Running Game

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Running Game

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by sundayamqb sundayamqb 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

youngfan
    Participant

The running game is not where it needs to be and this was evident today.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

It’s a wee bit difficult to establish a consistent running game when your sieve like defense puts you so far behind. The drive that resulted in the interception at the Bucknell 7 yard line in the 1st quarter was mostly effective running. They ran OK once they tried it. They started the game incredibly pass happy, however.

youngfan
    Participant

True and on a windy day.

Also also true that the defense is also not where it needs to be.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Above descriptons of our D are much too kind. Andy says its because they are young. Flies for 1st 2-3 wks,not any more.D is terrible. Youth,dual DCs, are both reasons. Andy has 2 wks to fix the cluster fuck on D.
    I cannot understand the lack of desire and focus today by the entire team.In a PL game? No excuse.
    Kudos to BU for a well played game. For me a very embarrassing performance by all for us

youngfan
    Participant

The recruiting at D and RB has not been stellar so the personnel may not be there.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

The most embarrassing loss since the Holy Cross debacle at home several years ago. There was no energy, no focus, no intensity, weird play calling, no execution. How can virtually every team we play run up over 500 yards of offense? It’s worse than the defense during the Small years. Two years removed from Coach K leaving. The defense does not attack, it reacts. If we run the table, I guess we still win the PL on the criteria of head to head, but do we really want to see this team, at least the way it’s playing defense right now, to have to play a top team from the CAA, MVC or SoCon? Hopefully, some egos have been brought down to earth. We’re not as good as our pedigree. This is not Lehigh football. Championships start with defense, and we don’t have one. Two weeks to figure it out.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

D has become a shambles.It is not ,IMO, due specifically . to lack of talent.Overal l is this D is as talented as those under coach K. The major drawback is that Coach K is not the DC.
    Other than Newton, we have a cookie cutter assembly of tall athletic guys not one of whom is a run stuffer. K believed in bend dont break using Front 7 pressure to balance soft coverage. Front 7 does zip to protect 2ndary as DL fails to protect LBs on run plays. There is individual talent on D but there is little ,if any, coordination. This is coaching.

it is not lack of talent at rb as much as lack of outside speed. Brown,Kee and Farrell were all A-S RBs in HS. Ol has been solid all yr except for today. Part of that was the stellar play of the BU front.
    As we saw today, if O fails to show up,we cannot win. Only small bright spot was the running of Nick.Otherise everyone else merely went thru the motions

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Agree with Hawkineer.

First game I’ve seen this year in person.

It was a cluster in every way.

1) We had more fans than they did — but we had no cheerleaders or band. Our kids can’t travel for a game two hours away? Sad.

2) How many mistakes can you make in one game an expect to get away with them? Seems like guys might have been banged up. Kurfis seemingly dropped more passes today than in his entire career (hardly any). I think Sansone dropped more than he’s caught in his career. I’ve never seen as many drops by receivers. I’ve never seen Farrell stuffed twice like he was today. Ward is an incredible player, but the one that got through his hands led to a score by BU. Offsides on an otherwise perfect onside kickoff from the kicker to himself? Several key plays displayed a lack of focus that put this team way behind.

3) The D was an absolute sieve. Lax pass coverage, allowing QB to escape pressure, giving up big third-and long first downs — things that have been consistently shaky all year.

4) Bucknell was up for this game and was a step quicker than we were consistently. We set up several screens that were just a split second away from big plays, but BU was a step quicker.

5) The wind seemed to affect BB, whose balls either were floating a bit — and BU did a good job on coverage. I was not impressed by BB’s scrambling, compared to McHale (who seems to have the tools but forced a few throws into trouble) and Shafnisky, who looks like a shifty runner.

6) I hope BB is OK. Didn’t look good coming off field.

7) Outcome was shocking — I’ve not witnessed such a one-sided bad Lehjgh game in person in decades. But I guess I can’t be too surprised, having watched every other game this year. Kept expecting a comeback, but …

When LU plays heads-up offense, they can compete with anyone.

Will be an interesting rest of the season. Let’s see what these guys are made of. The potential is there to run the table and compete for the title, but it will take some serious soul-searching, preparation and dedication to excellence.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.