Spring Football Updates………???????

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Spring Football Updates………???????

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Lehigh74 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    van
    van
    Participant

[quote quote=31201]I’d like to see the tight ends get more involved in the offense. That’s an extra weapon that we haven’t really taken advantage of the last few years.

[/quote]agree with using all the weapons, but with a good running game and Peletier, Casey and now Richardson in the slot as receivers gotta be hard to share the ball much with TEs

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Answer may just be to score 50+ points a game. :

just a fan
    Participant

kids got a lot of reps yesterday which i thought was great to see, looks like competition all over the field on defense which is good to see, offense will be fine again, LB’s looks to be the greatest mystery, safeties looked a bit lost at times and communication breakdown on 2 long pass plays for TDs
    Overall

Back2Back

Anonymous

The defense dominated the offense for 3/4s of the scrimmage. Only when the defense put in a lot of twos the offense moved. The only time the offense connected was about at 5-6 seconds from the snap. Sorry, that ain’t going to work on game day. Rbs looked okay. Qb looked non-urgent and uninspired. Very slow. I’m not going to get worked up over a scrimmage but the offense has a lot of work ahead. I thought the defense played well and actually better than what I thought. If 5-6 seconds were not allowed I feel the defense would have completely shut down the offense. I do not see brad staying on campus for the summer as a good thing…if thats true!!!either he’s in trouble academically and the team is masking it…or the team needs a lot of work on offense. Players paying there own ticket throughout the summer Im sure is not what the parents want to do…it might be a necessity. I have one eyebrow up??? I liked Bevins on offense. he gets open. i think our secondary will be strong and our d-line will be good. noticed a couple of kids not dressed like a big o-lineman and a qb…also one on defense.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

I’m not sold on Mayes being the next coming of Tom Brady. He played great against mostly weak competition. The biggest thing I took away from those games is his ability to make all the throws. There’s no doubt he can sling it. But that alone isn’t going to cut it for 11 games.

Mayes looked completely lost at times against UNH. His decision making wasn’t good and he looked a bit sloppy physically out there. (He’s built a lot like former backup Mike Probst) ‘Nova has some ballers on defense that will get after him.

Shafnisky really took his game to another level last year. His ability to stretch the field along with his running paved the way for the historic offensive output. Becoming a complete QB cemented Shaf’s legacy after a lot of peaks and valleys during his So. and Jr. years. Mayes has pretty big shoes to fill…..

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Definitely a tough act for Brad to follow Shaf. UNH debacle not a fair representation for either of them. Both had a bad case of the flu.
    Think you are selling Mayes short. He has shown poise and a tremendous amount of talent. His body of work is exceptional.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

[quote quote=31209] I do not see brad staying on campus for the summer as a good thing…if thats true!!!either he’s in trouble academically and the team is masking it…or the team needs a lot of work on offense. Players paying there own ticket throughout the summer Im sure is not what the parents want to do…it might be a necessity.
    [/quote]

C’mon, GAME ON, lots of students hang around for the summer — athletes to work out together, students to take classes, kids on internships.

Most upperclassmen have their off-campus houses year-round, so basically room is free. Summer classes are relatively inexpensive. If I’m a football player and can take four classes in fall and four over the summer … And maybe he’s got an internship in the Lehigh Valley?

You know what happens when we ass-u-me?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

[quote quote=31212]Definitely a tough act for Brad to follow Shaf. UNH debacle not a fair representation for either of them. Both had a bad case of the flu.
    Think you are selling Mayes short. He has shown poise and a tremendous amount of talent. His body of work is exceptional.

[/quote]

That is true that he wasn’t feeling well against UNH. My point is the next time he takes the field it will be against a Top 20 team, again. He’ll have to be at the top of the game from the start. Teams will also be able to game plan exclusively for him. He was tremendous against Yale, Holy Cross and Georgetown. But those teams aren’t in the same league as ‘Nova right now. Arm talent alone isn’t going to cut it. ‘Nova has the potential to test his patience. The one thing working for Mayes is the tremendous talent around him.

My fear is Lehigh gets too pass happy with Mayes and he goes into gunslinger mode. They need to maintain balance.

van
    van
    Participant

agree on balance, and with a healthy Brags and the OL we have this year there is no reason to get pass happy, given the way Mayes can sling it, the receivers available to him and Brags running behind a veteran and talented OL, opposing D coordinators have their hands full

now if the D continues to improve, could be a special year

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree van. We have excellent skills players on O and a very good veteran OL. No reason to run a Hank Small O.
    Dont see any reason to be other than pleased that Brad is staying on campus. A lot of players do each year.Many take a course or two to ease the load during the year. Gives him the opportunity to work out with a lot of his teammates. Staff are allowed to have mini positional group workouts over the summer. Worked very well last summer. Gave position coaches time to do individual technique training.

Lehigh74
    Participant

[quote quote=31212]
    [/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. Unfair to compare the two based on last year. Shaf had two more years experience. The only fair way to compare them is to compare their Sophomore seasons. If you look at it that way, I think Mayes stacks up pretty well.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  Lehigh74.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.