UMBC – Game 10

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball UMBC – Game 10

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  randomfan 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

WHO is UMBC?

I had to do some research to satisfy myself. Here goes, in case you didn’t know………

Student Enrollment, Fall 2012: 13,637

Graduate: 2,684
    Undergraduate: 10,953
    Freshman Class Profile
    Average GPA: 3.7
    Average SAT: 1223 (critical reading and mathematics)

Academic Programs

UMBC offers 42 majors and 41 minors, as well as 17 certificate programs, spanning the arts, engineering and information technology, humanities, sciences, pre-professional studies and social sciences.
    UMBC’s Graduate School offers 37 master’s degree programs, 24 doctoral degree programs and 21 graduate certificate programs. Programs are offered in education, engineering, emergency health services, imaging and digital arts, information technology, aging services, life sciences, psychology, public policy and a host of other fields.

Athletic Programs

More than 400 student-athletes compete in 19 NCAA Division I sports. The UMBC Retrievers participate in the America East Conference. Facilities include a 4,500-seat stadium and track and field complex, the 4,000-seat Retriever Activities Center (RAC) Arena, an indoor and outdoor aquatics complex, tennis courts, a soccer stadium, baseball and softball fields and practice fields. UMBC’s mascot is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever and our spirit colors are black and gold.

UMBC is located on 500 acres 15 minutes from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor and 30 minutes from Washington, D.C.

The game at hand
      Game Time / Location / TV

2pm, Saturday, Dec. 7th / Stabler Arena / PL Network

Game Notes

Not yet published

KenPom Rankings and Chance of Winning

UMBS (2-6) ranked 311th
    America East Conference (28th ranked)
    @
    Lehigh (3-4) ranked 196th
    Patriot League (16th ranked)
    LU wins 75-64 (87% chance)

Get to Know UMBC Retriever Basketball

No stranger to PL play, they have already lost to: AU by 2, Loyola (MD) by 6 and to Navy by 15

Their 2 D-I wins came at home over Mt. St. Mary’s and Maryland Eastern Shore.

The last time out they lost to 207th ranked Dukes of Duquesne.

Chris Plummer, their 6’6” sr. forward, takes 38.1% of their shots. Only two other players across American take a greater percentage of their team’s shots. He has led the team in scoring 32 times over the course of his career.

They play an up-tempo game. In fact, only 56 of the 351 teams in D-I play at a faster pace. The need to get back on “D” will certainly be put to the test. This up-tempo style of play was once a hallmark of LU basketball. This year, however, we’re in the bottom quartile of teams in terms of ‘pace of play.’

They can rebound the ball, snatching over 33% off the offensive board and giving up just 30% on defense. While they may get out-rebounded by an average of 1 board/game, it compares favorably to our -8.1 rebounding margin.

They struggle from beyond the arc with a 3FG% of .285 (301st best).

While they may start 2 seniors (Roseboro and Plummer), their overall experience level is about like ours, i.e., weak.

While prone to giving the ball up via a steal, they’ll take it away from you with relative ease (11.3% of each possession (35th best) and, in general, force turnovers 20.2% of the time -another top 100 stat in their favor. I’ll be anxious to see how respond to the pressure.

Roseboro (6.3ppg, 5.2rpg) matches Kempton in height @ 6’10”

They have played 3 OT games – winning one and losing two. Their win, the team’s best of the year, came against Mount St. Mary’s. Great video highlights available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js9drcCpBb0

toddcudd
    Participant

Thanks for the research, 65!!

toddcudd
    Participant

This is kind of interesting, to me. Found a stats-based preview for this game, which uses a “Four Factors of Basketball Success” methodology.

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/preview/2013-12-07/UMBC-at-Lehigh/149879

The “Four Factors” thing was new to me, so I went looking for definitions, and found this.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/factors.html

The good news is that we have the edge in the two most important factors, based on weights assigned in the 2nd link. On the downside, our gaps on the other 2 are pretty big…

lehigh90
    Participant

If this was lacrosse, I might have some fear of UMBC. But, not in hoops. Lehigh rolls. Double digits.

