Scholarship Question

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Baseball Scholarship Question

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 8 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Does Lehigh, and other PL schools, give any baseball scholarships? I know the NCAA limit is 11.7 scholarships in baseball, but wondering how funded the Lehigh program, and the PL in general, is compared to the rest of the country.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yes. We do. How many? No idea. I’m sure some others do. With Title IX, I expect schollies may have been reduced or eliminated throughout PL in baseball.

lehigh90
    Participant

Not sure exact number, my guess is the roster is whacking up 8-10 scholarships. Usually, your stud pitcher gets a full ride and one stud position player. Your stud pitchers throws the important league weekend games. Midweek games get lesser pitching. Rest of guys are getting partials to zero. That’s the way it works at the D1 places I have knowledge about.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Think max is 11.7. Given Title IX and football adding 60 on men’s side doubt we have anywhere near max in athletic aid. Agree that P”s get priority.

lehigh90
    Participant

I knew a kid who played at BC and he told me team was splitting 9.9 a few years ago. Have known some Rutgers players and at least a few years back they were not fully funded. Read on Internet that PL had no scholarships in baseball. So, unsure.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

NCAA raised baseball I quess. Pards give a couple. Think Bucknell also. Not sure about others.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=26285]Yes. We do. How many? No idea. I’m sure some others do. With Title IX, I expect schollies may have been reduced or eliminated throughout PL in baseball.

[/quote]

I believe LC gives out a couple now. Bucknell has none, and I don’t think HC has any.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks 137.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=26295]Not sure exact number, my guess is the roster is whacking up 8-10 scholarships. Usually, your stud pitcher gets a full ride and one stud position player. Your stud pitchers throws the important league weekend games. Midweek games get lesser pitching. Rest of guys are getting partials to zero. That’s the way it works at the D1 places I have knowledge about.

[/quote]

I don’t have any first-hand knowledge, but I doubt LU is giving out anywhere close to 8-10. A couple of years ago, the total was less than four. As mentioned above, LC has a couple while Bucknell and Holy Cross both have zero.

If they are giving out as many as 8, there is no excuse for LU not to run away with the league every year.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Bison137 Bison137.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Baseball had 5 in ’14. All partials from what I’m told. Would not be surprised if BU has at least some.

TMH
    Participant

Then I will assume that the Academies are at a huge advantage in this regards…..of course there is that commitment thing :-)

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=26309]Baseball had 5 in ’14. All partials from what I’m told. Would not be surprised if BU has at least some.

[/quote]

If BU means Bucknell, then that is not correct. They have no baseball scholarships. There is some need-based aid, but not a lot that is considered athletic aid.

Last year, the four non-academy teams spent the following on athletic aid, salaries, benefits, equipment, and recruiting expenses:

Bucknell 262,632
    Holy Cross 241,174
    Lafayette 446,752
    Lehigh 487,884

Note: Does not include game/travel expenses.

If you make an arbitrary assumption that salaries, benefits, equipment and recruiting expenses were 225k per school, then the athletic aid would look like this:

Bucknell 37,232
    Holy Cross 16,174
    Lafayette 221,752
    Lehigh 262,884

Note that not all athletically-related aid is scholarship money. It can be need-based aid that is structured differently for an athlete, e.g. more grants, less loans.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No JB referring to Boston.

lehigh90
    Participant

Told by alum today that played there that Villanova is at about 8 rides. 2-3 full rides, some partials, usually about 20/25%, and probably half of team paying their own way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.