Welcome to Lehigh Austin Price!

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Welcome to Lehigh Austin Price!

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

What do you think Austin Price’s role will be at Lehigh? He is listed as a combo-guard with apparently the same body size as CJ. CJ has spent his career at Lehigh as a #2 guard and will now be groomed as a PG for the next level. With Devon Carter ahead of him and Mackey McKnight graduating in 2014, should Price be groomed as a PG? Is it more or less advantageous to have a prototypical pass first PG or a combo who will likely take his fair share of shots? I suppose the analogy is a drop back passing quaterback and compared to one who can run. I have no real opinion either way. This is just an item for discussion.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Well laid out TMH, as I think this is a good discussion point, and there are so many moving pieces to this topic. So you are right, he is a combo guard, and has played the one and two. I think, he can immediately step into PL and get his points on offense as a 2 guard, because he is smooth offensively and has a nice jump shot. Next year’s team, with MM coming back to start for the 4th straight year at the pg position, you don’t need AP to come in and be a 1, so you probably use him in a scoring role alongside DC as your scoring guards. However, post next year, you could slide him back over if you don’t think CS is a top PL Level starting PG or if you haven’t gotten a pure 1 in either this or next years recruiting class. My gut, pure gut, is telling me DC is more a 2 then a 1, and I think AP is more a 1 then DC is. I guess we could learn something about how Reed uses his last two schollies this year. For example, if he gets Devon Thomas then we know LU looks at AP as a scoring guard who they’ll just run out there and say go get yours. If we get a Senat and a Bah or a Myers and a Bah, well then it is open for interpretation post MM career what happens to AP. Long ways away, and bottom line is, the more ball handlers and options at the 1 that you have the better off you are…thank god we have options and we’re blessed to have AP in the stable!!!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

My guess , a C and a wing, if they are the ones Doc wants. If no *** Gs around and he cant find a C then a PF and he’llhold last for next yr.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Quote:  “If no *** G’s around and he cant find a C then a PF and he’ll hold last for next yr.”

– – – – –

Hold the scholarship unless there’s a 3 star guard around?    Aren’t you setting your sights pretty high?    Has LU gotten a commitment from any 3 star player since Marquis Hall?    Not even CJ got 3 stars – although in retrospect Scout and Rivals might adjust their opinion.     :)

PL schools have rarely landed a 3 star player.

norcalfan
    Participant

This is over my head guys, but I am trusting your analysis of the player. I just look forward to a great PL season. I have a business trip out your way, on my way to the Ivy League  for a conference. Too bad, I could not have postponed until the season started. Darn!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

137 my inarticulate point was for Doc to hold the last one. *** reference was merely to add emphasis. Extremely unlikely I know ( altho I can dream) so unless a recruit of that type showed up on our door if Doc gets his big then hold onto the last.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’ll add my $.02 to the discussion of where I see Austin fitting in.  I don’t see him ever seeing more than spot minutes at PG.  His primary attribute is his jumper and by all accounts he played very well this summer at the 2 spot for The Family.  To me it doesn’t make sense to put a shooter/scorer at the 1 where he has all the repsonisibilities of getting others involved and bringing up the ball, when you could have him instead running of double and staggered screens for open jumpers and driving lanes.   In his video, he seems like a capable ball handler and passer but not a blow by and kick out type pg at all.

However, in the PL you can get away with having two 6’3 guys as your wings (AP and DC) as long as at least one is strong and a good rebounder – which by accounts so far Devon Carter is.  So I don’t see it is a problem to groom both of them to be off the ball scorers that can play at the same time. 

As for the 1 spot, obviously there is Mackey this year and next.  I also like Corey Schaefer a lot, even if he is likely never going to be an All-PL player.  I would be totally fine skipping a PG in this years class unless there is someone exceptional (maybe Devon Thomas?) and bringing in another point guard in the high school class of ’14.  That would mean that when Mackey graduates, you have a year of Corey Schaefer starting and splitting time with a freshman, before that player is ready to take over as a soph.  And if Austin Price sees some time at the 1 during that transition, all the better.  But I don’t see him as a point guard long term.

lehigh90
    Participant

I agree that I don’t see Price as a long-term solution at the point after MM graduates.  He looks like a 2, so will battle for minutes with DC in the future.  As for the rest of recruiting this year, I say big men.  You can never have enough bigs, particularly in a mid-major league.  One of the most shocking things in the 2 NCAA games Lehigh played against Duke and Xavier was the shear size difference in the frontcourts.  The Plumlee kid at Duke, the younger of the two with the blond hair, was a monster, as was the center from Xavier.  If you want to step up in those kind of games, you need more bigs.  So, I would look to continue to add size.  If you look at how the front court shapes up in the future, you have a lot of string bean types in CB, JG, and now Kempton.  None of them are too wide.  This is where the team will miss KM and JM.  Maybe bring in a big or two with some girth, role player, defend the paint and rebound.  If they can block shots that is a bonus.  After big men, my priority would be a point guard, a true point guard, or a scoring lead guard.  You have MM for 2 more years, but CS does not project to be a starter on this team moving forward, unless he really progresses.  So, if you could bring in a talented point, that would be helpful.  I also like the idea of your back up PG adding another dimension to the game.  I like a really quick back up point who can push tempo, a guy like Prentice Small, I think adds a dimension to a team.  CS is hopefully going to be a low turnover, pass first PG, who hits the open 3, but he is never going to break anybody down off the dribble.  Another really quick point, who can dribble and dish would be nice to have on the team.  A change of pace guy for MM. 

I generally think the most difficult things to bring in are going to be big men, then really quality point guards.  Wings are going to be more of a dime a dozen, so that would be my lowest priority.  I also wouldn’t put too much stock in these high school ratings.  If you are talking 5 star guys and most 4 star guys they have more validity, but we can all find unrated studs and 4 star rated stiffs.  I think Brandenburg at Colgate was a 4 star guy and his record speaks for itself.  Guys like CJ and Queenan were never highly rated coming out of high school.  It’s very difficult to project the mid level guys when the game gets faster in college, just like it is often difficult to project from college to pro.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.