PL Tiebreaker Mess

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball PL Tiebreaker Mess

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

The only way Lehigh gets the No. 1 seed is if Lehigh wins both its games (@Navy, @Army) and Bucknell loses both its games (@American, vs. Navy).

If Lehigh wins both its games, it can finish no less than No. 2.

I think as Lehigh fans that needs to be the focus.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

There should be a remedial course for us more casual Bball fans in the vagaries of Pomeroy/Massey/RPI etc etc. It all reminds me of Calculus in my freshman year, I had the selfsame glassy eyed stare as now

LU65
    Participant

http://www.ehow.com/how_6701480_calculate-rpi-basketball.html

After reading this, I’m convinced calculus was easier.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks for the link 65. Upon scanning , it reminds me exactly why I became a History major

LU65
    Participant

……and me a Business/Marketing major.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

LOL . I figure the guys who thought the RPI up must be into quantum mechanics or perhaps the Chaos principle . I dont understand those either

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

RPI is not quite as hard as the above link makes it sound.

Basically there are three components – (a) your own adjusted W-L pct (worth 25% of the total); (b) the collective W-L pct of your opponents (worth 50%); and the collective W-L pct of your opponents’ opponents (worth the remaining 25%). So for a basic calculation, first calculate the three components independently:

(A) Your own adjusted W-L pct – This is the most complicated because it is the only one where home court matters – home games carry a weight of 60% and away games carry a weight of 140%. To get a denominator – which is the value of all the games combined – simply multiply each home game by 0.6 and each away game by 1.4. For the numerator, then multiply all home wins by 0.6 and all away wins by 1.4, and add up the sum. Then divide the sum of the wins by the denominator describe above. For Lehigh, the value of the wins is 20 and the value of the losses is 5. Thus LU has an adjusted W-L pct of 20/25 = .80 for the first piece, which gets a 25% weight.

(B) There is no homecourt adjustment for your opponents’ W-L pct. LU’s opponents have a W-L pct of .4343 when each team’s W-L pct is given equal weight. That is the second piece and gets a 50% weight.

(C) LU’s oppnents’ opponents W-L pct is .4838, with each team getting equal weight. That is the third piece and gets 25% weight.

Now the final calculation: .80 x 25% plus .4343 x 50% plus .4838 x 25% = .5381 – which puts LU at 106th in the nation as of this morning.

Notes:

1. Only D1 games count.
    2. Games on neutral courts have a value of 1.0 (as opposed to 0.6 or 1.4).
    3. When calculating opponents’ W-L record, omit the game they played with your own team.

• This reply was modified 12 years, 1 month ago by Bison137 Bison137.

LU65
    Participant

many thanks, 137.

norcalfan
    Participant

I’ll trust the math people out there. I have math phobia. One game at a time folks. High school and college playoffs while trying to maintain a job is too much, but loving it. My supervisors know that during basketball season, I am a happy employee:) that is most times.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks Bison, one step closer to grasping .

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.