Time for Andy to go

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Time for Andy to go

This topic contains 89 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

[quote=22468]OK
    some of you want a major overhaul of staff- that is fine

but you know what you are going to get- at the minimum 3 more years of inconsistency-

1st – if Andy goes- and a new coach comes in- the new coach views the players as andy’s player’s especially the quarterback-the new coach wants his players! which takes time and from what I have been reading none of you have time!

you need to give this coaching staff until 2017 it will be four full years of scholarship players!!

I don’t know what teams you have been watching- but I can say the freshman and sophomore class is loaded with talent
    I repeat we probably have the two best running backs in the league

And to the person who stated give them a kick in the ass

That worked when Bear Bryant and Woody Hayes- it is never appropriate to be degrading to any player- you need to build confidence- provide them with information- and support- this is a new generation of players- and some of you that report on this site- probably were the same parents that complained about the midget coaches, high school coaches and so on!

I always told parents- if you want to coach- put in an application

[/quote]

Sorry Observer, but by your logic, a change will bring more years or inconsistency and therefore we should never make a change. When looking at the complete body of work, Andy’s tenure has been mediocre. Other than Lum, the QB recruiting has been uninspired – meaning he has focused on run-oriented QB’s over more pure passers. The program needs a facelift.

Andy might need a change too.

TMH
    Participant

“Other than Lum, the QB recruiting has been uninspired – meaning he has focused on run-oriented QB’s over more pure passers.”

Stats can come in handy. Lum, as you remember was a pretty prolific QB. He was followed by Colvin for one year, who certainly could run but also threw for over 3,000 yards. He was followed by Bialkowski, a pure passer who threw for over 330 ypg until his season ending injury. Shaf played with multiple tears in his shoulder last year but is currently the #1 passer in the PL and the #8 passer in the nation. His heir apparent was ranked as the #24 HS drop back passer in the HS by one service. I think Andy has done just fine finding and developing passing QBs.
    I suppose beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Uninspired?? An asinine comment. Shaf is a nationally ranked passer. His backup is a 3* passing QB. Colvin and Bialkowski.Uninspired might apply to DL recruiting but not QB.

Miller
    Participant

the only reason we got Lum was because he was injured in HS, would have gone elsewhere, and Rich, if you don’t expect a product on the field and agree we are a higher institution with athletics secondary, then stop your bitching, we will always suck with that mentality.

toddcudd
    Participant

if you don’t expect a product on the field and agree we are a higher institution with athletics secondary, then stop your bitching, we will always suck with that mentality.

See Duke, Stanford.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Miller
    Huh? What ar you talkjng about? Ghaf post makes no sense.
    We got Chris because all the FBs teams backed off after he broke his arm in jr yr. Point is we were rdcruiting him. We got Colvin over Hadvarx and Syracuse because his Dad is aa alum and Mike had bedn set on LU since he was a kid. We went out to Ariz to get the leading passdr in the State. Same yr we got a dual threat QB who was A-S NJ.
    Yes we do have an athletic 2ndary that is beginning to mesh. Improving but still has a way to go.
    I went to Lehigh and played football. So I know who and what we are. Just what am I bitching about? We nesd to get better to win. I think we will.
    We are not a football factory that puts “product” on the field. We put student athletes ou there.
    If you sant bitching read l my psts on play calls.

objective observer
    Participant

I LIKE YOU RICHH YOU UNDERSTAND – WHAT THEY ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO!

LET THE SEASON PLAY OUT-

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thanks. oo. Now to Beat Bucknell.

LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

[quote=22530]the only reason we got Lum was because he was injured in HS, would have gone elsewhere, and Rich, if you don’t expect a product on the field and agree we are a higher institution with athletics secondary, then stop your bitching, we will always suck with that mentality.

[/quote]

[quote=22526]Uninspired?? An asinine comment. Shaf is a nationally ranked passer. His backup is a 3* passing QB. Colvin and Bialkowski.Uninspired might apply to DL recruiting but not QB.

