Watson leaving BU

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Watson leaving BU

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Bison137 Bison137 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

QUOTE from pafan11:

Bison, I disagree completely, I do not see Watson getting a number of BCS offers. He is very good player in the PL but don’t see him changing a BCS team. Only a few players in recent PL history change BCS programs aka CJ and Muscala. Would anyone on this blog compare Watson with the likes of Napier? Napier is the type of talent UConn and the likes are looking for. Even a horrible Penn State Team has talent like Gino Thorpe who IMO is much better than Watson.

– – – – –

You seem to have dramatically altered my statement to set up a straw man to argue against. I said:

“As for Watson, I doubt he makes the NBA but he is a very good PG. Likely had a number of POY votes from the coaches. He will get offers from BCS-conference programs, possibly a lot of them if he takes his time.”

Nowhere did I say he would “change a BCS program”. Nowhere. And nowhere did I compare his talent to McCollum, Muscala, or Napier. Nowhere. If you want to debate the subject – which I am happy to do – please debate based on what I wrote. In any event, I agree with Stabler Bum’s analysis and I stick with my evaluation 100%. He can help many BCS-conference teams – although he many not “change” them. As for Penn State, they were ranked 82nd in the country by Pomeroy and 93rd by Sagarin. Significantly better than any PL team and far from “horrible”.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.

pafan11
    Participant

Quote from Bison, that I was in disagreement with:

“He will get offers from BCS-conference programs, possibly a lot of them if he takes his time.”

Nowhere did I say you where comparing Watson with CJ, Musacala, or Napier. I was comparing him to make my point. I see these types of players as the players BCS teams are looking to offer. Not undersized good players from the PL. I absolutely could be wrong I am simply saying I do not see him changing a BCS program and if I am giving out one of my limited scholarships it would certainly not go to someone I believe would not change my program.

As for PSU you can quote all the statistics you want but they are a horrible BCS program. W-L record over the last 5 years against other BCS programs is proof.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

I saw Watson as a very good, all-PL player, similar to/better than Mackey.

I don’t see him as a game-changer for a BCS-level or high-major program, the final piece of the puzzle for a championship run.

If he proves me wrong, fantastic, but I don’t see it.

My prediction is that he might, repeat might, go to a Dayton, Xavier, Butler, URI, UMass sort of team if they like what they see.

lehigh90
    Participant

I think Watson could easily project to a starter at the right BCS program. I think he would start at a place like Rutgers, Seton Hall, Temple, those types of places. Not top 25 programs, but there are a lot of lesser BCS slots.

I am very interested to see Blaise Mbargorba at BU. He could be a game changer in the PL, at 6’11” with a lot of athleticism. I saw him in high school at Peddie and he could dominate the paint, against strong high school competition. He was a Rivals 3 star recruit, and had a lot of big offers. I was excited when Matt Doherty signed him to play at SMU, as I went to grad school there. But, when Larry Brown showed up, he was quickly told he could never play at SMU, with what they were planning. Since SMU had a good season, with a spot in the NIT finals, and now are bringing in one and dones (with Emanuel Mundiay #3 overall, some places higher and rumored to be getting Myles Turner #5 overall), Brown must have seen Mbargorba as too raw to compete at that level. Brown also had Markus Kennedy coming in from Villanova, and Kennedy had a phenomenal season for SMU this year. But, 6’11” guys with athleticism and ability don’t grow on trees and certainly not in the PL. So, what will he be? I’m interested to find out. He could be another John Brandenburg, highly recruited, signed at Virginia, transferred to Colgate, non-factor.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Quote from Bison, that I was in disagreement with:

“He will get offers from BCS-conference programs, possibly a lot of them if he takes his time.”

Some updates on Watson via Josh Verlin of City of Basketball Love on twitter:

Josh Verlin ‏@jmverlin 1h
    Maurice Watson, Jr.: Creighton, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Temple, Purdue, Penn State, Xavier, Kansas, Drexel. Wants to make decision “soon.”

Josh Verlin ‏@jmverlin 1h
    Watson, a BU transfer, tells me he’s got an in-home visit with Illinois this week + visiting Creighton this weekend. Planning more visits.

I don’t think anyone is claiming that Watson will be a superstar at the high-major level, but I maintain that he can contribute at that level and would be an immediate upgrade at many high major programs. No one has claimed that he will “change” a program or is “the last piece to a championship puzzle.”

So far, the high major “interest” certainly appears confirmed.

pafan11
    Participant

I hope all the high major attention is real as it only helps promote the PL if he goes and has success. I did not say anyone else claimed that he would change a program that is my opinion. I would never give a player that has to sit a year and has burned eligibility an offer unless they change my program or make my program a championship team. Those are my words! We will see what happens.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote: “As for PSU you can quote all the statistics you want but they are a horrible BCS program. W-L record over the last 5 years against other BCS programs is proof.”

I agree that PSU over the years has been a horrible program, However in the post I responded to, you only talked about the current PSU program – not what they have been over the previous five years. I repeat, by any objective measure PSU was not “horrible” this past year. Ranking them around 85th-90th in the country, as the various rankings do, is about right in terms of their strength. PSU did have road wins over St. John’s, Ohio State, Indiana, and Northwestern. Plus home wins over Nebraska, Purdue, and Ohio State. Plus wins over a couple A-10 teams. Certainly not a great team – but far from horrible.

As for Watson, Stabler Bum’s post immediately above this one gives some idea about BCS-conference interest. It will be interesting to see where he ends up since he ((or his father) seemingly only wants a school that will virtually guarantee him a starting spot.

pafan11
    Participant

I realize that the Bison’s beat PSU this year so we don’t want to label them as horrible but the only quality wins I would give PSU are OSU and St.Johns and maybe Nebraska who was 3-8 on the road in the Big 10. Wins over Purdue, Northwestern, and Indiana are not impressive. The combined record of the 16 teams PSU beat was 229-250. The A10 wins came over 15-16 LaSalle and 13-17 Dukes. So, I guess its a matter of what you consider horrible. I would consider a Big 10 team losing at home to this year’s Bucknell team and going 6-12 in conference as horrible but I guess we can say “not a great team.”

All comments about PSU are based on them being a BCS team. Of course they are not horrible when you compare to mid-majors.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.