Report Card

This topic contains 45 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Wonderful discussion.
    Last year we lost most of our scoring and rebounding. This year was filled with a lot of uncertainty. This year we lose 1 player (a very good one) and next year is still filled with a lot of uncertainty. Grrrr :-)
    The biggest problems for me are:
    1.)I’m not sure where the senior or any other leadership is going to come from next season. I’m hoping CS is the guy but from a distance he doesn’t seem like the fiery type.
    2.)The PG spot (floor general) spot will either be manned by a soph with very little experience, a highly regarded frosh or a senior moving back to his old position. For now, that scares me.
    3.)JC seems to be a man without a position. I’m tending to disagree with some posters in that I actually think that JC and TK should switch roles at least on defense. JC is the only player both athletic enough and strong enough to man the middle. He just needs to be drilled on how to do it. I attended the Sacred Heart game. Tk got in early foul trouble and JC had to be the guy inside. He played like a beast. 26 points and 15 rebounds. IMHO, he needs to be active to remain focused. It would also help keep TK out of foul trouble and allow him to still post up.
    4.)I have no idea what kind of developmental curve either TK or AP are going to be on next year. TK’s skill set is beyond his years. I’m not sure how much his athleticism can be improved (vertical, hands, aggressiveness without committing fouls) AP came to Lehigh with limited skills in some areas which he appears willing to try to improve on. Question is will he get there.
    5.)What impact will another large group of newcomers have on the program? There will be a lot of walk-ons with significant resumes on the team. How does Coach view them?

Should be an interesting off-season

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Quick thanks. This thread has almost made last season bearable. Entertaining, inciteful,intelligent.

LUHoops00
    Participant

90- SBum did a grreat job answering your question, the only thing I would add as it relates to rebounding is that I remember one game thus year when we were getting killed on boards and carrington tweeted about how it’s hard to rebound when your guards are allowing penetration into the lane at will, because when that happens our bigs need to give up position to stop dribble and then lose preferrrd rebounding position. I think this was one of the contributors for rebounding issues this year. Mackey wasn’t a great defender, you can argue whether or not that was lack of skill or effort or both but him with a CS who isn’t a great on ball defender plus a rook in ap who has potential to be a good defender but wasn’t there yet this year, and that was one reason why I wanted more ms. Hopefully kr can defend well at the guard spot.

toddcudd
    Participant

My 2 cents: the PG discussion is silly. CS runs the point for 32+ minutes next year, not even a question. Not flashy or a game-changer, but always solid. To TMH point above: that’s where leadership comes from – or we don’t have any. Unless TK is the 2nd coming.
    The only question on next year’s starting lineup is the 4. IMO – nothing new here – it’s JG. CB has to come back strong and be ready to allow that to happen. JC starts at the 3, unless CB isn’t back. AP starts at the 2. Worst case, JC starts at the 4 (horrible decision, IMO), we run 3 guard set, and get out-rebounded by 5+/game. Again.

LUHoops00
    Participant

On leadership question I mentioned this last week I think in that it will be interesting to see if we go back to this four man leadership committee or if we name real captains now that mm is gone. If we name captains CS is the no doubt first name chosen and then maybe a sc or a JC as I think he is a guy staff likes and players like.

On lineup discussion while JC has a three mans game right now i dont see him defending PL three man. Him Jg and TK are rotating among two frontcourt spots in most imaginable PL game scenarios. If you want to press and trap and run and go small you can get away with SW at the four in some cases versus some teams with one of the aforementioned bigs at the five. Thats a small lineup for sure. A traditional lineup could feature SW or a ba at the three with two of the aforementioned three bigs at the two front court spots, with any combo of two guards you want. SW has quickness to guard the three and ba from video should be able to guard wings as well. Note SW at the three at 6’7 is a sizable mid major lineup as that would mean you playing 6’7 6’8 and 6’10 on court.

LUHoops00
    Participant

How the 120 minutes a game between 1-3 spots on the floor get allocated next year is gonna be truly interesting. Toddcudd it wouldn’t shock me if CS with his shooting plays off the ball again, we will see.

One good note out of PL champ game today is jesse reed they said went from 3 to 14 ppg from frosh to soph year. Lets hope one or two of our guys show a big leap like that and a couple of our frosh are day one ready.

