Reasons to be positive

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Reasons to be positive

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marco
    marco
    Participant

Despite the defense, there is much to be positive and to be thankful for. For starters, at least we’re not Lafayette.

I checked the records and the 388 points we gave up this season have no rival since at least 1945. It’s an astounding number of points, yet we finished with a winning record! Incredible, and it says much about this offense. By the way, the 355 points scored was fourth most since 2000.

Some have mentioned Hank Small’s defenses during his tenure – the most points Hank’s team ever surrendered was 360 in 1986. Simply stated, we can’t have an expectation for a winning record without some semblance of a defense, one that forces a team to punt now and again. Please Andy, the three year trend is BAD.

Overall, we are the 37th winningest school in the NCAA at 671-580-45 and our record since 1945 is even better at 429-305-12 (58%).

Although the Leopards still maintain a ten game edge in the series, our record against them is 41-28-2 (60%) since 1945.

I think the future is bright (especially with a serviceable D).

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

I looked back at the numbers and Small’s defenses were not consistently bad. There were some stinkers but there were also some really stout units, especially in ’87, ’90 and ’91. Some of those schedules back then were as tough, if not tougher, than the ones of the last 2-3 years. I think games like 1991 HC is what skews the perspective.

Put that ’91 defense on this years team and it finishes 9-2 or 10-1.

1989 was the year when they gave up 360….

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Another perspective is total yards per game. I’m not doing the old research, but LU finished 107th of 123 FCS teams, giving up 451.3 YPG, just ahead of the Leopards.

The NCAA translated that into 6.32 yards PER PLAY.

We all think our offense was good? It WAS: 16th nationally in total offense at 462.5 YPG — 5.98 yards per play.

So we get 462.5 but give up 451.3 YPG; get 5.98 YPP, give up 6.32.

Based on this alone … we are a 5-6 or 6-5 team …

And it’s pretty clear where improvements needed.

marco
    marco
    Participant

Owl- you’re correct, and I hit the wrong key. 1989 was the year.

I think we are on the same page about this current team. The offense grew by leaps and bounds since the Yale game and it was terrific fun watching it grow into an unstoppable force. Well-balanced, it will raise the bar for expectations the next 2-3 seasons.

Meanwhile, the defense did not develop or grow. It’s flaccid. With a few exceptions (Bucknell), first half of Georgetown, Holy Cross, and Lafayette, it was way too generous. We shouldn’t have lost any league games this season, it’s that simple.

I repeat, any kind of D, anything that holds the opposition to three TDs and a field goal and we are 11-0.

Go Hawks and go Andy. (Go get a DC and players).

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

My hope fod next season really is very modest. Put an average D on the field more often than mot. :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.