Pre-Season Hoops Predictions

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Pre-Season Hoops Predictions

This topic contains 73 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author

pafan11
    Participant

I think 7th or 8th in the league is fair assessment going into the season. However, like American last year this team has the potential to win the League. The question is how all the pieces mesh. Leadership will be key with another young team and CS IMHO, has shown nothing but leadership his whole career. Will this team make winning plays down the stretch? Last years team did not especially in the second half of the season.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by  pafan11.
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Trying to kill time before the season starts, I thought it might be fun to come up with some predictions on which guys will make jumps in various categories from last season to this season.

– Biggest Increase in PPG
    – Biggest Increase in FG%
    – Biggest Increase in RPG

For PPG, I’m going with Austin Price. I’d love to see him get over 13.5ppg (although I’m interested to see if Alston takes some of his minutes/potential production). I’m really hoping that Chuku is the guy with a dramatic FG% improvement, although Price could be in that category as well. RPG is a little tougher. I’d like to see all of our guys make a jump in that category but for the sake of conversation I’ll go with Goldsborough mostly because I hope he becomes an absolute monster on the glass and manages to play more minutes.

I left out assists since our main assist man last year is gone, and the guy who I expect to lead us in assists this year is a freshman.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

AP for PPG
    If his knee holds up ,Baltimore for RPG. If not Justin.

toddcudd
    Participant

I’ll go with JC for FG% increase. Feels like we’re getting signals that he’s been placing some emphasis on interior play, which should lead to nice improvement on the %.
    For RPG, I’ll go with AP. I’m expecting increased minutes and aggressiveness. Combine those with good size for his position and a low baseline (1.9), and that feels like a good bet, to me. I’d love to see JG or CB make a jump, but I haven’t heard anything that leads me to believe that their minutes will go up significantly.
    The hardest for me is the PPG. Three candidates, to me: TK, AP, and CS. Tough to pick between the latter two, without knowing how lineup and rotations will work. But I think we could see +5 ppg from any of those 3. I’ll make myself pick one, and go with TK, getting him to the neighborhood of 18 ppg.

TMH
    Participant

I have no idea who has developed in the off-season or even who has spent the most time in the gym. My guess is that statistically, individual #s from the wing position will suffer from subtraction by addition. CS as captain will probably still see his share of minutes but the law of diminishing returns as probably set in..meaning that he will still be his same efficient self but I don’t expect to see huge increases. I think that unless has really improved his overall game (good possibility, he will be giving up minutes to BA and JRG. SC will also find time as a designated sniper.
    For me, the biggest incremental change has to come from JC. He has the body and the overall skill set to dominate inside. IMHO, he just needs to mentally adjust to that fact. If he does, I can see him significantly improving his PPG, RPG, and his shooting %. If he does not JG may take on more of that role assuming he can stay out of foul trouble in the process.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Josh Verlin has nice write up on PL,including assts opinions.Picks us for 5th

TMH
    Participant
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks TMH.

toddcudd
    Participant

According to the “secret” list of scrimmages, we’re at Princeton today. Here’s to getting game-ready!!

pafan11
    Participant

Anyone have any details on the scrimmage saturday?

toddcudd
    Participant

i can’t find a peep, anywhere. i understand that coaches are allowed to speak “in generalities” about the scrimmages – but I don’t think i’ve found anything in recent years, either.

LU65
    Participant

First, in response to TMH’s comments re: CS…….

I think that unless has really improved his overall game (good possibility, he will be giving up minutes to BA and JRG.

While I agree that CS may see a slight decrease in court time based on the influx of what we hope are talented guards, it’s hard to argue with the need for CS to improve his overall game. I give you the 2013-14 Stats for this year’s Captain:

FG% = .446 (#1 Guard)
    3FG% = .383 (#2 Guard)
    FT% = .833 (#1 on Team)
    Rebounds = 2.6/Game (#1 Guard)
    Assists = 2.5/Game (#2 on Team)
    A/TO = 1.95 (#2 on Team)

As for who will show the greatest increase in performance, I’ll go with……

FG%: JC. With what I hope is greater interior scoring opportunities, it only makes sense. Last year, Jesse shot 2’s at the rate of .396 and 3’s at a .353 clip for an overall average of .378. I’m hoping to see Jesse at .400 overall this year.

PPG: My choice is TK and hope to see the numbers jump from 13 to 18+

RPG: Looking for JG to get increased minutes and see his boards go from 2.9 to 4.2 / game for a health 45% increase in production.

TMH
    Participant

LU65,
    There was a typo. I meant to say “I think that unless AP has really improved his overall game (good possibility), he will be giving up minutes to BA and JRG. SC will also find time as a designated sniper.” I continue to struggle with the fact that nearly 60% of APs points came from outside the 3 point line (15% from the FT)and he only shot 36% inside the 3 pt line for the season. These #s parallel his HS stats. We need wing players that can slash too.
    As for CS, I always really liked his game. He may be at or near his cap however. The biggest jumps occur between the freshman and sophomore year and diminishes after that typically. CS may not be typical. That is not bad however, because as you noted too, he has been probably our most consistent player.
    It will be very interesting to see how Doc allocates the minutes at the wing.
    Again, excuse the typo.

toddcudd
    Participant

Kevin Doyle put out a nice piece on PL freshman to watch, on Big Apple Buckets today. His list includes KR:

PL Freshmen to Watch

pafan11
    Participant

Anyone know if tickets will be available at the PPL center on game day? I am assuming it won’t be sold out.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.