Tidbit of the Day

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Tidbit of the Day

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Since everything has slowed to a crawl during the holidays, here is the tidbit for 12/23/14

After 10 games, (1/3 season) Kahron Ross leads the Patriot League in assists (5.6) and Tim Kempton leads the league in rebounds (8.1)

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Not too shabby. Is anyone going down to Baltimore Sunday?

TMH
    Participant

Today’s interesting tidbit (at least to me):-) for 12/24

Lehigh leads the Patriot League in rebounding at 37.1/g.
    Lehigh is last in the league in rebounding defense with 38.1/g

One can assume that the reason for this anomaly is the pace of Lehigh games vs the rest of the league. That may not be all of it though. The vast, vast majority of Lehigh’s rebounds are on the defensive end. Lehigh also leads the PL in shooting % defense and 3 pt shooting defense.

I wish everyone here a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy 2015.

TMH
    Participant

Christmas tidbit.

Barring an extreme breakout by either CS or TK, this season will be the first basketball season that ends without a 1,000 point scorer on it since Brett Reed’s first season as head coach in 2007-2008.

I’m willing to prognosticate that we may not see another one for quite some time.

toddcudd
    Participant

Oh, oh! I’ve got a daily tidbit! I’m following a Mark Adams on twitter (@EnthusiAdams), who seems to have a focus on smaller budget college hoops. He posts regular updates on big wins, with the hashtag #domorewithless, over big money programs. This lead me to do some quick research.
    Both DePaul and ASU spend in the range of 6.2-6.3 million per year on men’s hoops, based on 2013 expenses. LU reports 2013 expenses at about 1.4 million – near the bottom of even the PL.
    Loyola and Bucky appear to top the PL, at just over 2 mil.
    #domorewithless indeed!!

Source

TMH
    Participant

Leftover Christmas Tidbit 12/26

This sunday’s women’s basketball game will pit the #73 Duquesne Dukes against the #77 Lehigh Mountainhawks at Stabler Arena.

I’m trying to see if we ever hosted a game of 2 top 80 teams. There is a possibility with Duquesne or Villanova in 2010.

TMH
    Participant

12/27 Tidbit early

Kerry Kinek needs only 14 points in the Duquesne game on Sunday to reach the 1,000 point mark.

TMH
    Participant

Kerry Kinek scores her 1,000th point vs Duquesne today.

LU65
    Participant

Assist to Field Goals Made (A/FGM)

Find me a team with a ratio of .650 or higher and more often than not I’ll show you a winner. Thanks in large part to Kahron – with 14 and 10 assist nights to his credit this year – that seems to be holding true for Lehigh. Here’s a close look at our 8 games played in the PL.

Opponent / Our Assist to FGM Ratio / Result
    CU / .625 / L
    BU / .579 / L
    Loyola / .565 / L
    American / .364 / L
    4 Game Average = .563

Army / .654 / W
    Holy Cross / .739 / W
    2 Game Average = .694

In out of conference (OOC) play, we averaged .641 in our 6 wins and .540 in our 5 losses.

P.S. Kenneth Pomeroy ranks KR 11th in the nation in something he calls the “Assist Rate” which he defines as “assists divided by teammates’ made field goals.”

Yeah, I think we found ourselves a winner in KR.

toddcudd
    Participant

Good stuff, 65! Amazingly consistent stat. I don’t fully understand it, however. It feels like this would indicate a problem with ball movement – too much reliance on isolation. But it doesn’t feel like that’s been a problem, to the naked eye. Maybe this is a product of poor FG%? Don’t get assists when you miss the shots…
    Will be fun to monitor that stat for a while!

LU65
    Participant

Todd, there’s an intangible part of this stat – call it the “feel good” component – that I really think has a direct bearing on the outcome of games. Simply, the more a player gets involved in producing a score – be it in offering up an assist or even creating a steal that leads to a score – the more “pumped” and happier he’ll be. I sincerely believe this attitude is catching and impacts the overall performance of the team. Just take a look at the player who comes back to the bench after delivering a key assist – even if he had gone 0 for 3 in shooting that day.

Bottom line….Way too often we have forced-up unassisted shots leading to poor FG%s when, in my opinion, better scoring options existed. Hey, it’s just my opinion.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

65 I think you are spot on. Increased patience on offense, particularly when the opponent is on a run, would go a long way to getting this team over the hump. We seem so apt to go off kilter when the other team gets hot. KR seems more and more to be the leader who can get that done. Like everyone else I’m hoping we break the inconsistency Wednesday against a down and very beatable Navy team.

toddcudd
    Participant

Points taken – good ones! Maybe our bad % is a result of guys trying to create their own, vs. catch and shoot in good spots. And I’m totally with you on the “feel good” bit. The analytics guys would hate us for it, but I do believe in momentum and confidence.

TMH
    Participant

Here is a little something to follow.

The Lehigh record for rebounds in a season for women’s basketball is still held by Anne Tierney (2000-2001) with 335 and 11.2 r/g

To date Lexi Martins is averaging 11.3 r/g (11th in the nation, #1 in the PL) with 180 and at least 13 games left on the schedule.

van
    van
    Participant

the American number is really sad, hope coach can figure out how to beat their zone defense before we see them again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.