Running Backs

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Running Backs

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Engineer86 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

youngfan
    Participant

It appears Lehigh football is taking an opposite tack from the basketball program which is loading up the roster with guards: 10 and counting with more being recruited, apparently.
    The running back position at Lehigh is on an opposite tack with few RB’s or FB’s having been brought in to the program of late. The last I looked there were five RB’s with two seniors – only one who gets snaps and one junior who plays very occasionally. There are two sophomores who never play and no freshman as far as I can tell. The two FB’s on the roster are both seniors.
    I assume this means we are looking at transfers as a possibility or will recruit at least two or three RBs with significance.

van
    van
    Participant

yep, 2 promising RBs recruited 2 years ago, (Brown and Kee) so no RBs recruited last year, wish they could get some reps, coaches seem to like Sodeke, but he has shown little in limited opportunities

highly regarded FB in this years frosh class (Crawford) should be ready to step in next year

youngfan
    Participant

It would be interesting to know what they feel is the potential in Sodeke. He runs upright and neither hits the gap well or goes outside and around. He is used sparingly so far so the coaches do not like him that much. The LU running game is mediocre and benefits from the fact that the passing is strong so we catch defenses by surprise.

van
    van
    Participant

well since his is #2 on the depth chart, they must think he is second best, of course this weeks notes may be different

youngfan
    Participant

Agreed – they do think he is second best as neither of the sophomores have been in for even one play. Maybe they are injured or there are other issues.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Brown medical red shirt. Sodeke is our 1 true HB,who seems to lack outside speed enuf to make a difference. Kee does have wiggle .Usually, RB wont move up til they learn how to block. Sherman has moments a very solid runner if not a game breaker. Love Farrell as a headbanger. Every yr,I put on our need list outside speed. Still waiting. None of top backs on the prospect list look to be burners. Crawford is Farrell redux,very tough,
    Brown and Kee both top RBs in HS.Lets hope Dan is healthy.

youngfan
    Participant

Agree with above. I wondered what happened to Brown.
    Sodeke also does not have a quick burst through the line.
    It is hard to believe they are not going after a “burner” at RB now that we are giving scholarships – makes no sense if LU wishes a balanced attack.
    Of course, the coaches know better than we do so let’s assume they have this figured out.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Actually,I agree with you. North South RBs nice with an OL more geared to run O. Speed back opens up so much, ala Pugh. Got to think we want one and are trying to do so.

Kramer
    Kramer
    Participant

My two cents: Sherman is gutsy, but not much speed due to that knee. Farrell has been a pleasant surprise. I’ve been disappointed with Sodeke; he seems so tentative, and has been totally ineffective. Kee has good quickness, and Brown has good vision and instincts, gets to/through the hole quickly, and can break tackles. I think the sophs will be real factors next year.

Crawford, the freshman FB, was a very good player in high school (I saw him play a couple of times). I think he will contribute next year.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Tough to recruit burning speed at our level. Fastest guys appear to be Knott and Leaks, who are WR and DB respectively. I,too, am curious about Sodeke. Just doesn’t seem to hit the hole quick enough. Neither does Sherman, but he has some moves and strength to still make something happen.

TMH
    Participant

I believe Sherman has been playing the entire season with a torn ligament and a believe a knee brace. Perhaps someone could confirm.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Keith has worn brace ever since he hurt knee. No doubt has slowed him down a good bit. He only shows flashes of the quickness he had as frosh andsoph. Nothing on hammy,dont know.

Kramer
    Kramer
    Participant

TMH, I think you are correct about Keith’s knee.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Maybe there are some extra LBs on the depth chart who can make the move to O. Seems like there was one a few years ago — his name (not Al Pierce) escapes me for the moment.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Farrell has added a new dimension to the running attack, something missing in an RB (as opposed to Colvin) for a long time.

That small-fast, big-strong 1-2 punch is nice to pair up with Air Lehigh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.