Recruiting

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

lehigh90, you may or may not have your players confused.
    Goldsborough   248 min    51 points 46 rebounds  51 PF
    Baltimore            229 min    45 points  55 rebounds 39 PF
    Their ppg are exactly the same. JG shoots about 50% from the field. CB is at about 40%. JG is shooting 65% from the line CB is shooting 90%.
    They have the exact same # of assists, JG has 2 more blocks in an extra 19 min and CB has 7 steals to JG’s 3.
    Interestingly, on a team where rebounding is sub-standard, CB is again the leading rebounder/min by far on the team. Both JG and CB are well ahead of the rest of the team in Blocks/min.
    My point is this: Offensively,rebounding etc, you can’t come down on CB without coming down on JG. In fact, I would argue that CB has actually done better statistically. The difference is defense and specifically one particular portion of his defensive game. The problem is technical in nature, but if can overcome that hurdle, I suspect he will certainly move up the depth chart. This coach treasures defense and you can see the results.

van
    van
    Participant

Correct TMH, if we remember, Goldy was pretty raw early in the year and has come on second half.  CB has some issues, but rebounding is not one of them.  As to DC, we have not seen enough of him to offer an informed opinion.  Transition from HS to D1 is not always smooth.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Chiming in to agree on both our ever so young forwards and DC.. Patience for all 3. DC particularly but all need to be proficiant defensively before getting significant court time.

lehigh90
    Participant

CB’s college career is half over in a month.  He has played, give or take, 50 college games.  Not so sure he is young player anymore, and he’s going backwards, not forwards.  He’s dropping down the depth chart, and his minutes are dropping.  And, the prospects could be bleaker next year with the arrival of several bigs.  Believe me, I don’t think JG is the second coming of Bill Walton, either, but the fact is, a “project” player like JG, who is clearly very raw, has surpassed CB.  39.4% from the field for a big guy who never shoots from outside 5 feet is terrible.  It’s the worst on the team outside of TS (a walkon) and DC, discussed above.  If my research is correct, he has 1 made FG in PL play and 2 points in PL play.  If this guy was the second coming of Dennis Rodman as a rebounder I could live with his other deficiencies, but he’s not.  2.8 rebounds a game, mostly in garbage, mop up play.

LU65
    Participant

90 – I’m with you on this one. I may be wrong but I think the “train has left the station” leaving CB behind. JG? Still some time left,I guess. Both you and TMH have gone thru the stats but, for the most part, may have omitted a big one. That being Personal Fouls. Our present “bigs,” CK and HG, commit a foul every 11 (GK) to 16 (HG) minutes they’re on the floor. JG and CB are each averaging one every 5 to 6 minutes of court time. And, has someone pointed out, it’s in mop-up time and not against the opponent’s front line. At that rate, it’ll be mathematically impossible to get 30 minutes out of either of them. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be the first to cheer them on as I do for everyone who steps onto the court for Lehigh, but this is what they mean when they say “project.”

van
    van
    Participant

Wonder if anyone has stats of GK and HG Frosh and Soph years for comparisons?

Seems like JG has improved relative to # of fouls as year has gone on.  Not so much with CB?

LU65
    Participant

GK
    Freshman Year 59 PFs in 912 Minutes (1 every 15.5min)
    Sophomore Year 63 PFs in 917 Minutes (1 every 14.6min)

HG
    Freshman Year 35 PFs in 322 Minutes (1 every 9.2min)
    Sophomore Year 53 PFs in 615 Minutes (1 every 11.6min)

TMH
    Participant

Let me correct one contention from Lehigh90 and LU65. Although “mop up time” may have been accurate for CB last year, both JG and CB are their minutes by spelling GK and HG this year and not when games are out of hand so they are primarily playing against front line guys.
    Although fouls is certainly a problem, it should be fixable. We are not discussing height or ball handling here. The problem, if I read it correctly, is off the ball physicality. Opponents are creating space off the ball which forces both JG and CB to play a little catch up resulting in fouls. They need to be coached through that. Is the physical talent there, I truly believe so.  I’m not one to give up on players in their freshman or sophomore seasons. Perhaps basketball is different but I have seen plenty of players in other sports here who didn’t make the significant contributions until later in their careers.

LU65
    Participant

TMH/90 – Good dialog. Will be looking at opponents’ substitution paterns as JG and CB enter the game. Still content they’re seeing much of their action against bench players and or when the game is out of hand in our favor.
    Either way, hoping for improved play out of each over the next 7-9 games.

Will either of you be at the game tomorrow night?

lehigh90
    Participant

Doubtful, for me, for American game. 

Regarding the minutes of JG/CB, they are usually playing against backups.  They may sub for HG and GK, but the other team is subbing as well.  Usually coaches are matching second team guys with second team guys.  Sometimes that is not the case, but usually.  So, you can enter at the 10 minute mark of the first half and still be playing against 2nd team guys on the other team.  Now, JG has gotten some run in critical spots late, like at Bucknell, but not CB.  His minutes, now, are against backups or in garbage time.  Or, maybe you see him if we have early foul trouble, then he may be forced to match on a first teamer.  Early in the year, that wasn’t the case, in games like Baylor and Pitt, when he had to play major minutes (starter at Baylor) due to size differential.  But, now, he is down to less than 10 minutes per game, sometimes much less, sometimes DNP.  You could find it out on KenPom, I believe, when he enters, but I don’t have access.  I don’t think CB will match on Lumpkins or Wroblicky tonight.

Tricky game tonight by the way.  Not as one-sided as it looks on paper.  Lehigh needs to come out strong early, and build a lead, then cruise home.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.