RPI update

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

Our RPI has jumped up to 167. Not that I put a whole lot of faith in those rankings at this point – I find the rankings of several of our early season opponents suspect. But it’s interesting, anyway.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/page/3/sort/RPI

I see that South Dakota St. knocked off Belmont over the weekend – that certainly doesn’t hurt. Bryant should be an interesting challenge for us, I think. Their RPI is at 57, seemingly due to a very tough non-conference schedule. They have also beaten a few Ivies, and Navy from the PL.

lehigh90
    Participant

I like to look at them, although who knows how accurate they really are. Interestingly, it puts Lehigh as the 4th best in PL, currently, which is probably where I would put them. I think Bucknell and BU are the two top right now. Don’t know which way Colgate will go but they have been fairly impressive in early action. I think Lafayette will improve.

If Lehigh can beat Quinnipiac and Bryant in their last 2 OOC games, we could probably call ourselves 2nd best in PL, going into regular season. Those have turned into pretty good barometer games. 2-0 would be great, 1-1 probably likely, and 0-2 would be a disappointment.

TMH
    Participant

I suspect that Texas Southern’s 90-89 win over Temple last night will help our RPI.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

By mid-January the RPI may start to reach some degree of reasonableness – but it will never be nearly as accurate as metrics such as Pomeroy, Sagarin, etc.

One extreme example to demonstrate the limitations of the RPI is that theoretically a team could go 0-30, losing every game by 60+ points, and end up in the top 30 in the nation in RPI.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: I suspect that Texas Southern’s 90-89 win over Temple last night will help our RPI.

Note that LU’s RPI actually dropped slightly, which shows one of the limitations of the RPI. While Texas Southern’s win over Temple was a good win on the court, it was not a particularly good RPI win – since Temple has a losing record.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.