Tourney time?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Tourney time?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 11 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Per LoRe team practicing this wk.

avgrenn
    Participant

Any word on expected invite? NIT? Will CJ play in tourney?

LU65
    Participant

Apparently, not everyone is spending time at home or on some southern beach during Spring Break this year and, yes, there’s truth to the rumor that practices are indeed being held.

80 open slots! Why not one for Lehigh?

To get the juices going, here’s a look at this year’s “other” post-season tournaments.

College Insider – 32 Teams
    http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/
    2012 Winner: Mercer

College Basketball Invitational – 16 Teams
    http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/index_main.htm
    2012 Winner: Pittsburgh

National Invitational Tournament (NIT) – 32 Teams
    http://www.ncaa.com/championships/basketball-men/nit#!postseason_nit
    2012 Winner: Stanford

LU65
    Participant

nycbuckets.com tells us that BU and Loyola (MD) – the two soon-to-be members of the PL – have accepted bids to this year’s Collegeinsider Tournament (CIT). Not only that, they’re scheduled to play one another in a First Round game. See list below of others who have accepted invites to play in this year’s CIT:

•Great West auto-bid
    •Youngstown St. (CIT host)
    •Rider
    •UIC (CIT host)
    •Bradley (CIT host)
    •Hartford (CIT host)
    •Tennessee St.
    •Loyola (MD) (CIT hosting Boston University Tuesday March 19, 7:30pm)
    •Canisius (CIT host)
    •Green Bay
    •Fairfield
    •Boston University (at Loyola (MD) on Tuesday March 19, 7:30pm)
    •Tulane (CIT host)
    •South Alabama
    •Gardner Webb (CIT host)

Officially Accepted CBI Bids:
    •None I know of.

LUHoops00
    Participant

I thought we were done, but so fired up for wherever we land, just the ability to have another game is so awesome.

NIT probably long shot, but I’d take anything just to see the team suit up again.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

I’d expect it to be the CIT – which is all midmajors – as opposed to the CBI, but who knows.     Both require potentially writing a significant check.   BTW. Pat Flannery is a member of the CIT Selection Committee – although I kind of doubt there are a lot of meetings or discussion.

Answering the question further up,  there’s no chance for the NIT.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

I’d expect it to be the CIT – which is all midmajors – as opposed to the CBI, but who knows.     Both require potentially writing a significant check.   BTW. Pat Flannery is a member of the CIT Selection Committee – although I kind of doubt there are a lot of meetings or discussion.

Answering the question further up,  there’s no chance for the NIT.    (Well, maybe a very slight chance if the NIT abandons their own rules and LU promises that CJ will play.)

LU65
    Participant

E. Carolina, Kent State, Elon, and Oakland latest to accepts bids to play in CIT. Total now stands at 19. Only 13 slots remain. Wagner, Vermont and Lehigh latest to be added to list of “Schools Being Mentioned for CBI/CIT Bids.”

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

LU definitely gets a CIT bid if they want one.    Last year, the CIT went MUCH further down the RPI ladder than LU’s 107.    They took a number of team with RPI’s above 150 and some with RPI’s above 200.   And they’ve already done it this year with teams like Boston U (150 RPI) and Elon (#177).

LU65
    Participant

For what it’s worth, JTemplon of nycbuckets.com projects Lehigh will go up against Canisius in Round One of the CIT. The waiting game continues.

Projected CollegeInsider.com Tournament (known teams in bold):

Youngstown St. vs. Oakland
    UIC vs. Chicago State (auto bid)
    Bradley vs. Green Bay
    Loyola (MD) vs. Boston U.
    Hartford vs. Rider
    Tulane vs. South Alabama
    Kent State vs. Fairfield
    Evansville vs. Tennessee St
    Canisius vs. Lehigh
    Gardner Webb vs. Eastern Kentucky
    East Carolina vs. Elon
    UC Irvine vs. North Dakota State
    Weber State vs. Cal Poly
    Texas-Arlington vs. Oral Roberts
    Florida International vs. NC Central
    Arkansas St. vs. Savannah State

LUHoops00
    Participant

Bucknell who we beat without CJ just got an 11, so if we’re hosting a NIT game it wouldn’t surprise me :)!!! We’ll see who we get soon, and where we are, but shocked BU got an 11, and Butler who is a good matchup for them.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Wonder what we would have gotten if we ran table in PL and CJ was leading country in scoring, an 8 this year? Tourney wide open, as we know, which makes this year hurt even more.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

With a 108 RPI and only one top 125 win (Bucknell), I think the chance of an NIT bid is very close to zero.   There are about 30 teams with RPI’s better than 90 who didn’t get NCAA bids.

I still think the CIT is most likely.  Should know soon.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Lehigh @ Wyoming on Tuesday in the CBI.  Have to say that I don’t really get this.  It would be one thing if CJ was coming back and we wanted to give him a platform to prove his health, but I don’t see that ha

pening (and this isn’t the NIT which would have been much more of a platform).  We aren’t a young team looking to gain postseason experience for next year.  The seniors had an awesome 4 years, and I’ll support them to the end, but I’m not sure of the attraction here.

I would rather the staff was focused on signing someone in the spring with the last scholarship and the skill development of the returnees.

PaGoWyo
    Participant

I’ve been waitin for this game for years! Im originally from Wyoming. Live in the lehigh valley now. Will be a good game, hopefully Leonard Washington

healthy! Has been battling a bad back for the past month at the least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.