Update on Matt McBride

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh In The Pros Update on Matt McBride

This topic contains 33 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by LU808 LU808 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Gosh,he has been snakebit. Hope he can get a full season in.

TMH
    Participant

Looks like Matt is back on the ball field and doing well. Expected back with the Skysox after the AS break

http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-matt-mcbride-return-injury-0708-20140708,0,1432561.story

TMH
    Participant

I think Matt has a really good chance for a September callup. He is hitting about .375 in August and has brought his average up over.300 for the season which is the highest for anyone over 23 games. Included in his August hitting is 2 homers and 2 doubles.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t551&t=p_pbp&pid=473724

TMH
    Participant

Per The Morning Call

Matt McBride
    McBride is hitting .327 in 31 games since recovering from a broken foot. The Liberty High School grad had seven doubles, a triple, four home runs and 21 runs batted in during that span.
    The 6-foot-2, 215-pound outfielder-first baseman is batting .331 in 50 games, which includes a four-game rehab stint with rookie league Grand Junction after suffering a stress fracture in his right foot in an April 18 game.
    The Lehigh University product has a nine-game hitting streak for Triple-A Colorado Springs, including a season-high four hits Aug. 7 against Omaha.
    McBride, a second-round pick of the Cleveland Indians in 2006, had a nine-game hitting streak in late July when he was named Pacific Coast League player of the week

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Rockies purchased his contract and called him up.

TMH
    Participant

I believe that this is the first time that any Patriot League school (for all 3 sports) has had a representative on the MLB, NFL and NBA roster at the same time.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Off target a little, but Chicago Cubs called up an old LU nemesis on the gridiron: Matt Szczur, a Villanova football offensive juggernaut.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Think so. Dont forget MLL,we have 2 active and I think 7 more on inactive collegiate list. Only prior MLB that I remembetfor LU was a pretty good relief pitcher for the Angels,whose name I just cant recall.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Matt hits Grand Slam in 1st game as a Rockie. Wow!!

TMH
    Participant

This is Matt’s 2nd time up with the Rockies and his second game during this stint but that grand slam should get him some playing time for the rest of the season.
    The pitcher you were talking about may have been my class mate Paul Hartzell ’75. Craig Anderson was another notable. There have been a total of of 18 Engineers/Mountainhawks who played in the majors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/schools/index.cgi?key_school=2859544c

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Yes!! I recalled Paul could not remember his last name.. 18, I’m pleasantly surprised. Forgot Matt was up once before. Hope this earns him a real shot.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Hartzell was one of four men the Angels traded to the Twins for Hall-of-Famer Rod Carew … you may have heard of two of the other three: Brad Havens and Ken Landreaux

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Remember the article SI did on him. Lehigh in SI ,boy I was so proud .

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Per TMH’s find, looks like last Lehigh MLB homer before Matt’s two in his first callup in 2012 came in 1926.

Trot out the historians to determine if he was the first Engineer to ever hit a grand slam. Lehigh now has a whopping 21 HRs in its history, three in the last 84 years — all by McBride.

BTW: Here’s a good clip about “the pride of Lehigh” hitting the grannie (look atthe smile on his face when he enters the dugout):

Matt McBride’s grand slam lifts Rockies to victory (Video)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.