Stat Junkie

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

pafan11
    Participant

For all of you stat junkies like myself:
    Per Minute played:
    Player Pts RB Asst TO Stl
    MM .53 .11 .16 .07 .03
    AP .51 .02 .01 .02 .05
    MS .28 .09 .09 .12 .00
    CS .27 .08 .09 .05 .007
    SW .20 .12 .01 .03 .00
    SC .08 .20 .05 .14 .00

Interesting look at production per minute in my opinion. Bigs to follow later.

toddcudd
    Participant

Definitely interesting! I’m eager to see the bigs, too.

LU65
    Participant

Good work, pafan11. I’m glad to see I’m not the only stat junkie.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I called it out on the other thread, but I’d like to see AP grab 3 rebounds a game for the minutes he is playing. As a decent athlete with a high basketball IQ he should be able to sneak in for 3 boards over 30 minutes.

TMH
    Participant

Ask and you shall recieve:

Player Pts RB asst TO Stl Bl
    TK .48 .12 .03 .08 .02 .01
    JC .32 .27 .02 .03 .01 .05
    JG .20 .20 0.0 .05 0.0 0.0
    CB .22 .38 .05 0.0 0.0 .03

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Here are two stats for you stat junkies out there. Right now Lehigh has a defensive rebounding rate of 62.7%. That number is the percentage of misses by the opponent that Lehigh secures as a defensive rebound. This ranks them 287th in the country out of 351 teams.

By contrast, in OFFENSIVE rebounding %, Pitt is ranked 4th in the country at 50%. So half of the times they miss, they get it back via offensive rebound.

Basically, this does not bode well for tonight. At all.

toddcudd
    Participant

Yeah, kinda scary. Did you happen to see what those numbers looked like for other PL teams?

pafan11
    Participant

StablerBum,

Great stat and you are right not a great match-up for LU. Must be a total team focus on the glass tonight or may get away from them quickly. I will be there and hope to see some physicality and toughness.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Here is the link to the #’s: http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-rebounding-pct

A few other PL teams defensive rebound % rank nationally:
    Bucknell – 67
    Boston – 213
    Holy Cross – 187
    Loyola – 304
    Lafayette – 315
    American -188

This early in the season, this number depends a lot on who you have played against. Also, it is rare for PL team’s to excel in this area against major conference teams because of the difference in size/athleticism. That said, I think it is a HUGE indicator in a PL team’s ability to compete and beat major conference opponents. If you can’t defensively rebound at a decent %, it is EXTREMELY difficult to win games. For example, Fordham beat Lehigh by 8 with the same # of turnovers and shooting a worse %. The reason being that they got 11 more shots up than Lehigh because of offensive rebounds.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

After the debacle on the boards last night, we are now down to 319 of 351 in total rebounding percentage (% of available rebounds offensive and defensive that a team collects). That is also dead last in the PL.

LU65
    Participant

After watching each of the seven games played to date, I sit here wondering what might have been.

One thought (assume readers/posters have others) that crossed my mind: If only Anthony D’Orazio (Sr. / 94 game career with 23.1 mpg and 6.4 ppg last year) and Stephan Cvrkalj Jr. / 61 game career with 14.2 mpg and 4.4 ppg last year) had been available to play since “day one” and not sidelined with nagging injuries to hip/leg and foot, respectively. Were the two even available during the summer and training camp days to impart their “senior” wisdom and experience? Not sure. Would our opening day lineup have been different? Can’t help but think so. Would we look inept as we do today? Doubtful!

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m “all in” on our freshmen class and the promise of better days to come. But, I’m not sure our freshmen class can be trusted with the “keys to the kingdom.” Not yet, anyway. It’s too soon and too much to ask. You just don’t say goodbye to 69.5% of your scoring and 39.3% of your rebounds (CJ, HG, and GK) and replace them, for the most part, with raw recruits who are presently getting an unprecedented 52.1% of the team minutes (see below). It’s time to temper our expectations for this year – if you haven’t done so already.

Counting JC as a freshman, the group of seven have seen 730 of the team’s 1400 minutes to date. For comparative purposes, checkout the frosh minutes from around the PL.

• Colgate: 3.3%
    • Loyola: 4.5%
    • Bucknell: 5.7%
    • Boston U.: 9.5%
    • Lafayette: 18.4%
    • Army: 19.6%
    • Navy: 20.6%
    • Holy Cross: 25.0%
    • American: 27.2%

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

I think American is 15.2%, not 27.2%.

Also I think Army’s frosh have played only 14.8% of total minutes, not 19.6%. It also helps when all of their freshmen have already played a redshirt year together at MAPS, learning the team’s system from a former player.

On the other hand, it looks like Navy’s frosh have played over 25% of their minutes – the highest percentage in the league.

LU65
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll have to rerun my army, navy and American numbers to catch the slight discrepancies. As for the highest % it remains LU @ 52.1 %(730/1400) doesn’t it? Yes, JC was counted as a freshman. Otherwise, our freshman number would be 39%. Still the highest/worse in the PL.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Once AD healthy expect that % will go down a bit How many minutes will AD deduct, 15 or so?

LU65
    Participant

Never in recent history – perhaps never before – have the young been asked to do so much. Talk about on the job training! Imagine the impact this experience will have in the years to come.

Season / % Minutes/ % Points / Freshmen Players

2013-14 / 40.7 / 44.8 / AP, SW, MS, TK, CR, GP
    11 games

2112-13 / 6.2 / 3.5 / JG, DC
    Full season

2011-12 / 9.7 / 8.0 / CS, CB, SC
    Full season

2010-11 / 14.6 / 13.1 / MM, AD
    Full season

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.