Should we be worried?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Should we be worried?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

pafan11,
    I respect your judgment but think you could be very much underestimating the team we put on the floor next year. I made this comparison before but would certainly welcome comment.
    The 2010-2011 team was 16-15 and lost in the PL semifinals. They then lost about 25% of their offense in Ojo, Small, Keefer and Safstrom, while bringing in the current exiting class of CS, SC and CB.
    In 2011-2012, the leadership role was taken over by a former ROY/POY in CJ. The PG who was then a soph, had a year of experience piloting the team. HG gets hurt prior to the playoffs and plays a limited role. The starting lineup during that crucial stretch was CJ, GK,MM, Hamilton and Adams. Think about that for a moment. They win the PL championship and defeat Duke.
    The 2014-2015 team was 16-14, losing early in the PL tournament. They lose 10% of their offense in CS, SC and CB. They will be led by former ROY/POY with NBA aspirations who will also be just a junior. The sophomore PG was ROY in the PL the year before and has already surpassed many of MMs seasons. AP is on pace to be well over a 1K scorer (609 after his soph season). JG, JC, MS and BA are all more athletic than the vast majority of that the 2011-12 team and we are bringing in potentially one of our best recruiting classes ever with two *** recruits who both look ready to contribute immediately and a 6-11 C with a lot of skills.
    IMHO, there will be at least 5-6 players that have the ability to play on the professional level if they choose to go that way.
    Let me give you 2 analogies. Billy Taylor left to go to a bad program with a bigger paycheck and it didn’t go well.
    CJ McCollum could have come out after his junior year and been a low 1st round pick. He waited, got hurt and still got picked much higher with a much bigger paycheck.
    Brett is still a young man. If I were him, I know the road I would choose.

lehigh90
    Participant

It is not that difficult to play pro ball internationally, there are so many leagues, and so many levels. There are really good leagues like Spain and Turkey, and really bad ones like England. Gabe and Holden did not start off in very strong Euro leagues (Bulgaria and Holland), although Gabe has moved on to Austria and Holden now in Cyprus. If a guy like Michael Ojo is playing professionally in Europe (England, Cyprus, now Sweden), then I would think certainly AP, KR, TK, JG, JC and maybe even MS and BA could find somewhere to play if really interested. Will they be playing in the better leagues with bigger pay, no, but they could be playing professional basketball and seeing the world.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  lehigh90.

pafan11
    Participant

I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see this team having the same pieces the 2011-2012 team. I admit to not knowing the 2011-12 team nearly as well as some of you, so answer this question. Would you take any player on this team other than TK over a player on that team at their respective positions? I agree that if you have any ability you can play somewhere overseas but the only significant pro player I see on this roster is TK. I am not saying that Reed cannot win with this group I just don’t see this group accomplishing what that group did so I see his stock continuing to fall the longer he stays.

TMH
    Participant

pafan11,
    If a look at the lineup that won the Patriot League and beat Duke. CJ (and that’s a big one) would be the only player I would take from the 2012 team. KR as a freshman was better than MM as a junior. TK is better than GK. The combination of JG and JC is better and far more athletic than the combo of Hamilton and Adams. CJ is in a class of his own, but keep in mind that if APs minutes don’t change, he will likely be around 1,400-1,500 career points. If Leufroy turns out to be the real deal, then we may replacing him with someone who is even better than that. I have no idea where Holba will fit in but he will fit in somewhere. Anyone who scores half of his team’s points in the state championship game with 14 rebounds and 4 blocks is going to be a difference maker.
    Of course, this all depends on how this team improves but remember, we led Villanova for 3/4 game and beat AZ St and DePaul. The pieces are absolutely there. All we need is the leadership. Does anyone know whether TK is involved in the athletic leadership program. I saw a video on it and believe in relation to Nate Brown. It looks to be just what the doctor ordered (no pun intended).

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

What I think is interesting is all this talk involving Dr. Reed in the context of Dave Paulsen of Bucknell jumping to George Mason, a place that couldn’t be more different than Bucknell in every way. Almost everyone who’s talked about the Paulsen hire said he jumped for the money.

toddcudd
    Participant

While money certainly would be an important factor, I think I’d call more broadly a “career move”. A step up in competition, exposure, resources, etc. That’s just my speculation though.

toddcudd
    Participant

Liberty board seems to think they have ID’d their guy – Hoffman from Mercer.

TMH
    Participant

toddcudd,
    There were obviously looking for a way to beat Duke. Perhaps they are aspiring to the ACC. :-)

lehigh90
    Participant

Not sure which conference worse Southern (Mercer) or Big South (Liberty). Could see a money move but certainly not better program.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

In all this talk about basketball, did I miss you discuss the news that TK was all-American honorable mention? Saw it in the sports agate of my local paper today CJ was, too in his time here? TK first one?

toddcudd
    Participant

Thanks sunday – I missed that! Will do some searching.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

People seem to be focused on individual talent. IMO working together as a unit, dare I say “team” is highly critical in basketball. Talent takes you so far, but not to championships unless there is a molding of the pieces into a well-oiled machine with parts (bench) available to replace if necessary. With the way this team performed with a lot of inexperience, I think the ceiling is very high for this group.

toddcudd
    Participant

Gulp. News just hit that Hoffman turned down Liberty offer. Liberty is announcing their new coach tomorrow at 1pm.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Liberty hired McKay ,asst coach at UVA.

TMH
    Participant

Now what do we talk about :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.