Time for Andy to go

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Time for Andy to go

This topic contains 89 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

Andy has now HC for 10 years. With exception of the Lum/Cecchini years, Lehigh has been mediocre. He hasn’t gotten it done. Recruiting in the schollie era is a different animal that Andy hasn’t yet shown an ability to adapt to. His first schollie guy, Shaf, is underwhelming as a QB.

TIME FOR A CHANGE!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

Temple has become Lehigh and Lehigh has become Temple. How about some fire (not screaming for no reason) and interaction with the players. In a game like this Shaf should be by his side after every possession. Or at least engage the offense on the bench.

Temple has a great young coach in Matt Rhule. He won’t be in North Philly for too long but he’s the type of guy that would succeed at Lehigh. Young, energetic and on a mission….

Lehigh74
    Participant

Not sure recruiting is the biggest part of the problem. The coaching, particularly on the defensive side, leaves a lot to be desired.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by  Lehigh74.

Engineer86
    Participant

offensive coaching is even worse, and it all points to Andy. It is time for a change, unless Lehigh wants to accept mediocrity cause it is clear to me that is all this staff can produce.

Neighbor
    Participant

There’s no way this coaching disconnect is being corrected any time soon. Plus, the entire group of instructors and motivators will remain through this season.

I suppose there’s still time to win against Yale, but really, is that enough? The program is stalled and needs a NEW future. A big part of that, if not THE biggest part, is a new group of coaches.

But, does it matter at Lehigh? Maybe beating Lafayette will be enough to keep this dud going.

The disinterested student body, smaller game attendance, boring Goodman Stadium, and general lack of ‘buzz’ the past few years should convince everyone (even the most dedicated and patient) the program can’t seem to get out of low gear under those now making decisions.

Engineer86
    Participant

Does Sterette care that the stands are near empty?

Lehigh74
    Participant

Why would he not care? Lehigh has 10 Patriot League championships. I believe those all occurred during his term as athletic director.

Engineer86
    Participant

Ok, what does that have to do with this?

lu90
    Participant

Wake me up when Coen is gone. The rest of his time will continue to look just like this. Horrible Defense, uninspired effort, mental mistakes, poor game planning, bad coaching….The Cecchini Era was the only time it looked different and that was only because he was forced on Coen. Coen continues to have his players and staff do the same thing over and over again and he expects different results. I wonder if Sterrett will make the same mistake by watching him do the same thing over and over again but yet bring him back again and expect something different.

I know it would be a slight step backwards, but when is Cecchini’s contract up at Valpo?7

buck
    Participant

Decided lack of talent on both sides of the ball, that’s just poor recruiting. Clearly time for a change, but that will have to wait for end of season. Zero play makers, slow white guys and even slower black dudes.

hawktalker
    Participant

I’d hate to see AC get fired but his record without Cecchini is probably sub .500. Lehigh hasn’t fired a FB coach in 20 years. If not Andy who?

buck
    Participant

Lehigh is a desirable destination so finding the next coach is not a problem, they’ll be able to choose from a long list of capable candidates. Andy is a worker bee, he’ll find work on somebody’s staff and finish out his career as a coordinator.

brucesprin
    brucesprin
    Participant

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 2009, so probably not as long as most of you. That being said, in that span of time we have had mostly a successful team. I’m not in favor of change for the sake of change. Yes, there are dramatic needs to be met, mostly the dline — and the offense does need to open it up earlier. However, I feel Andy has earned our respect. Open it up for the PL season coach — for my and my house, we are with you! Go Lehigh!

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

People have to remember this is the PL and not the SEC, Big 14 or PAC 12. The purpose of football at PL schools is to provide a nice compliment as a great education and leadership experience. Everyone wants to win. Not everyone can win…all the time. As long as we are playing to win, striving to win and doing our best to win, that is what drives the decision on hiring and retaining coaches. Too many people have the mindset created from watching too much ESPN and seeing the pontificators talking about Saban, Miles, etc. and all the big programs that exist for making money. If you lose, you lose money. At the PL level, you lose money even when you win, so there is a different paradigm at work. A good football, basketball and in Lehigh’s unique environment, wrestling team provides our community with a sense of pride, connection and tradition. We need to keep that. To that end, Andy needs to honestly assess what is not working and address it. He as run a good, clean program and deserves the benefit of getting it fixed. He is one of the winningest coaches we’ve had and there may be some truth in fact that the winningest time was during Chick and Coach K’s time here. But Andy brought them here. Most coaches don’t make a career being OCs in small schools like Lehigh. I want to see the team go out to Bucknell and beat the crap out of the Bison. At the very least I want to seem them out there fired up and doing everything they can to win. With the PL season about to start, we need to assess once all the dust has settled.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

I guess I don’t understand the athletic mission. I believe everyone on this board understands that the PL is not the SEC or Big 10. However, it doesn’t seem unreasonable that we are competitive with the CAA and dominate the Ivies and NEC. We certainly were and did prior to scholarships. If the “purpose of football at PL schools is to provide a nice compliment as a great education and leadership experience”, what was the purpose of going to scholarships? This could have been accomplished with need based grants. Why not just follow the Georgetown model?

I thought the purpose of schollies was to take the program to the next level and be competitive nationally at the FCS level (not the FBS level!!!!!!).If the mission is not to do this, then the athletic partnership has seen my last dollar going to football, because I believe I was mislead.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.