Predictions 151

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Predictions 151

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

hawktalker
    Participant

[quote=23927]My guess is this was DC’s last game. LU finds a stud DC and it could win PL next couple of years barring injuries. LU gave up almost 400 yards again today against an impotent offense and was outgained on the day. It is fun to watch, but D is frustrating

[/quote]
    Where does Lehigh find a “stud DC?”

buck
    Participant

Does any other team in the WORLD play with only 3 defensive linemen? Can’t say I’ve even seen a worse defensive scheme…ever! Everyone is giddy over beating Lafayette but that’s a really bad football team, good lord that was an ugly football game.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A lot of teams play one if the versions of the 3-4. The advantage is that it is geared to todays open O schemes. Our D has a number of issues.
    Tackling.
    Rewatching game it is clear that a significant portion of rush yards occured after first contact. We do not finish tackles with any consistency.
    Youth and inexperience everywhere. Not a formula for consistency.
    The key components of a 3-4 D are a good NG and a Rover with the size of a LB and athletic ability of a DB. We had neither. Our NG is a very good DT and pass rusher. He is not a space eater who can occupy the inside of the LOS. For most of the season we had a 175 lb S playing Rov. A fair cover guy and a good tackler but iverwhelmed by runs directly at him. Evdenced by yesterday.
    All of the above are factors in D performance this year.
    To me,the major issue is that we dont use the system as it should be. The stack is hyped as an aggressive D. Early season we were aggressive. As the season progressed,we morphed into a reactive D. Injuries certainly had a part in this. Even so,we showed very little cability to adjust to game situations staying in the same base D almost exclusively.
    Fix? Not sure but someting has to be done.
    Players. We have lots of very good athletes,most underclassmen.Will maturity and experience be enough to bolster D.
    Staff
    Two seasons in with this group with very little improvement overall. I dont know enough to say how all these factors impact on our continuing poor performance. I do know it cannot contnue.
    Many have compared our D of the last 3 yrs to the Small yrs. However,if you look at the numbers the current is substantially worse.
    How long does it take for a new staff with young players to be adequate? No idea but two years should show some bottom line gains. We haven’i.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I’d open the application process for a DC. I also would also analyze at D2 and D3 programs to find coaches whose schemes have worked over the past few years. Looking at weaker FCS programs where they have good Ds and awful Os might be another way. Can’t just wait for an application to come in or old coaching buddy to swing by. The D needs a major jolt. And we need coaches who will demand high character.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.