Princeton

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Princeton

This topic contains 128 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  lfnadmin 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Schollies
    First class. about 50-50 hits and misses
    Second. More hits than misses
    Third. Certainly the best,potentially.
    Difference between Fball and Bball is numbers. Latter brings in 2-3 recruits each yr. Fball 10 times that.
    Probably best measure of recruiting is the level of the offers rdcd by our recruits. A measure of potential not ultimate success. If you compare the 3 classes,the level of other offers has gone up each year. Are we winning more vs IL,FBS ,CAA. Quite a bit more and more recruits with low FBS offers,MAC.
    That said some of our best players dont have any major offers.
    Confusing :) But overall the players are better. But the best ar still frosh and sophs.
    Looking at PL,all but FU and GU are having similar growing pains. Dunlap prsdicted this scenario before we went schollie.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

While we are certainly on point in complaining about the poor tackling, it seems we are not alone. Having watched a number of college games over the past few weeks, it seems to be an epidemic. Lafayette had horrendous execution against Princeton. I think part of the problem is the limited amount of “going live” that now goes on in practice due to both NCAA regulations on how much live scrimmaging one can do as we well concern over injuries–especially now that rosters are reduced because of the scholarships. We used used to go live at least two and sometimes three days a week during the season…and almost everyday in the preseason–TWICE a day! One cannot get better without practice and wrapping up dummies aint the same.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No doubt ngineer. Andy even cut out tackling drills last yr. Given results he put them back in this yr without much dvidsnt success. Saw the same tackling in Gate game altho competition very different.
    Live practice is the best way to prepare for real games. A bit late during the season to go live in practice. There must be a way to do it from other early season games I’ve seen. Bulldogs and kamikazes are drills of the past.

LehighGuy
    Participant

I agree our soph and freshman class is where all the talent lies. We have some studs in the Jr class as well. Im not sold at all on the seniors. The last non scholly class, face it folks they are the less talented class period. Nobody wanted them, no scholly offers for any of them. Some are ok, most need to sit. Rich you keeping saying our back 5 are fast and athletic, they arent. Our Db coaches have they favorites and they cant do any wrong. I really think our better players are on the bench. Amazes me how the O has no problem putting the young guys in, but the D wont. And the D needs the most help!

LehighGuy
    Participant

I watch the practices, and what you see in the game are what they do in practice. Im referring to the D. It should be no surprise to the coaches. Amazes me that kids that makes plays in practice constantly, dont see the field. Kids that mess up constantly start. This is coaching, you earn your time in practice I thought. These coaches dont act like they job is on the line with the roster decisions they make. Trust me, we have better players on the sideline. When they get a chance youll be wondering why the heeelll they just now getting in!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by  LehighGuy.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A bit of an overstatemnt on seniors. Laub had numerous offers including Navy. Robb also had numrtous offets. Agree tho that overall not as talented Young youth is frustrating.

NJLehighFan
    Participant

We had no answer for that two quarterback offense. #12 Lovett killed us. I really would not read too much into our > 500 yards in offense. Game was sealed in the stretch from 13-10 us to 31-13 them.

LehighGuy
    Participant

I dont count offers from the Academies. Most PL teams will win recruiting wars with them unless going to the service is what you want. I dont think any Srs had FULL schollly offers, and picked LU. Sure some were overlooked and are good players, but majority…..no

toddcudd
    Participant

Wake up. None of our guys had full rides at football schools – Jr. Soph., or Frosh. Welcome to reality.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Thinking back to my limited playing days, we ran drills where the DBs went 1v1 with the RBs in a confined area.

If they do the same thing today, could the DBs’ progress have been stymied by the relative lack of healthy power backs we’ve had the past couple of years? Seems like each week — certainly last year — we’ve had dinged up RBs.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dont know if we do. HSs still do tho. We ran those back in my day in various combknations. Usually an OL and a RB or WR vs a DL and a LB or a DB.Tackling a dummy just not the same.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I feel the gap between Princeton and Lehigh was not the same yawning gap between JMU and Lehigh (amply proven this weekend after JMU came from behind to beat SMU). A cleaner game from Lehigh would probably have been competitive the whole way, perhaps not a Lehigh win but more of a 50/50 proposition. As others have noted, Lehigh moved the ball very effectively vs. Princeton. Others will too.

In the 3rd quarter, Lehigh forced Princeton into two three-and-outs, but turned over the ball on a pick six, lost a fumble after a deep drive on a 4th-and-2, and turned over the ball a third time. All three TOs were preventable mistakes, not masterful Tiger defense but gifts. That’s why there’s so much angst. No amount of scholarships, no amount of “well he was also recruited by Penn State” players would have been able to overcome that.

Lack of talent was NOT the problem last weekend. It was mostly self-inflicted wounds that Princeton were all too happy to cash in for a victory. Not only turnovers, either, but penalties, passes going through hands, ball security, sloppiness on a blocked extra point, etc. All stuff Lehigh had control over.

toddcudd
    Participant

Totally agreed, Chuck. Talent level was very comparable, imo. Point of curiosity: with IL claiming “no athletic scholarships”, does that give them a completely free hand re: “counters”? If they give 95 guys academic/need-based schollies, do they “count”?
    Particularly interesting, to me, given recent news items about IL endowments.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree 100% Chuck.
    todd
    No IL “schollies”dont serve as counters. As same aid open to all students,they are not considered equivalencies by the NCAA.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Not sure what you call a “football school” Todd. But i doubt ANYBODY competing on the FCS level had full rides from “football schools”….HYP have they fair share of steals from “football schools”, the rest of the FCS…not so much. But our Fr,SO, JR did have FULL RIDE offers elsewhere. Those kids wouldnt have thought of LU if we didnt offer schollies, hence the better talent we receive. I still think HYP would win most recruiting wars vs PL, the rest of the Ivies….no

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.