The road back to…

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football The road back to…

This topic contains 72 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  LehighGuy 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Seems pretty accurate.

tigerfb75
    Participant

such a lack of creativity on the offensive side. was hoping the offense was vanilla last week so they didn’t show their hand to JMU, but guess that was just a pipe dream…
    ALSO there was a lot of talk about how the freshmen would play and make an impact right away, the only ones I really see are the B’s in the backfield (because there is really no one else) and JB and SM on certain plays on D but very rarely..there is no way that this pass defense can be any worse, it is horrid and needs to be fixed. with no creativity on offense and a non existent secondary, you are not going to win. i like montgomery and harris, talented but inexperienced, but on the other hand they cannot possibly be worse then what we have seen from last year up until today.. adjustments need to be made all around after that performance, whether its coaching, playing different guys (maybe a few guys in that “super”freshman class???) but one thing is clear and that is changes need to be made..have to turn the page and you cannot dwell on losses like this but man what an embarrassment and a horribly painful game to watch.

just a fan
    Participant

Secondary is horrible. ??????? I wonder if Leaks and #1 ever won in high school… how many of those starters are and were winners growing up. I want winners!!!!!

Hawkineer2
    Participant

By the way, CCSU was hammered today by Stoney Brook: 38 – 9. It was fairly evident last week that this is not an effort out of the era of Lehigh football greatness.
    Hopefully, the freshman class and future classes bolster the talent, strength, and toughness profile.

However, the coaching situation is another matter. Are we so easy to read that almost all running plays get stuffed? Apparently so as Lehigh totaled 70 yards today and that included the yardage NS picked up on broken plays and scrambles. Other than those plays, our “3 yards and a cloud/smash mouth running game” yielded about a total of about 25 – 30 yards in the entire game.
    Apparently, the idea that the HC and OC were hiding their repertoire of plays to fool future opponents was not quite accurate.

Doc Qb
    Participant

AC is 39-9 w cecchini. 2 PL titles, wins against CAA teams, 2 ten plus win seasons, then 10-1, 8-3 years before he left. The O put points on the board. The 8-3 yr was better than expected at start, as Dave developed Bialkowski, who no one expected to play that well. Had he not gotten hurt at Bucknell, that season ends much better, too.

Then he left.

What’s next?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Just watched Andy’s recap. Honest as usual. Admitted basically everything we have been posting. Said he thought we could run on JMU,admitted we couldn’t. No comment on why we kept at it. Hit the same issues on D with tackling. Concluded that si.ce we are so young( the excusd for this year),game could be a good learning experience going forward.
    Didn’g seem angry just depressdd and a bit lost.
    Frustrating and sad news conference.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

Quote of the Day? “Our team competed,” Coen said. Fascinating!

Hawkineer2
    Participant

This is amazing stuff!
    He thought we could run on JMU!
    On what basis? – The element of surprise? Superior strength on the line? The fact we spread the field and set up the run with our passing game?
    I know he has to say something to cover up the decision but this is bizarre.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

I question whether the D ‘scheme’ was bad. I lost count of the number of times we hit a JMU back in the backfield or at the LOS and missed the tackle by poor technique or had the tackle broken. In essence, the players were in position to make the play but failed to execute! So it wasn’t scheme but talent. I was surprised because I thought the tackling was decent at CCSU.

Offense a mystery. Our OL was to be improved this year, but has not appeared so to date, and that is the #1 problem, though not the only one. Some of our WRs might be able to get separation if they had time. But Shaf rarely has more than three seconds and any decent DB can stay with a WR that long. It’s when the QB has time. The separation occurs and bingo. When we scored quickly on the pass to the RB, i thought, “wow, our coaches have picked up on something we are going to exploit.” Not. I think the OC may be in over his head, as I don’t see much creativity. There is talent. Keep in mind Andy was our OC at the beginnnig of the great run in the late 1990’s and did well at Penn. So I am confused as to why this has happened. I agree our high water mark during his regime was with Cecchini was the OC, but we have a bigger problem on defense. After all this offense is averaging over 400 yards a game right now. I think the next three weeks will really tell us where we are at, and it won’t be easy if the disabled list lengthens.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

[quote=21699]This is amazing stuff!
    He thought we could run on JMU!
    On what basis? – The element of surprise? Superior strength on the line? The fact we spread the field and set up the run with our passing game?
    I know he has to say something to cover up the decision but this is bizarre.

[/quote]

Based on the fact we ran on them last year quite well. Of course, the JMU we saw a year ago was not the same team that ended up in the playoffs. Nor the same team this year as they returned alot who are bigger, faster, and acclimated to their new system after a full year. So watching last year’s tape would give false assurance. The Morehead State tape should have and did send warning signs.
    As John McKay once said of his Tampa Bay team when asked about its execution, “I think it is a good idea.” The key to this game becoming a debacle as opposed to a competitive game was the defensive’s inability to wrap up and tackle. A decent defensive effort and no fumble return for a TD and a much closer result.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

[quote=21696]AC is 39-9 w cecchini. 2 PL titles, wins against CAA teams, 2 ten plus win seasons, then 10-1, 8-3 years before he left. The O put points on the board. The 8-3 yr was better than expected at start, as Dave developed Bialkowski, who no one expected to play that well. Had he not gotten hurt at Bucknell, that season ends much better, too.

Then he left.

What’s next?

[/quote]
    Trey and Drew,smh.
    Doc think you said it best this was a body bag game vs a team we used to compete with.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

1) On talent: The team we have out there might indeed, player for player, be the best assembled.

Problem is, we should have the best team ever assembled as we’re into year four (right?) of schollies.

Also, while we have the best group assembled, perhaps, almost every other institution can make the same claim.

Why? I think the quality of football and today’s athletes — many of whom are committed year-round to personal fitness and sport-specific training, compared to yesteryear’s three- or four-sport athletes — is better than ever. Everywhere.

2) On AC: Great observations on record with Cecchini and without. How about with Coach Kotulski and without? We have not had an outstanding D since he left.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Speaking of Dave Cecchini:

I wonder how long his leash is after a second-year blowout loss like this:

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Actually, we are only in year 3 of scholarships.

I wonder how the Valpo fans are reacting with the new “Air Valpo”?

Bottom line, there is so much that goes into what results in winning or losing.

just a fan
    Participant

Coach say we are young and give some time. Well I be dammm…. with that being said why isn’t there any substitutions being made on defense… Offense is really not that bad. Play calling is just horrible. Talent is there… I stand by this freshman class.. not saying at all they should start but they should be rotated in a few plays to keep #1 and #26 hungry and competing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.