Scheduling: 2013-14

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Scheduling: 2013-14

This topic contains 69 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author

LUHoops00
    Participant

Thanks 65!

Bit strange that they didn’t have the “long” trips get knocked out in the same week, as in I thought we’d come to boston once for both Bu and HC, but we’re coming on two separate occassions. I had figured us/laf, hc/bu, loy/navy are all natural travel partners and sites to lock in the same week….now, when is our non-conference schedule getting finished!

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

As LU65 correctly predicted, Lehigh just released info about this year’s MTE – the Legends Classic. Lehigh will play @ the Houston Cougars on 11/17 and then @ Pitt on 11/20. http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/mbball/lehigh_to_face_marquee_programs_as_part_of_legends_classic.aspx

The sub-regional will be at South Dakota state on 11/25 & 11/26 to face Texas Southern and then either SDSU or Howard. SDSU lost Nate Wolters who was an All-American and 2nd round pick. Last years RPI’s:

Houston: 197
    Pitt: 44
    Texas Southern:184
    SDSU:62
    Howard: 334

I assume South Dakota will take a big step back, Pitt will remain solid, and I really have no idea about the others. Not great RPI’s though certainly.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Tentatively as of today, with last year’s RPI in ().

Home:
    Rider (145)
    Sacred Heart (253)

Away:
    @ Houston (197)
    @ Pitt (44)
    @ Fordham (228)
    @ Bryant (158)
    @ St. Francis (PA) (322)

Nuetral (possible away):
    Texas Southern (184)
    Howard/SDSU (334/62)

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Not bad. Hope Doc has us ready

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Not bad. Hope Doc has us ready

I think it is pretty weak myself. Especially after all the “no one will play us while we have McCollum” talk. I didn’t believe that then, and I still don’t. Maybe if we played a decent schedule BEFORE McCollum it would make more sense, but we never did.

Granted there are still more games to fill, so hopefully there are a couple more quality (RPI <150) games added.

jsr31189
    Participant

Don’t mind the away schedule too much, but the home schedule is terrible. Who wants to walk 500 ft to go see Sacred Heart. Are these all long term deals we signed years ago or do we renew these bad teams every year out of desperation?

toddcudd
    Participant

I’ve brought this up elsewhere before. Shouldn’t more A10 teams be willing to book us? Seems like it would be good both ways; regional, and all that good stuff…

LU65
    Participant

Hang in there, disgruntled fans. I truly believe we’ll get another Top 50 team. No promises, but I’m still thinking (first mention back in April) it’ll be Minnesota in a season opener just days ahead of their play in the Maui Invitational. Of course, I could be wrong , despite nailing (thanks Stabler Bum for the mention) the Legends Classic matchups of Pitt and Houston. Anyway, the Minnesota website, like ours, is quite. Some sources report the Golden Gophers will publish this week. Time is running out. Should also see another home game on the slate. Doubt it’ll be a biggie.

As for contracted play, most “mid-major” play appears to be on a Home ‘n Home basis and run for either two or four years (see examples below). There are exceptions, of course. Take for instance, St. Francis (PA). I can’t remember a year we didn’t face the Red Fox. Any “major” is usually a “one-off” deal as it was with VCU and Baylor last year and St. John’s, Michigan State, and Iowa State the year before that. Those contests are normally in the home town vicinity of one of our upperclassmen.

Examples of Two Year Deals
    Quinnipiac (2011-12 and 2012-13)
    St. Peter’s (2010-11 and 2011-12)
    Cornell (2010-11 and 2011-12) and (2006-07 and 2007-08)
    Maris (2009-10 and 2010-11)
    Yale (2009-10 and 2010-11)
    Rider (2008-09 and 2009-10) — glad to see them back again this year
    Dartmouth (2008-09 and 2009-10)
    Longwood (2008-09 and 2009-10)
    Delaware State (2008-09 and 2009-10)

Examples of Four Year Deals
    Stony Brook (2007 thru 2011)
    NJIT (2007 thru 2011)
    Columbia (2006 thru 2010)
    Fordham (2010-11 thru this coming year)
    Bryant (2010-11 thru this coming year)

LUHoops00
    Participant

Hoping for minny 65!

Generally agree with others though as I never could or can understand how we never did deals with at st joes lasalle or temple. Offer two or three for ones but those games would excite our fan base big time!

