Reed – Northwestern

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Reed – Northwestern

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  LUHoops00 10 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

There’s something to be said for guys like Paulsen who could jump ship for more $$ at a bigger program, but who stay behind and attempt

to lead Bucknell to the kind of success it has never achieved.

Perhaps that’s what Reed wants.

He’s got a safe career at LU for years to come, I would think, but he also has an incredible challenge to build the team to levels unthinkable a little more

than a year ago.

If he goes to Northwestern, for example, and has two or three bad years — with way less control than he has now at LU — he could be gone …

toddcudd
    Participant

Here’s LoRe’s article:
    http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh/index.ssf/2013/03/lehigh_university_mens_basketb_95.html#incart_river

No real news here, other than some explanation of how Lehigh handles the contract – year by year, renewal in May sometime.  Sterrett’s quote at the end is less than totally comforting: “If he ends up some place else, it’s because he thinks it’s an even better situation, but who knows if that’s going to happen or not. I’m not worried at this point one way or the other. I don’t think he’s looking because he’s unhappy here or can’t do anymore at our place.”

lehigh90
    Participant

Year to year, sounds like a terrible deal for the coach.  Zero job security and low pay, what a combo.  Surprised he’s not looking at a place like Siena.  I would be on the next plane (oops, forgot, make that next bus with what he makes).

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote:   “I did not realize Sienna could be that lucrative versus Lehigh.   If so, that would scare me more.”

Fran McCaffery made $450,000 his final season at Siena, counting his bonus.     I imagine that is at least 2.5x what Reed has been making at LU.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Reed apparently did not end up in the Siena discussion.   They are reportedly down to three names:  Jimmy Patsos, Andy Toole, and Mike Rhoades.

A poster on the Marist board – no idea of his credibility – says Reed was on campus last week talking about their job.    JMO, if Reed was indeed talking to Marist – which is no better than a lateral move – it would likely be to gain leverage for a significant raise from LU.    I imagine Marist would easily give him at least $100,000-$125,000 more than his current LU salary.     Thoughts?

http://www.maristredfoxhoops.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=men&action=display&thread=1316

LUHoops00
    Participant

Agree with 90, year to year is not the way to go and I’d jump as well if I had a huge chance, not sure Marist is that chance but s**t if he can get a 50% pay raise and a guaranteed 5 year deal…..he’d be silly not to go and interview. I don’t think many programs operate this way with their coaches, it seems out of line with industry standard to me.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.