Recruiting

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Recruiting

This topic contains 107 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Miller,
    Just wondering if you made similar claims when we recruited Phil Stambaugh and Eric Rath from a tiny little school from Roseto. Do you know how small Mahanoy City HS is? I’m delighted we got Cavenas. The list goes on and on. Lighten up and let the coaches choose who will be joining the squad.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Im not impressed with the VA kid. Hope we didnt offer. Can anybody say his video was impressive?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Nore likely LG that we are on his wish list.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Trying to gauge talent on tape is difficult. Coming from a ‘small school’ is not the problem, but what kind of competition is the kid facing? My father coached many years, and one year had a great athlete who was so good he played QB AND MLB! Unfortunately, he was the only one on the team and they struggled all year going 3-8. Still people could still see the talent and the kid went to Syracuse on a full ride and had a nice career. A lot goes into evaluations beyond the film as well.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

And beyond the athleticism apparent at the high school level is his physical stature at age 16 and how that may fill out as he hits 17,18,19. Projecting that has a bit to do with the difference between an FBS and an FCS offer. And the difference between successful and not so successful recruiting.

TMH
    Participant

Funny thing about talent evaluation, one just never knows what cream rises to the top. There have been dozens of guys that left the fans less than excited when we signed them who really blossomed over the next 4 years. There have also been dozens of big time recruits that fizzled. Sometimes it truly is a crap shoot.
    Ryan Bonshak was District 11 Player of the Year on Defense. He was also 1st team AS 4A in PA. Nobody recruited him. Perhaps it was size or speed, or people just watching film….who knows but one cannot overestimate a “nose for the ball”. It’s difficult to capture on tape. You can’t put a stopwatch to it or measure it in a gym. I have no idea how good Stewart is or whether we are truly after him but if somebody averages over 10 tackles/game for 3 years, he may just have that “nose for the ball”. It is certainly worth exploring IMO.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Over the years we have had a number of cant miss recruits who did. Recall a Big 33 QB,who had all the physical tools but could never learn the offense. Or the RB who was the consensus #1 signing that year. A solid kid but never a star. And a walk on LB who was all conference.
    Trying to assess kids from all around the country at various levels of competition is not really possible for us,who at most get to only see his highlight reel.

LU15
    Participant

“So when football camp begins at the Bethlehem, Pa. school next summer, the Mountain Lakes linebacker will be a member of the Engineers.”.. anyone notice something wrong with the article? Also, Rich,about Bucknell having 14 commits, would you agree- in your infinite wisdom- that earlier doesn’t necessarily mean better?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

LMAO. Infinite wisdom not in my tool box :). No earlier does not mean better ,just means faster. BU and HC seem to emphasize early verbals. Andy does not. The unusual fact to me with recruiting now is that we have far fewer head to heads with PL teams than in pre schollie eda.

LU15
    Participant

Well,see my Brown and White article about this, doesn’t that mean we’re going head to head against school we couldn’t get pre scholarships- kids who would avoid Lehigh due to lack of scholarships.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yes 15 . Many more with CAA,MAC,and service academies. Still have them with Ivies about as much. We win a few more now. We have more than ever before with FBS,which we usually lose. Do get a few like Duffy and Smith ,sophs and Smith in this class.

TMH
    Participant

Patrick Brooks, RB from Plant HS in Tampa has received a Lehigh offer

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/patrick-brooks/SfHV5fTqEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Also Christian Kelley has accepted an offer from Cornell

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks TMH. We do love Tampa Bay. A true scatback.
    Saw Kelley a while ago. Too depressing for me to keep track of all those goung elsewhere:)

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Andrew Owers TE, Fla visited Bucknell Sat. Vusiting us and AFA this month.
    Thanks to the gremlins for color coding spread sheet :)

LU15
    Participant

About the database: yellow means offered, H is visit J is commit right?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.