Quinnipiac

This topic contains 33 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  LU65 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

pafan11
    Participant

If this team’s emphasis is up tempo then there is a serious disconnect somewhere. Anyone have numbers on transition baskets? Up-tempo basketball starts with creating turnovers, rebounding, and run-outs. Might be time to adjust the strategy.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I agree that this team does not get many easy baskets, lay-ups, and run-outs, but they are 89th in the country (out of 351) in possessions per game and 45th in the country in KenPom’s adjusted tempo (possessions per game while accounting for opponents preferred tempo). Unfortunately, (to your point) this is not resulting in high percentage shots since Lehigh ranks 206 in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency. Basically this means Lehigh is playing relatively quickly, but taking low % shots and/or just missing.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Isn’t it tough to win consistently,if you’re relying on hooting % alone,which seems to be our strategy? Real question,not sarcasm :)

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Isn’t it tough to win consistently,if you’re relying on hooting % alone,which seems to be our strategy? Real question,not sarcasm :)

I would agree somewhat, but I think that the strategy would be more to be an uptempo and efficient offensive team. I think the problem is less on the strategy, and more that this team isn’t particularly good at said strategy. Lehigh is an average nationally by most defensive metrics, a really bad rebounding team, and a slightly below average offensive team. They are still young, and if these guys continue to improve (my hope), I still think this team could be quite good next year and the following.

lehigh90
    Participant

I had a feeling when I tuned in, this may happen. Our bigs don’t play big or tough. JG is only possible exception. TK and JC are pretty soft. Drame is a beast. My concern after watching that demolition was:

1) Has JC really regressed, from below average to far below average? He was terrible. 0-7 from the field for a big player is awful.

2) TK has put up a couple of clunkers in a row. 3-11 from the field from your 5, awful. Now he goes home. Was he looking forward? Can he get back to what we thought he would be? We hoped he could be 18 and 8. Last year he was 13 and 7.1. So far this year, he is about the same 12.6 and 7.8. Not progress.

toddcudd
    Participant

I s’pose it doesn’t do any good to just pretend this game didn’t happen… so here goes.
    The only game in recent memory that came to my mind re: rebounding was the Baylor game at the beginning of the ’12-’13 season. I remember pulling my hair out watching Baylor play volleyball under the offensive glass, so I went back and checked this morning. Baylor out-rebounded us 44-32 in that one. So it wasn’t nearly as bad as last night. And let’s bear in mind that was Baylor, who had Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson (who now plays for the Nets) at that time. Quinnipiac isn’t a particularly big team, either. Yes, they are a very good rebounding team, but this was inexplicable, to me.
    Even outside of rebounding, there was just absolutely nothing good to take away from this game. Most other areas were actually pretty close – turnovers, FTs, etc. But nothing was good. 40% from the floor and 27% from three.
    Of greatest concern to me is that the two players we expect to provide the most offense, TK and AP, were non-factors. Again. Frankly, they’ve both fallen off badly since the DePaul game. I hope we can figure something out; I’m not looking forward to the ASU game.
    Tough moment near the end of the game, listening to Q’s coverage. In talking about doc, they had good things to say, but then essentially came down to “a coach can only do so much if he doesn’t have the talent”, and “Lehigh just isn’t a very good offensive team”. You can only give commentators’ comments so much credibility, but they do see plenty of other teams. We had a very bad night, which also dilutes the value of their observations. But it caused me to back up a step or two.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I just want to add some perspective to these rebounding issues. The 2011-2012 Lehigh PL Champ team was 131st in the country in total rebounding %. Better than average. Three role players graduated off that team (Justin Maneri, Jordan Hamilton, and John Adams). I don’t think anyone would dispute that those three were tough, hardnosed guys who didn’t mind mixing it up. None put up great stats, and unfortunately we are now in year 3 of waiting for that toughness to be replaced. Check out the below:

Year – National Rank in Total Rebounding %
    2011-2012 – 131
    2012-2013 – 275
    2013-2014 – 281
    2014-2015 – 226 (so far)

Rebounding (and the toughness that it requires/demonstrates) has been an issue for years now. I really hope that the staff is taking note and taking measures through recruiting or playing time, or practice emphasis to improve this area.

lehigh90
    Participant

Agree 100% Bum. We haven’t had any toughness in the frontcourt since that year. We have been a little tougher in the backcourt, but that isn’t going to help on the glass. We need to recruit some bangers. I think there are a lot of Justin Manieri’s out there. It’s hard to find GK’s and TK’s but not JM’s.

pafan11
    Participant

Stablerbum, I couldn’t agree more! Lets look at the top recruits last two years: TK, AP, SW, MS, KR, BA. TK polished offensive player that IMHO plays hard just needs to grow as a rebounder and passer. SW gone, probably the toughest guy in the bunch. Might have left because the emphasis was on his weaknesses offensively instead of his strength. The others are all trying to be dominant scorers and are not doing the things necessary to be consistent winners like the the above 3 you mentioned from 2012/2013. CS certainly has proven he will do whatever it takes but just like last night, when playing well he inexplicable gets replaced by BA who comes in firing up very poor shots! Do not understand that philosophy? Hopefully I’m wrong about selfishness and misreading this team. If not we are in for a very up and down season filled with frustration.

LU65
    Participant

As some of you may know, Hoops00 and I were at the game last night. I can summarize our experience by saying the highlight of our night was meeting for Burgers and Beers at the Side Street Grill one hour before the pregame shoot-around. The second event of note was meeting TK Sr. who was in attendance and probably wished he hadn’t been.

Much has already been posted and I’m in full agreement with what has been said. I do think it fair, however, to point out the excellent guard play of Kahron and Corey – two guys who came to play and again did it well on both ends of the floor.

For all the Pomeroy gives us, he can’t measure two things: Heart and Toughness. Last night we had neither. Never have I seen our team show less desire and willingness to compete/stand our ground. Maybe it was “exam hangover” or maybe it was the trip to Arizona (scheduled to begin in 14 hours following the end of this game) for Tim’s Homecoming. But whatever the cause, our performance was disgraceful. One word sums it up: SOFT.

More thoughts on stats another day.

toddcudd
    Participant

Whenever you’re back and have some time, 65, I’d love to hear any thoughts TK Sr. shared on what he sees in this team. Pro eyes are gonna see and recognize a lot more than I can. If he did share any thoughts, that is…

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

If not we are in for a very up and down season filled with frustration.

I’m already buckled in for an up and down season filled with frustration! I think it is a definite, but somehow doesn’t make it less frustrating. The real question to me is if they can put it together next year and the following.

’65, was Hoops too frustrated to tweet? He’s been MIA from the board and was silent on twitter.

LU65
    Participant

SB, you can expect something I’m sure out of Hoops00.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

A lot has been said of the rebounding woes, so I won’t repeat that. But if this team’s second 3-pointer comes with 10 minutes to play in the second half, they won’t beat anyone. Any discussion on boards has to come with the additional issue that outside shooting was icy cold.

I don’t know if AP was 100%, but overall the whole team seemed lethargic and sleepwalk-y against a team which they could have ill afforded to be that way. The hope is the sun in Arizona will breathe some life into the team and some accuracy to the outside shooting.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Drove a total of 5 hours mid-week and only highlight was the continuation of my friendship with 65, who it is always a pleasure to see and talk LU hoops with.

Since I am tired, pissed off, and irritated I will keep this simple:

That was the biggest piece of crap effort I have ever seen out of a LU team. I was worried about post exam syndrome, but to not show up, bring no energy heart passion enthusiasm is a total disaster. A total epic failure on all accounts.

That is all.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.