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Hang in there, disgruntled fans. I truly believe we’ll get another Top 50 team. No promises, but I’m still thinking (first mention back in April) it’ll be Minnesota in a season opener just days ahead of their play in the Maui Invitational

Minny would be great, but garauntee games @ major teams don’t excite me that much. I’d much rather have a winnable game against a solid team from a solid leage, preferably that makes some geographic sense. Like any of the philly schools, UDel (football rival), and other CAA/MAC/A-10 teams. Also, totally agree with hoops. Offer 2 or even 3 for 1’s. A 2 for 1 with St. Joe’s or LaSalle is a great deal for a PL school. LaSalle played @ Rider, @ Hartford, and @ Northeastern last year, so please don’t say this isn’t possible. St. Joes played @ Morgan St and @ Coppin State.

toddcudd
    Participant

Hey bum – i have a noob question. What does a “guarantee game” mean? I’m sure it has to do with the money – but I don’t understand what the impact is.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Hey bum – i have a noob question. What does a “guarantee game” mean? I’m sure it has to do with the money – but I don’t understand what the impact is.

No worries. Guarantee games are common in both college football and basketball as a way for major programs to get wins and home games and for smaller programs to fund their departments. Basically, the major conference team (Michigan St for example) pays for a smaller school (Lehigh) to come and play them. Lehigh has all their expenses paid and receives a check, which can vary significantly, but usually for at least $50,000 (and much more in football). The major school pays their opponent, but receives the revenue from ticket sales, concessions, and maybe even t.v. (not sure on that one) and gets a win to pad their record (usually).

So basically, if Lehigh visits Minnesota this year it is because Minnesota offered to pay us to go out there. When mid-major teams are good it becomes more difficult to get these types of games, because the last thing a big school wants to do is pay to lose. This is probably we ended up playing North Texas last year instead of a BCS school for that game. The reason I’m not a huge fan is that although the opponent is a “name” school, it is very hard to beat them on the road. Lehigh beat Rutgers when we had Marquis Hall, but I don’t remember winning any other gaurantee games. It is also a virtual lock that we will play 3 of these games a year as they fund the program.

The other arrangements are “home and home” (self explanitory) or “2 for 1” in which one school gets a home game and the other gets 2. Bucknell has managed to schedule a 2 for 1 with Penn St (one game in Lewisburg and 2 in state college) which is a MAJOR coup for a PL school to get a Big 10 team to agree to that set-up. When we play NEC schools for example it is always a “home and home” as far as I know. Why we can’t get 2 for 1’s with CAA and A-10 schools is the ultimate scheduling mystery for me in regards to Lehigh.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: Why we can’t get 2 for 1′s with CAA and A-10 schools is the ultimate scheduling mystery for me in regards to Lehigh.

I’d suspect that the answer is simply that Lehigh doesn’t have a strong desire to play those teams. In recent years, Bucknell has had the following series:

– St. Joes: two for one
    – LaSalle: three for two
    – St. Bona: home and home
    – Richmond: double home and home
    – GMU: home and home
    – Drexel: home and home
    – Kent State: home and home
    – Ohio U: home and home
    – Penn State: two for one (originally) – but series may have been extended

Other decent home-and-homes have included Boston U and Loyola prior to their addition to the PL.

There could be some financial element, as in the home team guaranteeing the visitors’ expenses, but I doubt that is a major element. Also it appears that fear of losing was not a major element for the A10/CAA/MAC teams since BU has been pretty good in recent years – especially at home – and won 7 of the 10 home games played in the above series (not including Loyola and Boston). If Bucknell is able to get these types of series, it seems that LU should also be able to do so.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’d suspect that the answer is simply that Lehigh doesn’t have a strong desire to play those teams.

Oh, I’m well aware. Which makes the “no one will play us while we have CJ” non-sense we heard the past few years all the more unbearable. Obviously Lehigh home attendance is an issue for a number of reasons, but a large part of it is that the home slate is never appealing. If Lehigh believes in padding their record with cupcakes (which is certainly how it appears to me), I wish they would own up to it instead of claiming to be the victim of outside circumstances.

I’ve cited Bucknell’s scheduling as what we should aspire to countless times on this board. You guys obviously have advantages in facilities, fan support, and a more prolonged run of success – but even if we scheduled half or a 1/3 of those games you listed it would be a massive step up from where we are now.

toddcudd
    Participant

Thanks, bum! How did North Texas work, do you think? They wouldn’t have paid us, I can’t imagine. Will we be hosting them as part of a home-and-home?

And thanks to bison, too. I have to agree with the consensus here – LU ain’t trying. Considering the amount of “unknown” we’re facing this year, maybe that’s OK. But over a longer time window, there’s no excuse. I have to believe that scheduling teams like those you listed would have to help LU’s attendance.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.