[/quote]

I don’t normally get into pissing matches here, Rich, but citing Shaf’s yards as proof he is a great QB or passer is disingenuous. Shaf can’t throw downfield for anything. He has a “chucking” motion and very few long passes to his name. I think that busted-coverage pass against Penn was his longest (I’m guessing here). The point is: he is not a downfield passer, but a RB masquerading as a QB. Colvin was more of the same, but it took Andy almost the whole season to realize that and take advantage of his running prowess. I will say that Bialkowksi seemed to have the chops, but sadly we didn’t see much of him. JB was no great passer.

Maybe you see more in Shaf than I do, but thus far, he hasn’t inspired (I.e uninspired).

LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

[quote=22534]I LIKE YOU RICHH YOU UNDERSTAND – WHAT THEY ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO!

LET THE SEASON PLAY OUT-

[/quote]

Oh wise Observer, please do tell what they are “attempting” to do, because it is not evident to me.

Also, apparently we must just sit silently and not express ourselves until the season plays out. It’s playing out alright – and not in a positive fashion.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Pretty fair summary Hawker. Iz’m not much of a form over results guy. Colvin a crude thrower but great results. BB a pure passer,very accurate with not much of an arm. I think you are underestimating Nick. Last year anything over 10 yds was a chuck,longer was a javelin throw. This year he throws a crisp ball up to 20 yds. He arcs his longer throws but at least they aren’t balloons. He doesn’t have great arm strength but good enuf. Hell,so far he doesn’t have the time to throw 50 yd passes :)
    A bit unusual to carp about the #8 passer in FCS.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

What they are trying to do is teach a bunch of new starters,frosh and upperclassmen to mesh as a unit. There are 11 assignments on each play. One or two miss heir job and the play fails,whether on O or D. Last week our lines got trashed . O L more it seems ,from their comments, due to being outcoached by Yale line coaches who changed their tendencies and schemes. PU we gave PU 4 TOs plus last two games we had more penalties than we had in the first3 .
    While it seems trite,Andy is right that consistency is th base for winning. That is a learned process.

LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

[quote=22539]Pretty fair summary Hawker. Iz’m not much of a form over results guy. Colvin a crude thrower but great results. BB a pure passer,very accurate with not much of an arm. I think you are underestimating Nick. Last year anything over 10 yds was a chuck,longer was a javelin throw. This year he throws a crisp ball up to 20 yds. He arcs his longer throws but at least they aren’t balloons. He doesn’t have great arm strength but good enuf. Hell,so far he doesn’t have the time to throw 50 yd passes :)
    A bit unusual to carp about the #8 passer in FCS.

[/quote]

For sure Shaf has the stats and had decent stats last year as well despite the injury. But my beef is less with Shaf and more with Andy. Personally, I think Andy was too quick to use his first scholarship on Nick, but assuming Nick is better than we’ve seen only reinforces my problems with the coaching. Whether it is an OC issue or HC issue, Andy is in charge.

I also can not forgive the Abomination in the Bronx. Losing is one thing; laying the biggest egg against Lafayette in like 20 years on the biggest stage, where the team was unprepared and disinterested is unconscionable.

I’m also tired of hearing Andy talk about “competing”. I remember hearing that same garbage from 2006-2010. Pierce saved Andy’s ass with that interception in the OT game. Cecchini shows up and everything gets better; he leaves and it goes to pot. Causation or correlation?

Maybe he should takeover OC duties and see what happens.

Obviously nothing is going to happen in-season, but I want a fresh look at the results and who is in charge of the team.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dont disagree with your feelings in the least. A true cluster fuck at ghe Stadium whjch I also lay at the feet of the staff. As to Nick he was a very good get. It was us or UNH. I do agree that class was not as good as it could have been. Certainly less talented than the next two classes. Believe that class was a learning experience for him. Looking around PL seems all had hit a.d miss groups that first year. Look at our roster. A few solid srs. No stars. Jr class some stars and a group of solid players. The frosh are by far the deepest and most talented group on the team. Hard to get consistency from a team with most of your best players are underclassmen.
    I have my reservations about Andy but dont blame him for this situation. If he fails to fix it, the blame is on him and his staff. We lost one game we should have won in PU and got our asses kickd by two teams that ar just better than us right now.

buck
    Participant

I wonder if Andy truly thinks he looks good with that ridiculous beard?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.