The road back to…

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football The road back to…

This topic contains 72 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  LehighGuy 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

As to current O,I agree totally. Why? Nick,Folmar,OL… No idea,could be any or all. Separation ? You would know better than I. My gut is some happy feet by Nick not giving them time to separate. Also,have those times when he really didn’t have any time. Biggest fact to me is that if all your pass O is wighin 15 yds of LOS,secondary can sit on WRs much more easily.
    Future. Do think WRs are good and should get better. Can they under this OC? No idea.

just a fan
    Participant

I think so. I think they just need time to develop… listen fellas these are not full time football players. They don’t dream of NFL JMU had 2 players with Sr. On the back of there jerseys. They playing for bread and meat. We playing for Fortune 500 companies that’s a major difference in attitude.. we don’t train 365 like those other kids do, our kids intern in the summer. We will be fine in league play just OOC we gonna suck if we keep scheduling like JMU teams.

holyloch61
    Participant

WOW Lots of negative comments on a game on paper LEHIGH had NO CHANCE to WIN !!! A 22 point underdog has little or no chance when playing a far superior team . JMU has bigger ,faster and better players than does LEHIGH ,they also have DOZENS of redshirt players in all class years ,not only redshirt F .To live in the past and comment on how Lehigh won games before is foolish .Teams now do not worry about grade point ave. or if there football players even graduate .They are at these school’s to PLAY football for maybe 4,5 or maybe 6 years .The O for Lehigh played a half decent game .The O line could have done a little better job at pass and run blocking .Our WR are not fast or quick to get separation from DB’s on other team .You cannot run the ball up the middle when the other team knows it and is waiting for Lehigh RB’s to run the ball up the middle .The D is almost as bad as last year ,and with more injuries it looks like it might get worse .The only good thing I saw was Lehigh’s QB who was25of38and had at least 5 pass’s dropped by the WR’s and a RB .QB was also leading rusher with 53 even after being sacked 5 times .To say the Lehigh QB has time to view the field and find open WR’s is lame and mainly untrue .At best QB’s will have 3to5 seconds to locate an open guy ,if not he better duck or run for his life and that is what our QB does best .Maybe AC or the OC can come up with some trick plays to give the QB some extra time or how about some imagination and innovation in play calling .

just a fan
    Participant

Well said

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

Wow, now we are going to resort to disparaging the opponents. They train 365, GPAs don’t matter, our kids go to class, theirs maybe not. They’re playing for bread and meat? We’re playing for Fortune 500 companies? Say what?

Two years ago we beat a playoff bound UNH team and four years ago we beat an excellent Towson and were very competitive against ND State.

If we’re not here to win league titles, go toe to toe with the FCS big boys, and make hay in the playoffs, what is the point of going to scholarships?

Let’s focus on Lehigh has to do to turn this around and not whine about how the FCS world is stacked against us?

holyloch61
    Participant

Hawk Nobody is whining ,just stating the FACTS !!! The past is GONE be happy that LEHIGH won some really big games . Can they do it now against teams like JMU ,or NAVY like some of the guys on here want Lehigh to play .Be realistic other teams are getting better and signing better players thanLehigh .Everybody likes to win but winning and losing does go up and down .Lets see how Lehigh does playing against teams on the same level as Lehigh has right now and then evaluate the team and it’s players and coach’s

LehighGuy
    Participant

A bunch of excuses here. LU does give schollys, and players do train 365. Theyre SMART fb players who happen to pick LU. Our studs couldve went elsewhere, and we have plenty. Just a bad performance, we need to play HUNGRY kids n not pacify kids already on the system. Shheeeet or get of the toilet. This is D1 scholarship football. We have kids that can compete, put them in. Such as our DBs, how many times do they have to foook up for someone to say you haf your chance……next!

