. Tough matchups for us same as each game we’ve played with them. Need a real run to get this W. D needs to get some consistent stops.

travism
    travism
    Participant

To be only down three at half I’ll take it the way that went first half

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well home court not helping so far. 2nd starts with 6-0 BU run. Now down 11 and our D truly sucks.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Our D sucks. Last few games we adapted quickly when 3s off. Frosh got the jimjams. Mahoney unconacious. Killed us. We neede one also. Just not there. Live by the 3 yada yada yada.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Too many turnovers.

Need a couple of other big men.

Coupla guys didn’t seem to show up.

Optimistic about next year.

I’m listening to Trail Blazers. Just before half sounds like similar game for Trail Blazers. They’re getting smoked by Timberwolves, but hanging in there.

lehigh90
    Participant

Not much in the way of recapping the season from the usual commentators. Disappointing end to the season. I guess, it ended up the way it should have, very up and down team, ending up about .500. But, after the winning streak, we all expected a deep run in the PL Tourney. I thought they had a real shot against Bucknell in a semi, although Boston U always seems to give us fits. Never good to lose a quarterfinal on your home court. But, BU shot the lights out, and our defense was a weakness all year. BU came back to reality shooting the ball vs Bucknell, and got hammered.

It’s a shame that KR goes out on such a low note, after a stellar career. And, he played great down the stretch during the winning streak. The mystery of this season, for me, will be KL. I expected him to be the best player on the team, and something happened. Ended up losing starting spot, and a non-factor for much of the season. There must be a story there between he and the coaches. And, what happens with him next year. Interesting that his spot, goes to a freshman, who was a non-factor in the PL tourney game.

As usual, many questions moving forward. We got decent contributions out of 3 freshmen, so that is good news. Looks like JC will be a solid PG starter next year, and a 6’10” freshman coming in should help up front. He could and probably should be a starter at the 5, moving JK to the more natural 4 spot. But, too early. Need LT and KL to score the ball again next year. PA back as an obvious starter at the 3. Who knows what happens with EP, and the bigs who really haven’t played yet in a Lehigh uniform. But, all that said, we could be in the mix next year to win PL.

On the coaching front, I thought BR did an admirable job salvaging a season that looked lost, midway through. Looked like he had them peaking at the right time, but he never had much in the way of team defense all season, and it hurt them in a big spot.

Until next year.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Thank you LU90 for your insight and great recap of the season and future prospects. Regarding KL, was he hobbled with some sort of injury or did his game just decline for other reasons? He seemed out of sync offensively all year and maybe a step slower than his sophomore season. Other questions: Is Sedore done? Did not see him on the bench during the last several games. He seemed to have some game the brief cameos he made mid-season. Will we finally see JL next year? What is the ceiling for JC? I think he could be an all league point if he works and gets the minutes along side Wilson & Tejada. How good can JK be if he learns how to finish? Lastly, total agreement on the job doc and his staff did considering the Alston transfer, all the new kids, and of course the continuing health issues with the bigs. A shame the season has ended, but at least we have baseball and warmer weather, hopefully soon!

lehigh90
    Participant

Interesting to note that Alston finished up his college career the other night in an early Ga Tech loss in first round of ACC tourney. He was for GT, pretty much what he was for Lehigh, a 5 ppg scorer, and a low percentage shooter. I think he could have really helped Lehigh this year, but the transfers in college these days are crazy. Plus, he graduated, and didn’t need to sit a year, so it made sense for him. He would have been a starter, and double digit slasher/scorer for Lehigh this year.

I looked back, out of curiosity, last night, at all of the guys who left Lehigh over the last several seasons. It is pretty clear that these transfers never really work out that well. Not sure the trade off is really worth it.

Alston (1 yr Georgia Tech) 32 games, 19 starts, 5.4 ppg, 37 FG %, 36 3FG %

Whitfield (3 yrs Campbell) 98 games, 93 starts, 8.7 ppg, 4 rebounds

Simelton (2 yrs Lewis D2) 64 games, 62 starts, 14 ppg, 44 %, 4 assists

D’Orazio (1 yr Rider) 33 games, 26 starts, 5 ppg, 39 FG %

Jenkins (2 yrs Bellarmine D2, only played one year, missed all this year with injury) 36 games, 36 starts, 8 ppg, 2 assists, 50 FG %

Renninger (2 yrs Lock Haven, D2) 54 games, 52 starts, 6 ppg, 2 assists, 40 FG %

Holba (2 yrs IPFW, TBD) may have 3 years of eligibility left depending on redshirt

You can make your own assessments. All would have been contributors at Lehigh, except Renninger who was a walk on. I think Whitfield and Simelton would have been valuable role players at Lehigh, and were missed. Two guys had graduated, and were free to transfer without sitting, although they would have had more success at Lehigh. 3 went to the D2 level, so difficult to properly assess, and leaves a question of whether the coaching staff missed by offering a scholarship to a perhaps D2 talent?

With the track record over the last several years, we may lose 1-2 more this offseason, who knows.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Nice recap. Other than the grads, the central issue appears to have been playing time. KL is the only player who lost some PT by coming off the bench. Dont understand what happened with him. I also expected him to be a leading scorer and a force on D. He did have his moments off the bench and was a force on D. CS seems destined never to play much, if at all. Young man has had a brutal career. Lieb ,likewise bedevilled by his injuries. He may be ready next year. All our frosh had great seasons. Expect each will continue to improve. Porter?? A question mark.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Nice recap. Other than the grads, the central issue appears to have been playing time. KL is the only player who lost some PT by coming off the bench. Dont understand what happened with him. I also expected him to be a leading scorer and a force on D. He did have his moments off the bench and was a force on D. CS seems destined never to play much, if at all. Young man has had a brutal career. Lieb ,likewise bedevilled by his injuries. He may be ready next year. All our frosh had great seasons. Expect each will continue to improve. Porter?? A question mark.

TMH
    Participant

Guard play has not been an issue. We are very deep and talented. Although some of those players may have contributed, I’m not sure the added value was that high. What has hurt us is the lack of depth in the front court contributing to loose play on defense to avoid foul issues.
    I would make watching the BU defense required viewing this summer :-). If this team team can play with that kind of intensity next year, we are a force. The depth may be there for a change.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.