Reruiting, top priorities???

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Reruiting, top priorities???

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

OK, we have a DB and a WR/RB in the fold. What are our greatest needs for this next class?

TMH
    Participant

I’ll start.
    We only recruited 1 QB in the last 2 years so I would start there. Our RBs for next year are credentialed (Brown & Kee) but I am not even certain if they made the away roster. Mueller may or may not be that guy. We need a rock in the middle. I believe Layton is returning but we are not stout enough there. The DBs for the most part all graduate. We have some young horses to back them up but we may be a bit thin next year.
    I would start there but I believe in diversity. Spread the talent around.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Mueller?

TMH
    Participant

oops.. Yosha….reading too many posts at the same time. I looked at a lot of tape. Every one of them features him as a RB.I think that is the position he will play here…but only the future knows for sure.

LU 77, 85, 88, 15
    Participant

#2 Brandon Yosha HT/WT/40: 6-0/190/4.6 RB
    Cathedral High (Indianapolis, IN)
    6/12/12 Once rated the 7th-best RB in the Nation as a sophomore before a pair of ACL injuries occurred, Yosha returned to action as a senior in 2011, but apparently received no scholarship offers last year according to Rivals. He has decided to walk-on at Miami.

van
    van
    Participant

This is the PL, so a stud at any position is a big positive. In general, need to recruit to replace this years Sophs so they are ready to start as Jrs. My order of preference.

#1 RB, 1 Sr that has underperformed and 2 Jrs with 0 carries on the roster next year, plus maybe Yosha
    #2 DL, weakest position this year and would be my #1 if RBs were not so depleted
    #3 QB, Poutier injury, McHale ineffective, Shaf, pretty thin here and as we saw this year a big problem if one gets hurt
    #4 WR, Paris and Gaul graduate next year, little experience after that
    #5 TE, Colgate and Coyle graduate next year
    #6 P, only because have never seen Devine kick and he is only punter on next years roster
    #7 FB, not a critical position in our O, but only one returning
    #8 OL, DB and LB, lot of talent returning but these guys usually fill special teams too

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Assuing no other losses to roster ,e can bring in up to 24 this yr.

On O 7 starters return w about 9 Lmen

On D 7 starters also w approx 16 Lmen

Lots of depth on paper at OL,DL,LB,DB,TE all other positions have issues ,top FB,QB,P,

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

If we make QB #1 ,what kind do we emphasize a dua threat or a pure drop back who can throw?

Kramer
    Kramer
    Participant

Great question Rich. Will shaf be the number 1 next year? Do we want to build a system around a read option QB? Or go with a more traditional system? Is the game changing, moving towards mobile quarterbacks, as opposed to pocket passers? Reed looked pretty good on Saturday, and I wouldn’t necessarily call him a running “threat”.

One other thing — we have a rising sophomore fullback who I think will be pretty good. Will using him more often necessitate us going with a more “traditional” offense?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Damn. Ken will def be FB. You’re right tho. Do we scrap Air Lehigh with Shaf or does Dave coach him into system. Been done before. Of those we have now only AJ is a classic drop back. Poutier a mobile gunslinger. Who knows his status for next year. Must ponder :)

Miller
    Participant

1-Big aggressive NG,if you want to stay with 3-4
    2-cover corners, but may need to change coaching technique
    3-QB,that can actually hit moving targets-
    unless Chick leaves
    4-RB/FB depending on what you want to run
    5-Linemen.
    If you said we’d end up 8-3 this year,most would have taken it. Just a very strange roller coaster ride,but very proud of THAT senior class.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Srs have a tremendous record. They need to show frosh how to do the same :). We only have 1 true inside DL ,Mitchell,fr. Does Andy address staff issues no
    Or wait til after Signing Day.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

This team manages to score year in, year out in the Cecchini era. If Coen and Cecchini think Shafnisky is the real deal and he better be (starting next year), it is going to tough to use a scholarship in 2014 on a QB who may only be starting for one year. I wouldn’t look QB until 2015. In regards to QB type, we’ve won with drop back (Stambaugh, Lum, BB) and running, scrambling (Hall, Colvin). Give me an arm, a brain and composure/confidence, and Cecchini/Coen will make it work.

Defense, defense, defense. Need a stud NG if we stick with the 3-4. If not, need two beefy D-tackles and quick, athletic D-Ends. I actually think we are OK with D-end types. Also, with scholarships kicking in and clearly a focus on upgrading OOC schedule, need cover corners. We need kids who can play effective man coverage which would allow the safeties to help in coverage and run support.

You’re always in the game with a good defense. Even with the best offense, if they can’t get on the field, you lose.

Anyone notice a theme to my posts? ;-)

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

LOL, yup quite clear. Great line …composure and a brain. Think Shaf has those. We have scads of DEs. Layton,Guyles,Remington could be decent DT rotation. NG has to have been a goal, perhaps not so easy to get. Looking back at prior lists, we did go after one but lost to Nova,another to Gate.
    Hate to raise this but a major key to next yr is keeping Dave.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Cecchini is always going to be on that bubble. Depends on the opportunities out there. He won’t leave for just any perceived ‘move up’. Either a HC at a quality FCS school or OC at a BCS school. Keep in mind, there is always the possibility Coen could leave with the right opportunity. I know he loves Lehigh and the area to raise his family, but if ‘that’ opportunity came along, who knows. Then ‘Chick’ becomes HC.
    As for personnel, it’s simple. Defense. Championships are won and lost (i.e. last two years) on the ability to stop the other and get off the field.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.