QBs for Colgate

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football QBs for Colgate

This topic contains 97 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Anyone think Mayes should start vs. G-town? Just asking.

Guardian14
    Participant

27 was a HUGE difference maker. That’s what we have been missing all year. When you can come off the edge like that good things happen. Colgate was 4-15 on 3rd downs and 2-4 on 4th! Total Yardage is misleading. D is getting better, special teams were solid, and the O is really fun to watch!

Lehigh74
    Participant

[quote quote=28661]Anyone think Mayes should start vs. G-town? Just asking.
    [/quote]

I honestly think Mayes is a better player than Shafnisky, but Shafnisky is very good as well. I’d like to see Coen use them both the way Princeton does (to give teams a different look) but it’s obvious that isn’t going to happen as long as Coen is the head coach. In any event, there is no reason why we can’t win the Patriot League championship regardless of which one plays quarterback.

TMH
    Participant

Times are good when the debate becomes do we start the QB who threw for 12 TDs, ran for 3 more and completed about 72% of his passes or the guy who threw for 6 TDs and 500+ yards against Yale.
    Brad is an incredible talent who will lead this offense to great things over his last 2 years. This is Nick’s time though. As much as some people don’t like his style, compare his career to those of some of the best QBs in our rich history. Had he been given a stellar defense, the conversation would have turned to how deep into the playoff could this team go during his last 2 years. Just my opinion.

TMH
    Participant

Interesting note: After a slow start, Lehigh is still averaging 40.17/ppg. That’s 4 points higher/pg than any other Lehigh team in 15 years. The record for points in a season is 463 in 12 games in 1999. I don’t see too many teams on the horizon that should slow this machine down…only ourselves.

LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

[quote quote=28661]Anyone think Mayes should start vs. G-town? Just asking.

[/quote]

Maybe not start, but if we get a big lead, definitely give him some more PT. It’s a win-win. Nick gets rested, Mayes gets PT.

I’ll make a slightly interesting comment (feel free to agree or disagree): I actually think that Nick’s more limited mobility (or at least some restrictions on his running) against Colgate really was a blessing in disguise. I think it forced him to not think “run” right away forcing him to keep his eyes downfield. It really stood out to me on a couple plays where in the past the tendency was to run, rather than continue to look for the wide-outs. I hope the coaches saw this too and don’t call as many QB-keeper plays as I think Nick showed more progress in this situation.

TMH
    Participant

for those more football savvy than I,how does a DC come up with a scheme to stop a Shaf led offense today. It seems to me that if you put a spy on him, you essentially have to put single coverage on both Troy and Gatlin. If you decide to blitz, Shaf has the ability to create time and from what I’m seeing throw on the run very effectively. Spread your defense out to cover all the targets and you give Dom space to run. The key of course is the OL.
    On a side note: I would love to see more screens to Brags. He has to be a load for any 175# DB to bring down. It seems to have a high degree of success and creates just another weapon to distract the defense.

TMH
    Participant

for those more football savvy than I,how does a DC come up with a scheme to stop a Shaf led offense today. It seems to me that if you put a spy on him, you essentially have to put single coverage on both Troy and Gatlin. If you decide to blitz, Shaf has the ability to create time and from what I’m seeing throw on the run very effectively. Spread your defense out to cover all the targets and you give Dom space to run. The key of course is the OL.
    On a side note: I would love to see more screens to Brags. He has to be a load for any 175# DB to bring down. It seems to have a high degree of success and creates just another weapon to distract the defense.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

TMH
    Not much a DC can do scheme wise other than try to out guess Folmar.
    A team with a lockdown cober corner could get away with a pressure D. Otherwise DC pretty much ltd to a base ser on most plays. Dont see any real goodv2ndarys coming up. Bison are very good on D a tough front 7. Pards also have a solid D but neither has much depth. Key is not our opponents its us. Maintaining focus. 2 trap games coming up are crucial .

LehighGuy
    Participant

I don’t wish injury on any kid, but that’s what it took to get 27 into the game. Sad he hasn’t played all yr, he’s been healthy. Hopefully the coaching staff realizes they messed up by not starting him and leave him on the field. I always called for him to start over 17

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No LG
    Lambert has not been 100% which has ltd his PT. LL noted on Facebook that it was great to finally be healthy. Andy also remarked that LL had not been 100% until last week.
    LL has the ability and speed to control the edge for us. He is an excellent tackler. He will be a very important factor vs Fordham. Key is to keep him fit and on the field. Neither GU or Cross have a run game so expect we’ll see blitz packages for LL.

TMH
    Participant

Spot on Rich. Lambert began last season as the starting rover but got injured in the 1st game hence his 5th year now. I believe Barrett, the backup got hurt very soon after. That was a huge blow to our defense last year which was predicated on the rover. I’m looking forward to Laquan finishing his college career on a high note.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Q left for home today to recuperate.

LU808
    LU808
    Participant

SPEEDY RECOVERY Q!

WE’RE ALL PULLING FOR YOU!

LehighGuy
    Participant

Sorry fellas but you are wrong, LL has played in every game besides VU. Mainly on ST. He’s been healthy. Was coaching decision to put KM in front of him for “cover” skills. Coaches can spin it how they want on why he wasnt playing. Fact is if KM didn’t go down, LL wouldn’t have played. Don’t know the extent of KM injury, but if he healthy, you won’t see LL, sad and stupid, but true. Get well Q, prayers coming from this way!

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  LehighGuy.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by  LehighGuy.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.