Poaching …

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Poaching …

This topic contains 51 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Miller
    Participant

If Favoroso is making a visit near the end of January…………be warned that most kids visit their favorite late in the process.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

More true than not but dont forget they just offered him so guess its early in the process for them as to him. ll we can do is hope Coach Sawyer keeps him convinced.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Of course LU is a better academic school than USF. But were talking about a 18yr old kid. He sees USF on ESPN and TV all the time. Its his home state school. If academics was the basis for kids to pick schools, the Ivies would be the top conference in the land followed by the Patriot! Hundreds of kids turn down the Ivies to got to “below avg” colleges for football. I think LU is in BIG trouble and might lose this kid. Comparing the facilities, home state, fan base, TV exposure and LU doesnt compare.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

LG,
    ssuming an awful lot about this young man. If you take a quick look at his offer sheet you’ll see a number of FBS offers . Over the years,we have offered a lot of players who have gone on to various FBS programs. This ysar included. Very rarely have we lost a recruit to one who.verballed to us. Actually the vast makority of flips have been to the Ivies.
    That said we are in our 3rd schollie year and we have expanded our pool to numbers of prospects with multiple FBS and FCS offers. We dont get many of these young men but more than we ever did pre schollie. This yr the staff has gotten verbals from prospects holding FBS offers. It is no longer a given that we will lose them.
    For now,best in my opinion to respect the young mans decision and wait for NSD.

Doc Qb
    Participant

RichH…I wish I shared your optimism. A Fla kid, a closer school coming in late, bigger program…it just doesnt bode well, especially in an era where u can transfer down easily when you spend a few years in an FBS program.

My hope is the coaches tell these higher end recruits that along with a tremendous free education, EARLY playing time is the rule (not so at FBS for guys we have a shot at). The proof is the underclassman littering our starting roster and not exactly lighting up the skies. This reads to me like opporunity; if I am a recruit not easily swayed by bigger stadiums and a few years on the pine (aluminum), that is meaningful stuff.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Doc,
    I was wrong about late offer. Checking ,he had been offered back in June. So prior to his verbal,he already had multiple FBS offers. To me that is a huge indication that his verbal to LU is well thought out and solid.
    I am more interested now in the rest of our class. My broken record,RBs and CBs. :)

toddcudd
    Participant

I think I shared this link once before, but it makes sense to me to share it again here. The bottom line, to me, is that LU needs to be targeting student-athletes who place a very high value on the education. This is the approach Duke and Stanford take. Academic credentials and ambitions are a “qualifier”, not a “differentiator” for prospects.
    If playing in front of the biggest possible crowds, or having the best possible facilities are top priorities for a prospect, we probably shouldn’t bother recruiting them. I have no evidence to indicate that LU uses this same approach to recruiting, but I would hope (and suspect) that we do.

Recruiting Model

Doc Qb
    Participant

TCudd, I agree somewhat. If we want to target academic minded guys, guys who could maybe play up a level or at a higher tier FCS program, we still have some things to consider. The lure of playing for a top notch academic school still has some schools with facility advantages.

For example, facilities could still make a difference: W&M can offer a kid we want the Laycock center, new stadium on horizon, excellent home crowds, a redshirt year, comparable academics. Same can be said for football only facilities at UPenn (football weightroom), JMU (whole building), Villanova (new weight room), Richmond, Delaware (new weightroom coming, indoor fieldturf facility), and of course the building in Easton. We stack up adequately from that standpoint, but the stand alone buildings like at W&M/JMU/Laff will impress any kid.

toddcudd
    Participant

Understood,doc – totally fair. My point was really more about concern over competing with USF.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Trying to say that the kid “watches USF every weekend on TV” and “playing in front of much bigger crowds” is ridiculous. USF is a below-average team in the AAC with zero shot at a big bowl. If you replace USF with “Florida” or “Florida State” you might have a case, but let’s not pretend the fourth- or fifth-best team in the state is such a wide gulf.

Having said that, I don’t see any reason for him not to officially visit USF. A kid has to go where he’s comfortable. But Lehigh does unquestionably have better academics.

TMH
    Participant

I was intrigued by Chris because I believe he was originally from this general area and is an outstanding wrestler too (2 X Florida champ). Like Kauffman, there are a lot of reasons to come back. Almost immediate playing time may be just one of them at this point. Just saying.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I like the model you found, toddcudd.

LU built a reputation on having smart kids who are good athletes. It pays to have some brains on the field — lots of teams lose games they should have won based on athleticism alone.

TMH
    Participant

Not looking good. I just noticed that he removed the word “Lehigh” from his twitter account

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Not good at all. Got to wait and see what happens.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Not necessarily talking about this guy, but would you really want anyone who verbally commits, then reneges?

In this case, last time I looked, I could not find the original commit tweet.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.