TMH
    Participant

Hoops,
    Nice having you back BTW. I think I understand your point on guard defense. I’m just not sure I agree with it. I tried to focus on rebounding during the 10 or so games I got to this year. Our 6-0 PG was perhaps our best pure rebounders. This doesn’t differ much from the last 4 years either. Mackey averaged about 4/g and many were not the garden variety being in the right spot at the right time kind. He genuinely left his feet and caught the ball at it’s highest point. CJ led the team in his last 3 years in spite being only 6-3.
    JC needs to be the man under the boards. The guy who jumps center should not play the #3. He is big, strong and athletic. He has shown moments of attitude. His role needs to be defined IMHO and then he needs to play within that role. This team has 3 point shooters. What we don’t have is the consistently aggressive rebounder. Just my opinion.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Couple thoughts. I agree with TMH that MM was one of our best rebounders this year, but that does not mean that he didn’t put our big guys in a bad spot by allowing penetration. He can be a good individual rebounder and still hurt team rebounding the same way a guy who grabs some boards but never boxes out does.

On the JC thing, I just don’t see him as a 3. It seemed to me that he made a concerted effort to attack the basket in the quarters against HC, and we all saw the results. He just does not (currently) have the skills to putt the ball on the floor and drive right now. He loves shooting threes but that doesn’t make him a perimeter player. Kevin Love averages 6.5 3 attempts a game, does anyone think he is a 3? Jesse has the body of a 4, the skills of an interior player, and a decent perimeter shot. That skill set has stretch 4 written all over it. Think Malcolm Miller from HC.

I think most of us agree that two issues this team had offensively were 1) an inability to put the ball on the floor, get to the rim, and finish and 2) poor ball movement. I don’t think moving an interior player to the perimeter will solve either of those issues, and in fact I think it would exacerbate them.

toddcudd
    Participant

I think most of us agree that two issues this team had offensively were 1) an inability to put the ball on the floor, get to the rim, and finish and 2) poor ball movement. I don’t think moving an interior player to the perimeter will solve either of those issues, and in fact I think it would exacerbate them.

Respectfully disagree. The biggest issue, again, was the inability to rebound the ball, followed closely by the lack of interior passing. If JC showed the slightest hint that he could play with his back to the hoop, I’d hear ya. HG was a natural 3, but showed that he could play with his back to the hoop, if needed. And we we had a good 2012 as a result.
    I was so impressed with Wroblicky tonight. Not for his post moves, which are good, but his ability to pass out of it. TK could do that – but he needs somebody to pass to. And I don’t mean threes.

pafan11
    Participant

I agree that rebounding is a major issue. However, I do not believe that playing SW, JC, JG, at 3,4,5,2 etc…. makes a difference. Rebounding is about physicality, effort, and attitude. Until this group of players shows a desire to attack the glass and mix it up physically LU will continue to get pounded on the boards no matter what the line-up.

Offensively, someone to attack the rim other than off a high screen and role and ball movement are the key. Half court was stagnant with little ball movement and lots of standing around. As for LU being a good outside shooting team, not sure I am sold on that other than CS. SC strokes when he has lots of time and space (not my opinion of great shooter). AP lots of attempts with a few games he got hot. JC same as AP. Neither in my opinion great shooters, average at best.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Respectfully disagree. The biggest issue, again, was the inability to rebound the ball, followed closely by the lack of interior passing. If JC showed the slightest hint that he could play with his back to the hoop, I’d hear ya. HG was a natural 3, but showed that he could play with his back to the hoop, if needed. And we we had a good 2012 as a result.
    I was so impressed with Wroblicky tonight. Not for his post moves, which are good, but his ability to pass out of it. TK could do that – but he needs somebody to pass to. And I don’t mean threes.

I agree that rebounding was the biggest issue on the team this year, but I specified biggest issues offensively. I think PA Fan is right too that rebounding comes down to mostly effort/attitude with some sound principles thrown in.

I would add that another issue we had offensively was not getting easy baskets in transition (outside of Mackey’s one man fast breaks). This is another reason I don’t think JG/JG/TK would work. You can’t throw any of those three guys the ball on the break until they are within 8 feet of the cup.