LU65
    Participant

youngfan
    Participant

a very sloppy game which Lehigh barely won. The attendance was consistent with the quality of the play – weak.

Thank, God, for the free throw shooting at the dragged out end of the game.

lehigh90
    Participant

Glad they won, but not much else positive. If you struggle with that level competition at home, it’s a problem.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

REAL sloppy, against what looked like a far-less-talented opponent. Playing down not a good sign.

Did/does the coaching staff have a “screw the offensive rebounding” strategy? Strategized by game? We got 5 OR, compared to 14 ORs by UMBC, and it seemed like every time we’d take a long-range shot, our guys up front wouldn’t even contest the rebounds — they’d drop back to play D.

Good D from Goldsborough — 4 RB in 10 mins …

Good team effort, too; points spread around …

Attendance was awful — last day of classes Friday, I think. Finals headed students’ way. Lots of good football on the tube.

oldhoopsguy
    Participant

Can anyone explain why the good Dr. didn’t have any of the LU guards up court to force UMBC to pick up their dribble on in-bounds plays in the waning minutes of the game? Not sure how much time was squandered while UMBC ball handlers let the ball roll up past half court time after time before picking it up to start time. Those precious seconds could have cost the game.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A puzzling game. One that should not have been close. Nothing seems to being done to emphasize O rebounding. Unless Doc planning on us shooting 70% from the field going to be hard to even finish in the top 5. A puzzle.

toddcudd
    Participant

I’ll take a stab at the (limited) positives from this one. I thought the D looked really, really good. Very disruptive, got in their passing lanes. Gave them a hard time getting the ball inside. On top of that, in spite of giving up 14 ORs, we held them to only 6 second chance points per the box score. Again, I think that was a result of good D in the paint. Our size advantages surely helped there, though.
    We did a much better job of getting to the free-throw line (37 attempts), and shot them a bit better too (70%).
    SW continues to look more comfortable and confident, and it was really nice to see AP shoot well again. When he’s on, we need to get him more attempts, I think.
    I’m once again impressed with JGs productivity. The one thing holding him back is his hands, at this point. Still struggling to catch some passes, and gets it poked away too often once he does.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

We’ve all noted our concern about the rebounding situation. And to some extent I think we’ve all wondered if the coaching staff was a concerned as we have been. For those who do not get the Allentown Morning Call, they reported (per SW) that the Doc’s UMBC halftime chalkboard had only one word: “REBOUND”. And they quote the Doc as saying post game, “If we can solve that rebounding issue, we give our team a much better chance at being successful this year.” Second half was obviously better and hopefully this continues. See ya all Monday night!

LU65
    Participant

The Good Doctor might wish to put “REBOUND” on the board before the game starts. It obviously worked at the half. See stats below.

1st Half
    Team / “O” Boards / “D” Boards / Total
    UMBC / 13 / 12 / 25
    LU / 0 / 13 / 13

2nd Half
    Team / “O” Boards / “D” Boards / Total
    UMBC / 1 / 12 / 13
    LU / 5 / 14 / 19

Allow me to paraphrase SW’s post game comments following his 11 pt., 2 board, 2 assist, 1 block, 1 steal….. “I take pride in my defense… it’s mainly the reason I’m getting the minutes I am.” Apparently, he’s got the message. Now, if only the others would!

pafan11
    Participant

1 block 1 steal, 2 boards by 6’7 G/F is main reason getting minutes? expectations much lower than mine.

randomfan
    Participant

I missed the game on Saturday, but after reading the comments, it sounds like that it was an “ugly” win. A win is still a win, especially with a young team in a close game. I definitely believe it will be a roller coaster year until they address the rebounding, on both ends of the floor.
    Lehigh’s frontline, at times, is as big as many BCS teams: 6’7, 6’8, 6’10.

Maybe the coaches need to borrow a drill from MSU coach Tom Izzo and break out the football pads in practice.

Defense is much more than stats. In my opinion, the best wing defender to play college basketball was Billy King (6’6) at Duke. Career averages: .3 blks, 1 spg. (Senior year avg: .4 bpg, 1.5 spg).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.