Recruiting wish list???

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Recruiting wish list???

This topic contains 48 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

Does the scholarship count impact our ability to give need-based aid to players? I’ve assumed that it doesn’t, but I don’t know. LU has always done pretty well with financial aid – speaking from personal experience, too!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

The annual cap of 15.ended with last class. Sadly all aid included in 60 PL max,includes need aid.

TheCobbler
    Participant

The PL rules are any form of financial aid counts as football scholarship $. Even if a recruit has a 1600 SAT and a 4.0 GPA and admissions gives him and academic scholarship to LU, it still counts towards the 15 football scholarships. Makes no sense, but then again, it’s the Patriot League.

toddcudd
    Participant

Gotcha – thanks for the clarification!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Cobbler
    Agree wholeheartedly but it was the price to get schollies for PL. That and annual cap were financial concessions to some with funding issues. Hope that once all at 60 ,rule will be eased back as to need and academic merit. Its only 3 more by then. NEC already allows need aid above its 40 schollie cap.

LU15
    Participant

Can someone start a section for the newest football recruit, I don’t know how, thanks!

toddcudd
    Participant

For Benjamin?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

on recruiting thread you will find aspread sheet of all the offers and verbals that we know of. Go to 1stpost by todd. Click on link .Any questions just post there and I will try to answer, There is a link there also for Olshanski.

Do you want a new thread on him? If so just tell me and I’ll startit/

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

todd
    Is t time to start a commit list?

toddcudd
    Participant

whatcha thinkin’? another spreadsheet, with just commits? say the word…

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Good Lord No. Way to early. Think maybe just a verbal list for now. For casual checking.
    Wish 15 would let us know what he wants.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

RichH: “Berkeley popular this yr with PL teams.”

Rich, I’m sure you know that Joe Schiano (son of Greg), who just committed to Bucknell, is also Berkeley. They have a number of kids who can play.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Hence my comment 137 :)

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: “The PL rules are any form of financial aid counts as football scholarship $. Even if a recruit has a 1600 SAT and a 4.0 GPA and admissions gives him and academic scholarship to LU, it still counts towards the 15 football scholarships. Makes no sense, but then again, it’s the Patriot League.”

The PL rule largely mirrors that of the NCAA, except the number is 60 instead of 63. Under NCAA and PL rules, virtually all financial aid given by a school to a player counts as athletically-related aid, thus counting towards the equivalency max.

However the NCAA does have a few exceptions for academic grants given by high schools or outside groups if an award is based on established criteria, is not based on athletic ability, and does not depend on which school a student chooses to attend.

The NCAA also has this clause:

Exception — Receipt of Institutional Academic Aid Only. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who was recruited (see Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution and whose only source of institutional financial aid is academic aid based solely on the recipient’s academic record at the certifying institution, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, may compete without counting in the institution’s financial aid team limits, provided he or she has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the certifying institution and has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.000 (on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution.

I don’t know if the PL has ever published its rules in any way, but it would not surprise me if they have the same small exceptions for certain academic awards that the NCAA does.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Haven’t seen any PL clarification. As of last Spring there were no exceptions excluding other aid from cap computation. I hope that you are right that PL may put some in place.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.