Practice Update

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Practice Update

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  LUHoops00 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

LUHoops00
    Participant

Definitely a good read TMH buddy, thanks for posting. Couple observations:

1.) Stefan still isn’t practicing, so him starting the season in a uniform is in jeopardy. Translation, I hope that means the first two guards off the bench are AP and MS, assuming opening night begins with CS MM AD in the starting 5.
    2.) Leadership Posts – I’ve talked about how JC can be that next generation of leader post CJ/GK/HG, especially if production matches work ethic and focus. Well he was named the sophomore leader rep in Reed’s one leader per class initiative. That made me happy.
    3.) Probably needs its own thread but its early and I’m tired, but saw we have 2 scrimmages lined up pre-Minny, in Wagner and Princeton. That is a good thing and hopefully we can learn/grow from those experiences and be better prepared for a big 10 opponent in the opener.

toddcudd
    Participant

Where did you find the info about scrimmages, Hoops? That’s something I’ve been wondering about – feels like it would at least start to answer a bunch of our lineup questions.

TMH
    Participant

The rule for scrimmages used to be and probably still is that you may have 2 of them. If they are in the same Division, they must be closed. If you elect to play down..like a Muhlenberg, you could open them up and charge.
    Is this the rule? There is a part of me that says that we will get more out of the closed scrimmages but another smaller part is itching to see what we have :-)

toddcudd
    Participant

In this context, what would “closed” mean, TMH? No spectators at all, no video, etc.?

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Closed means no spectators, no official stats, no press, no articles, etc. Video is allowed and they can play more than 40 minutes if they choose. Also can work on situational stuff if the coaches agree.

Exhibition games – played exactly like real games and where spectators are allowed – can only be played with non-
    D1 teams.

toddcudd
    Participant

Thanks Bison!

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I recommend to any and all PL fans, and college basketball fans in general to buy the Blue Ribbon Yearbook. The PL section is done by Hooptime and he does an awesome job. I don’t want to mess up sales and give too much, but I’ll say that you guys will LOVE the quotes from Reed on the newcomers. It’s not cheap, but trust me it’s worth it.

toddcudd
    Participant

You gettin’ a commission on that, Bum? ;-)
    Checked it out and grabbed a copy. Totally agree – it’s great. I’ll refer back to it all year, I’m betting. It’s causing me some second thoughts on our lineup projections, too.

When I get back to LU for a game, I want a beer out of your commission check!

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

You gettin’ a commission on that, Bum? ;-)

Haha I wish I was getting a cut but I have my own business to worry about.

Honestly I would have no problem pasting most of the paid previews by the big guys for all to read. But diehard PL hoops fans are a small enough community as it is and it doesn’t feel right to undermine the work of these writers. Hooptime certainly isn’t pulling in those espn dollars and posting it here for free is probably 15% of the potential readership.

I’m sure we can scratch up beer money somewhere else!

pafan11
    Participant

I have read the Blue Ribbon Yearbook and would not argue that the information is excellent. However, if you are only interested in the information about Lehigh you will not find anything more informative than you can find on this blog. Dr. Reed does make some nice comments about MS, and JC but they are not anything we have not heard already. If you are hoping to gain insight into the lineup for the season or who will be significant contributors, I would not spend the money. I said it before and will say it again the speculation is fun but this team I believe will have multiple lineups in Nov. and Dec. and we will not have a set 8 until PL games.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

However, if you are only interested in the information about Lehigh you will not find anything more informative than you can find on this blog.

Disagree. I didn’t know that Devon Carter’s primary issue last year was effort and intensity, and other facts in the same vein. I also thought the quotes on the freshman were a lot more forthright than the press release Lehigh issues every year. Obviously, no one can predict the line-up when 9 of the 15 guys have never played a Patriot League game. I don’t think Reed knows.

pafan11
    Participant

I agree that there where a few nuggets of information that may have been new to readers. My point was that the overall preview of the PL was more informative than the Lehigh information. I think the coverage of the whole league was very insightful and well worth the money. I also agree that you can’t predict who will do what with such a young team. However, I think most people look to previews like Blue Ribbon Yearbook for this kind of information.

lehigh90
    Participant

Re: Devon Carter

Watching him from courtside last season it was pretty evident that effort and intensity were a problem. I mentioned it on here a couple of times. I had never seen a more disinterested player in warm ups. He could barely stop yawning to take his turn in the layup line. Going through the motions would be an understatement. I have my doubts that he ever contributes in a positive manner to this program, especially after the injury. I thought he could be transferring, if not for the ACL. He has a lot to prove this season.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

That’s really disappointing. I know you said it a few times last year, but I guess I was hoping it was just a young kid who knew he didn’t have much of a role. Clearly it was more than that though and he wasn’t bringing it in practice or pre-season either.

I’m tempted to pull out the kids tweets talking about how much a gym rat he is and how he is “addicted to the game”, but it seems cruel at this point. Hope he figures it out eventually.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.