Wagner

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Wagner

This topic contains 96 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Constant Lehigh
    Participant

It was brutal game and not only the weather! Why doesn’t the Coach ever replace the QB and other under performers when the game is totally out of reach??? Time for retirement!

LehighForLifer
    Participant

I’VE WATCHED A LIFETIME OF FOOTBALL AND A LOT OF LEHIGH. THOT WE COULD LOSE TO WAGNER AND WE DID.

DON’T WANT TO REGURGITATE MY PREVIOUS POSTS OR ANYBODY ELSES, BUT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE COACHING STAFF, NOT RECRUITING.

THESE PLAYERS ARE FULLY DEMORALIZED BY DECISIONS ON AND OFF THE FIELD. WE MIGHT WIN 2 GAMES.

PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD WHO THINK THAT A LB RECRUIT FROM MICHIGAN WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE ARE SMOKING CRACK.

AND, MY TWO CENTS, QB PLAY HAS BEEN ABOVE AVERAGE. MAYES IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

buck
    Participant

You’re trapped in a room with an angry grizzly bear, a hungry lion, and a Lehigh fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?
    Shoot the Lehigh fan…twice.

hawktalker
    Participant

Here’s what I don’t understand. Twice during game, kickoff return team appeared not to know the difference between kickoffs and punts and ran away from from the ball on a short kick. Wagner fell on loose ball. Defense held them to a field goal but still, how is that possible?? The second time a smarter LU player fell on the ball before the oncoming Wagner kickoff unit. Is that a symptom of a larger problem??

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

[quote quote=32319]You’re trapped in a room with an angry grizzly bear, a hungry lion, and a Lehigh fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?
    Shoot the Lehigh fan…twice.

[/quote]
    LMAO. Thanks Buck. An unanticipated laugh.after that fiasco.

Lots of really good posts . i find I agree with each and every one sadly. No excuses for 0-5.

Chopper
    Participant

WATCHED MIDDIE’S TRIPLE OPTION YESTERDAY. IF THEY CALL OFF THE DOGS MAY ONLY RUN UP 80, ON US, IN AUGUST ! !

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

[quote quote=32320]Here’s what I don’t understand. Twice during game, kickoff return team appeared not to know the difference between kickoffs and punts and ran away from from the ball on a short kick. Wagner fell on loose ball. Defense held them to a field goal but still, how is that possible?? The second time a smarter LU player fell on the ball before the oncoming Wagner kickoff unit. Is that a symptom of a larger problem??

[/quote]The problem is either lousy coaching, or the players don’t have enough confidence in themselves to “be the man” and make the play. Tentative decision making as opposed to instant reaction/respond. It seems like there is too much “thinking” and not immediately knowing what to do. This causes delayed reaction as seen on the kickoff fiasco, but also alot of the defense play this year. They are out of position with lousy angles which makes for poor tackling. This is supposed to be football at another ‘level’ and players either are having trouble making the transition from high school and/or they are not getting enough instruction in how to react and adjust to their confrontation. High school kids make the mistakes on special teams we saw last night. I remember a few years ago when we lost a slew of assistant coaches along with Cecchini. Coen had a long delay in getting replacements because of “HR” reviews and bureaucracy. Could have involved money. I wonder if what he ended up having to accept is a significant part of the havoc being wrought.

LU15
    Participant

One positive thing: at least the problems this week were different. The defense was better and 3 linemen were hurt- allowing alot of pressure to be put on Mayes. That won’t happen during regular season. Also, P league is weak this year!

LehighForLifer
    Participant

DEFENSE PLAYED BETTER AGAINST A TEAM (WAGNER) THAT SCORED ONE TD AGAINST ST. FRANCIS AND 2 TDS AGAINST COLUMBIA. WE STILL GAVE UP 37 PTS…

LUPhillyPhan
    Participant

Was that Wagners 2nd or 3rd string qb that beat us?? It’s the same problem on lehigh D line it’s been since the season started… the wrong people playing.coaches change nothing. Positions aren’t earned. Does DC have any clue what he’s doing? Our first game was our best.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

[quote quote=32326]DEFENSE PLAYED BETTER AGAINST A TEAM (WAGNER) THAT SCORED ONE TD AGAINST ST. FRANCIS AND 2 TDS AGAINST COLUMBIA. WE STILL GAVE UP 37 PTS…

[/quote]

St. Francis beat Liberty last night in Virginia, and Columbia beat Penn.

buck
    Participant

Dartmouth beat Penn but you knew that. Scholarships being given to some really poor athletes in the Patriot League. Slow, soft and entitled.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Cant give Mayes a complete pass on his performance. Gotta note tho between losing Short and starting Rosen OL out of sync in pass protect. For a good bit we were down 3 starters. That and swirling winds a major factor. Still he did not cope well at all and team neede him to do so.
    ngineer’s point that too many players on STs and D are stuck in neutral thinking before reacting. A major cause of poor tackling guys are running to get back to where they should have been. That is their responsibility but it is on coaches to instill those instinctive responses. This scheme here for camp and 5 games and still guys are out of position too often. Better than they were true but not near where they should be by now.

lehighfootballfan67
    Participant

Went back to old pre and post game video of Coen. Something is not right and seems to be post losing his dad from the timing. Concerned it is an issue or medical but does not seem to be leading this team. I have been critical of Bott for several years. Seeing same bad coaching and poor personnel decisions.

Would love to interview newest coaching staff add at special teams. Did he have full control of playing the best guys that earned ST or did he get over ridden by Coen and Bott. Looking back to scrimmages and don’t see some of the hustlers during practice that looked impressive. Could be travel team limitations but spidey sense feels like more poor coaching decisions.

Also hearing more players have left the team not bound to $$ due to frustration of staff and poor coaching.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Who left the team? Coaches are losing this team

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.