Saving Coach Coen

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Saving Coach Coen

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by hawkineer hawkineer 14 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Wizard
    Participant

What does Andy Coen need to do to return next season? Will a 7-4 record be good enough? Will another 6-5 make the cut? What if the 6-5 includes a PL championship and trip to the playoffs? If he goes less than 6-5 but promises to make major changes to his staff?

carney2
    Participant

As I said on AGS, I don’t see many, if any, of the Patriot League schools willy nilly firing athletic coaches based on win-loss records. Can you get pictures of Andy canoodlin’ with a Lehigh cheerleader? Then, you might have a case.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Andy’s contract is up. anything less than 6-5, he will not be asked back unless of course the six wins are the last 6 games of the season :roll:
    My real quandry is that Andy is a great guy. Pretty straight forward , I want him to succeed. He set a high standard when he came in with the goal of a Natl championship. His failure to be even in the hunt for the PL title looms all the larger.
    If he goes 4-2 in PL again and team shows progress over last 8 games :?:

Please God , if he does come back let him be his own OC.

A damn shame we are even having this discussion

LU65
    Participant

If we’re not playing on the last Saturday in November, he should submit his resignation. Brown should join him. Consider it a case of promises broken. If not promises then acknowledged expectations. A 3+ year record of 16-20 with little hope for the future just doesn’t cut it. Nice guys from all indications (see some player comments below), but certainly not ready for "prime time" D-I football.

"down to earth"
    "players coach"
    "reaches out to his players and encourages them to be better students as well as athletes"
    "very down to earth man"
    "very easy to talk to"
    "straight forward and honest coach"
    "he really gets to know each player on the team and cares for them hnot only as players but as people too"
    "he’s a great guy"

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

"carney2" wrote: Can you get pictures of Andy canoodlin’ with a Lehigh cheerleader? Then, you might have a case.

It can be arranged – Photoshop :mrgreen:

Historian
    Participant

If it is the last season of Coen’s contract, then there is no issue of a buy out. That makes it much easier to end things. In today’s economic environment, no school wants the added expense of a buy out.

Everyone has to be concerned by the lack of improvement during Coen’s tenure. Hank Small was a nice guy, but he went because the AD did not think he could take Lehigh to the next level. And his team’s were at least exciting.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Actually Hank had supposedly a better offer which LU would not match. Think he went toTulane as OC

The-Last-Engineer
    Participant

Think it was actually Wake Forest that Small went to, but I think that the offer LU wouldn’t match thing is correct.

Being 0-3 is bad. Being 0-3 and looking so consistently flat, uninspired, and outcoached is awful. I really thought that the wonderful win over those SOB’s from Easton last year really had the program turning a corner.

Wonder if Cecchini would be willing to interview for the job again?

LU65
    Participant

It’s not all bad……….

While we win and we lose as a team, let’s be honest ………..JB Clark and the guys smartly dressed in brown/tan/white jackets along the sidelines blew it last Saturday. They owe it to themselves and the rest of the team to turn it around now and begin to play / call an intelligent football game. The offensive brain trust might also wish to spend a few hours this week updating their resumes.

I won’t belabor the ugliness that was last Saturday – enough has been written already here and in other posts. But how about the 1. lackluster play of those charged with moving the ball down the field, 2. the wisdom of passing up a "sure" field goal down by 10 in 4th with less than 8 minutes to play (wonder what Randazza must be thinking), 3. the decision to stick with a qb who seldom if ever "looked-off" his intended receiver and when he did let the ball fly (many times 25-30 yards across the field) it had no chance of reaching its intended target on time, 4. the predictability of many of the plays called (in comes Colvin…wonder what comes next), 5. the spiritless play and beaten-down look of those on offense for much of the game, and 6. the non-use of our starting (and assumed healthy) running back Jay Campbell in the fourth quarter (just where was he after gaining 88 yards through three quarters of play and why was the inexperienced sophomore Matt Fitz chosen to run the ball late..3 attempts/2 net yards?)! Instead I’d like to praise the week-to-week improvement in the defense and the steady play of those on the special teams (like I say, it’s not all bad). It’s easy to overlook what the defense did when so many glaring mistakes took place on offense. So, hat’s off to the guys charged with the responsibility of stopping the other guys. The stats are clear, Princeton……………….

held the ball for just 23 minutes and 57 seconds

recorded but six first downs

managed to convert on only 2 of 14 third down opportunities

rushed the ball 31 times for 116 yards. Take away one quarterback scamper for 68 yards and you’re left with 30 for 48 yards or a 1.64 yds/carry stat.

star rb, Jordon Colbreath, managed to pushed the ball forward only 25 yards in 8 attempts

qb connected on only 9 fo 20 passing attempts – the longest being 11 yards – recording a measly 5.2 yd/completion

gave up two sacks of their quarterback and offered him little in the way of protection throughout the afternoon

You can say our defense finally " got the message" from their prior ’09 game experiences and finished the play. They gang-tackled, swarmed to the ball, covered the sidelines well, took away the deep pass, and didn’t give an each on the line. Nice job, Gentlemen. Now, let’s hope the offense under new leadership (word is out that Chris Lum gets the start under Center) gets the message, holds up their end of the bargain this week against the reigning Ivy League Champs, Harvard, and – as Coach Coen preaches – "finishes the play."

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

"LU65" wrote:
    You can say our defense finally " got the message" from their prior ’09 game experiences and finished the play. They gang-tackled, swarmed to the ball, covered the sidelines well, took away the deep pass, and didn’t give an each on the line. Nice job, Gentlemen.

It’s nice to take a glass is half full approach, especially in regards to the defense. Let’s just hope that it was due to a major improvement in the play of the defense rather a significant degradation in the opponent. I fear that it may have been the latter.

This week will provide a better measure as to where the defense stands.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.