Stony Brook, playoff game #1

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Stony Brook, playoff game #1

This topic contains 40 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  LUPhillyPhan 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Another butt whupping. A shame. For us to win O needs to be perfect. We werent today vs a good D. Our D had its moments but at the end of the day it is just a really really bad unit.Big plays again as usual this year.
    59-29 last score before I walked away.

van
    van
    Participant

[quote quote=33050]First half comments:

This game should be much closer.

I’m impressed at how LU’s talent matches with SB, which has good OL, D and a diverse corps of RBs.

D playing well enough, but missed FG and fumbled kickoff (second in two weeks) really hurt. They are probably difference in game. Hopefully special teams plays Grade A ball the rest of the way.

Stony Brook isn’t Lafayette, which was up by 10 last week. But … I hope LU players know they can pull it off if they (and coaches) execute. Talent is there …[/quote]
    disagree, talent is not there and coaching is not either

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

Sterrett to Coen tomorrow.
    “Andy, you have two options. You either replace the entire defensive staff and special teams coach or we replace you. You have overseen mediocrity for the past five seasons. Tradition, Pride and Passion require a change either at the top or within the staff. You have five minutes to decide. The program deserves more than the coaches have been giving.”

Lehigh74
    Participant

[quote quote=33053]Sterrett to Coen tomorrow.
    “Andy, you have two options. You either replace the entire defensive staff and special teams coach or we replace you. You have overseen mediocrity for the past five seasons. Tradition, Pride and Passion require a change either at the top or within the staff. You have five minutes to decide. The program deserves more than the coaches have been giving.”[/quote]

Totally agree that this should be the conversation. Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Inexperience, talent , coaching ??? Take your pick. Something needs to be done for sure.

buck
    Participant

Legendarily awful defense.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree buck. They did have some good moments but at the end of the day gave up 622 yds and 59 pts. I have run out of synonyms for atrocious.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

Watch the video on the Lehigh Sports website. Listen to Coen’s comments about the defense.

After watching this, Sterrett has to let him go! There is something significantly wrong here!
    http://lehighsports.com/news/2017/11/25/football-lehighs-season-ends-at-stony-brook-with-59-29-setback-in-fcs-first-round.aspx

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by hawkineer hawkineer.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Watched video. Seems all he recalls are D ‘s good plays and effort. Cant ignore the bottom line by just saying ” we didnt like the final numbers”. Yeah D had a decent 1st half( at least by current standards) but got hammered in the 2nd. Hard to spin 622 yds and 59 pts into anything positive. We’ll be back next year??? Geez dont see how Andy.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

If Joe feels Andy is an asset to the athletic department, find an opening for him in the administration. If Lehigh wants to be competitive at this level they have to make hard decisions and move on from a coaching situation that is consistently headed down hill. And perhaps the entire Patriot league needs to consider their competitive ambitions at this level. Was any one ranked in the top 25? Or even received votes? 11/20/17 coaches poll shows ZERO Patriot league teams even receiving votes? WTF is going on?

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Van: After watching third quarter, it’s clear my first-half comments were misguided … probably by homerism.

Hawkineer’s right.

This was another defensive embarrassment against a mediocre FCS unit. I can’t imagine what will happen vs. Navy.

This team (and the PL) competed better at higher levels before it offered athletic scholarships.

For several years we had an incredibly disciplined team outmanned and outgunned on D that hung in there by executing fundamentals (few turnovers, penalties, good tackling) and playing smart.

I’m going to miss Pelletier and Casey, especially. What a fun, talented, dynamic duo to watch.

van
    van
    Participant

a number of high character seniors that are going to be sorely missed, Troy and Gatlin for sure, but also Cavenas, Short, Duffy, O’Hara, Paulson, and Timo

young guys better grow some quick of next year is gonna be very painful to watch

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I thought Mayes, Pelletier, Casey and the rest of the offense really showed what they can do offensively. I think Troy and Gatlin are going to be in NFL camps this coming year, and they put on a show against one of the best defenses in the country. Additionally, I thought Mayes played terrific, turnover-free ball. SBU knew he had to pass often and yet he still delivered the goods.

The defense was what is was. They make some good stops, but also give up way too many big plays. I think what frustrated me most was the last two TDs they gave up. I think every Lehigh fan could have easily accepted a 45-29 loss and chalked it up to a learning experience. What sits a lot less well were those two late touchdowns that made it two straight 50+ point games given up in the playoffs.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I knew this would be a massive challenge for this team. I simply came in looking for a better performance than the one up at UNH. The answer was that is was better offensively – the skill guys really got to show FCS Nation what they were about, which made me very happy. On defense, I don’t see all black clouds and lightning, but the fact is that you can’t give up more than 50 points in games and hope to win. This offseason, it’s up to the coaching staff to develop some stars on defense, guys who will go to Annapolis wearing Lehigh uniforms who will establish a positive identity on defense against an extremely challenging triple-option offense and a team that plays hard every down and is extremely fast and talented. Lehigh goes into the offseason as defending champs and have a chance to build off that success and the victory over Lafayette to make a stand on the national stage.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  lfnadmin.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well said LFN. Question where are the character guys on D. The leaders. Caveness was our best. Think we will have to look for an underclassman. Haffner Norris. Guyd with talent and fire.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

SB fielded 19 4th/5th yr players yesterday. A reminder of how redshirting hurts PL. For us our O led by 4th/5th yr players competed well. Our back 7 on D has 10 fr/so players out of 14 on the 2 deep.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.