Polls

This topic contains 34 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  lfnadmin 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    van
    van
    Participant

[quote quote=29268]my money is on “Lehigh at UNH”

we are the closest to them and we have no history of out bidding for home games

St Francis could go to YSU or Nova[/quote]

well UHH just lost to Albany today and has to beat Maine next week to make playoffs, meanwhile Maine is shutting out Stony Brook 20-0 at half, could be Maine at Lehigh in round 1?

TMH
    Participant

So, if I’m correct the CAA gets 1 automatic bid that will go to James Madison which in all likelihood will get a bye in the 1st round (top 8)
    Richmond is 8-2 (5-2 CAA) and will certainly get a bid and possibly a bye with the Chatanooga and Central Arkansas
    Villanova is 7-3 (5-2) is is certainly in the playoffs (I think)
    Hew Hampshire and Maine are both 6-4 (5-2) and play each other in Maine next weekend. Maine has already played Villanova. NH has not.
    If Richmond does get a bye. There will be 4 NE slots available. Lehigh, Villanova, St. Francis and NH/Maine winner.
    My semi-educated guess is that we play the winner of the NH/Maine game and Villanova plays St. Francis. It likely maximizes the biggest payday for the NCAA, eliminates inter-conference play altogether in the 1st round and prevents a return matchup of Lehigh/Villanova and minimizes travel expenses for all involved.
    Just my opinion.

hawktalker
    Participant

It doesn’t minimize travel for the road team in the Lehigh-UNH or Lehigh-Maine matchup. But if Lehigh hosts I guess that’s a good thing

TMH
    Participant

Not sure I understand. Out of Villanova, Lehigh, St. Francis, which one is closest to either NH or Maine?
    Villanova and Lehigh are pretty much equi-distant to Loretto.

Both Main and NH generally draw between 4,600-5,000 fans. I agree, I think we can get a home game if we seriously want it and Pres. Simon has indicated that he does. Cross our fingers.

van
    van
    Participant

Nova may be going south and St Francis could go to YSU

TMH
    Participant

Anything is possible but that still leaves us with the NH/Maine winner and a good shot at a home game.

Interestingly, there is no good matchup for Villanova going south. Liberty has been eliminated with another loss today. James Madison is out of play due to byes or/common opponent. They would have to go as far south as NC where there may be a couple of teams that would match up perfectly with each other. Youngstown St. may have a similar problem.

Solution I suppose is not take either NH or Maine since either would have at least 4 losses. Lehigh plays Villanova and Youngstown plays St. Francis. Who knows but it’s fun to predict.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

:)Personally I like your last scenario best but unlikely that UNH Me winner not in

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

Today was a great day in terms of increasing Lehigh’s chances for a home playoff game. The UNH loss should open the door for the Mountain Hawks to host the 4th CAA team imo. If Maine beats UNH next week they should be it. UNH and Albany also seem to be in play stil.

While a bit of a longshot, Lehigh should be in the running for a seed with an impressive showing next week imo. It will come down to how much the committee values wins over Penn and Princeton. It’s not likely but with some more chaos next weekend there’s a chance imo….

TMH
    Participant

I think it’s correct in being a longshot but here is what happened today.
    Using the Coach’s poll as a guide, Lehigh is #18
    The following lost today
    #7 Chatanooga
    #11 Villanova
    #13 Central Arkansas
    #17 Montana

plus
    #19 Western Illinois
    #20 Cal Poly
    #22 Harvard
    #23 New Hampshire
    #24 Liberty

Lehigh may move up to #15/16 IMHO

Is there an unspoken rule that the CAA must get 4 teams in the playoffs. New Hampshire and Maine both already have 4 losses. Neither will be ranked after this week. James Madison, Richmond and Villanova are givens.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

I think you’re relying on the polls way too much. They honestly don’t matter when it comes to seeding/playoff selection. They don’t matter in college hoops either.

The CAA will almost certainly get 4 teams in. Maine has a very good resume at 7-4 assuming they beat UNH next week. UNH’s resume at 7-4 would not be quite as good. Albany will also be in play if the Danes beat SBU next week.

Lehigh should be in good shape if they submitted a quality bid imo. I can’t see the committee having a ‘Nova-Lehigh rematch in round 1. That and/or a loss to Lafayette would be the only thing that prevents them from hosting imo…

TMH
    Participant

Now this old coot is even more confused. :-)

1.)Why does the Lafayette game have any implications on whether we host a 1st round game? I was told it was all about the “region” and the “bid” and that relative ranking did not matter.
    2.)Although there is definitely flexibility in the selection process, I think there is some heavy reliance on the polls. The Nov 3 list of the 10 teams highly considered for the bye almost mirrored the polls. Maine had 2 points in the last poll. They are currently 6-4. None of their wins have been by more than a TD. None have come against a top 25 team. They lost handily against both James Madison and Villanova. Albany has no votes and if NH loses to Main, they will be 6-5. Assuming Fordham beats Bucknell on Saturday, they may have as good an argument to qualify as any of those 3. Then it would likely be Villanova-Fordham and Lehigh-St. Francis. We win that bid process too :-)
    Again, just speculation until we get into the meat of L-L.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

CSM has LU at 15 now. Given the top 20 havoc of the weekend would not be surprisdd to see us at 15-16 in coaches poll.

toddcudd
    Participant

For what it’s worth, College Sports Madness has their projected bracket up. In theirs, we get Albany and a #2BidPatriotLeague.

CSM Bracket

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Think CSM has overreacted to all the top 25 Ls. Committee historically will take a 7-4 6-5 MVFC team ove an at large for PL particularly when neither showed much vs Top 20 teams this year.

TMH
    Participant

Albany has a relatively new stadium (2013) that holds just over 8,000 and averages about 6,000 in attendance. I have no idea how the bid would shake out if they were our opponent.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.