LehighGuy
    Participant

Im really down on our CBs, especially 26. He hasnt proven hes a starting corner. I would argue Montgomery or Redmond couldn’t do any worse. Same thing for #1. If you dont produce….next man up….PERIOD!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Holy,probably a good idea to follow your own advice and focus on LU rather than bashing JMU.
    We are getting better athletes these last 2 classes in particular. First class was more of a learning experience for coaches. Got some vdry good players but not a deep class. No matter how athletic our last 2 classes are they are still freshmn and sophomores. JMU like most CAA teams redshirts most of their frosh. On Saturday,we faced a team stocked with redshirt players as well as being bigger,faster…
    And no our classes are as good of better than the other PL teams.
    With 4-5 schollie classes we will compete quite well with CAA squads.
    As to training,players work out year round. What we lack most is game experience. And some kind of O plan a lot more focused than what we’ve seen so far.

just a fan
    Participant

THAt’s all I’m saying. PERIOD I’m never gonna throw kids under the bus. It’s a FACT and I never said anything about GPA don’t change the narrative. When you transfer schools because of playing time it’s about next level it just FACTS… like I finished by saying we will be fine when league play start…

LehighGuy
    Participant

Not so sure well be fine when league play starts. Wishful thinking. Same ole D, same ole players, same ole results when we play a competent O. I know you guys love the freshman TBs, they have shown me nothing, not even against CCSU. They can only run through WIDE open holes, and what Rb cant do that. As far as Dom and the Rudy reference….hilarious. on his TD he kept looking back for twenty yards and was thankful he made it, not real confident in that 4.4 speed you guys claim he has. He should be good maybe for PL play. Maybe he should line up as a slot, only time he makes plays is catching ball out of backfield…rb position…NO. I think hes this yr version of the MU transfer, his name escapes me right now. Show what impression he left

TMH
    Participant

Had the opportunity to chat with several people with some inside knowledge. There is nothing earth shattering here since I said much of the same stuff after watching one practice but follow the progression.
    a.)Lehigh’s OL is large but slow. There is no Rackley or Daryoush to anchor this group. It is not conducive to pass blocking which leads to
    b.)Nick locks into one receiver. If he is not open, he immediately resorts to the run. The lack of pass protection compounds this problem but it is not the root cause. This is the way he was groomed in HS…….
    c.)Our opponents are well aware of a.) and b.). There are two true frosh on the 2 deep (I think the coaches do too). JMU was not only on to it this year but also reportedly knew all his tendencies on where he will run.
    d.)Due to the lack of pass protection, our FB and TE routinely stay in to block but also allows the opposition to fill the gaps with LBs. Our RBs are very good but have had almost no running room. Get them in space and they will amaze you….
    e.)BM has the better arm, that has been acknowledged by several insiders but he is still raw and is far more one-dimensional. Hence he drops back 6 X and gets sacked twice.

This makes it very difficult for any OC. The solution I suppose is in the short passing game and Nick has been pretty adept there, completing about 68% of his throws but that also involves throwing in traffic, perhaps explaing the 3 picks.

TMH
    Participant

Lehigh Guy,
    Please stop. It’s getting nauseating.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks TMH explains a lot of what we see. Recall Andy saying they were working on Nick’s patiencecboth in Spring and preseadon. Even Nick commented saying he was getting better. Still an issue. Assume these points are being pointed out to Nick. Would also explain lack of a vertical game. A point you mentioned earlier comes to mind. OL are the same guys we had last year. Sawyer’s departure looms a bit larger. If OL cant hold long enough on pass plays really limits O schemes. Since replacing them is not an option, I would think calling some screens beyond the WR screen would help to slow down pass rush.Someting more creative.
    Perhaps we’ll just hope rest of our opponents dont have.as good pass rushes. Not the best basis for an offense going forward.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Main problem with the O is that too much rides on Shaf. and Defenses will have to start respecting other weapons if we are to be successful. With the remaining schedule I see us underdogs to Fordham and Yale with all other games toss-ups or favored (Georgetown). The focus is to get better each week. If they do that we will be okay.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.