And honestly, I just don’t think JC has shown more on the perimeter than the block. What has he shown on the outside besides a decent 3 pt shot? There is more to being a perimeter player than just shooting 3’s. In his best game of the year (Sacred Heart) he had 2 threes and 9 two’s.

Rather than put him on the perimeter like this year, where he wasn’t especially effective, I think the staff should play to his strengths. I’d like to see him set a larger percentage of ball screens, as I think he is more dangerous rolling to the basket, catching in traffic, and elevating than TK. This would also allow for pick and pop 3’s. He should also be crashing the rim more for offensive rebounds, whether from the block or the 3 point line. Lastly, he should watch clips of all of HG’s alley oops in transition during his career and see what happens when you sprint the floor.

lehigh90
    Participant

With positions, I was pretty much referencing their offensive positions. You can mix and match on defense (i.e. have JC guard bigs, AP guard small wings, put CS on slower perimeter guys and MS/KR on the quicker guys).

I was frustrated with Reed’s offensive sets all season, and have been for years. As mentioned with no CJ to bail you out, the ball better move and rotate around the perimeter to get open shots. Particularly with our lack of wing penetrators. None of those guys can put it on the deck. Even with our Big 3, it was dump to low post, or have HG or CJ go 1 on 1 to score. Only given at this point is TK on the low block. I think it would make sense to play another big in the high post, preferably one who can pass a little bit. That could be SW, JG or JC. I would rather have that high/low option than 4 guys out standing on the perimeter. The big coming to the top to set the high pick and roll has not been very effective. Even with Gabe it just created a lot of long jumpers for big guys. I would run more of a 3 out 2 in motion style offense, put my 3 smaller, shooters on the perimeter, with a high/low post. We never have anyone in the high post, even sometimes we don’t attack zone that way. Too much standing around on the perimeter, ball comes your way and you chuck up a 3 or long 2. I would like Chuku options if he caught 12 feet from the basket. He could knock that shot down or penetrate much easier than from the wing. Also, gets him tighter to the basket for some easier looks and potential offensive rebounds.

I think Reed needs to take a long look at his offensive sets and defensive reliance on man-to-man. Needs to play more to his personnel, rather than making them fit his ideals.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

:) Think Kroogs doesn’t read here. Per tweet today putout NBA stats on O rebounding % and highest O rankings. No correlation. His point setting up correct shot on O is the key.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Agree with Kroogs about offensive rebounding being an overrated statistic but not to the extent that he does. NBA and college basketball aren’t the same animal. The NBA leader on offensive rebound percentage is Detroit at 31%. The NCAA leader is Kentucky at a whopping 42.4%. College teams miss more, and there is more talent discrepancy. Rebounding is a major factor in college hoops.

The combined record of the top 10 offensive rebounding % college basketball teams in the country this season? 231-86. Lehigh ranked 323 sandwiched between an 8-24 Longwood team and an 18-12 Arkansas State team.

On defense, Lehigh was 214 in the nation out of 351 in defensive rebounding %. Combined record of the top 10 teams in the country? A tidy 221-89. And if anyone thinks going zone would help our rebounding – the most famous zone team in the country (Syracuse) is right behind Lehigh at 215. It’s extremely hard to rebound out of a zone without match-ups to facilitate boxing out.

Like any stats, rebounding needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But I think Lehigh could improve substantially. I do agree with Kroogs that the focus for improvement should be on D though.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Just to build on this rebounding discussion, while offensive rebounds are great I would settle for being better at defensive rebounding!!! No matter how ya cut it rebounding important as we know. Nba stats to stick with Kroogs nba discussion:

Top 5 nba rebounding differential teams win/loss record: 219-107, 67 win percentage. Bottom 5 nba rebounding teams win/loss record, 142-178, 44 win percentage.

Top scoring teams in nba are pretty good overall at rebounding. Top 5 ppg teams rank 18, 5,4, 1, and 13 in rebounding differential.

Top 5 NCAA teams in poll:
    Florida +4.9 rpg
    Wiitchita state +7.8
    Villanova +3.9
    Arizona +8.5
    Louisville + 3.0

Rebounding the basketball is important.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.