Welcome to Lehigh Shane Whitfield!

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Welcome to Lehigh Shane Whitfield!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  norcalfan 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Per his twitter account a few minutes ago Shane Whitfield has committed to LU following his visit this past weekend. 

Shane Whitfield ‏@2Shanezz

The academics was a big part of my decision and I love the coaching staff.

Shane Whitfield ‏@2Shanezz

I have decided to commit to Lehigh University.

Shane at one point had an offer from NC State per ESPN.  Various other sources list offers from Delaware, American, Campbell, Holy Cross, Bucknell, Boston U, George Mason, JMU, UNC-Wilmington, Georgia Southern, Xavier, Davidson, South Florida, & High Point.  Even if a couple of those are exagerrations of interest that is a pretty impressive list and probably more impressive than Austin Price’s overall.   Another really really big get for Brett Reed and Co.  Below is a link to some video of Shane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akL-L3fKKTo

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

You type faster than I. Just got it on twitter also. Nice get. Now a big please. Dont get still going for SGs unless no bigs out there that are good and we can get.

TMH
    Participant

Here is a writeup from a recent camp

Player: 6’6 Shane Whitfield Hometown: Raleigh, NC School: Word of God Class: 2013 Evaluation: Whitfield is a strong and active PF that has a tremendous skill set for his size/position. He has the ability to use his strength near or around the basket to finish well, but loves to get out in transition as he is exceptionable at running the lanes. In addition, he has adequate ball handling and passing skills for his position especially in the open court. His strongest attribute is his desire to play hard and play hungry. He plays both ends of the court and is a true competitor. He does a lot of the little things that goes unnoticed such as boxing out, which is usually non-existent in a camp setting. Whitfield is a hybrid SF/PF that can play on the interior or step out and knock down the open 15 foot jumper. He is very versatile and has good mobility.

lehigh90
    Participant

Don’t know much about this guy.  First I have seen him is the video noted above.  But, after watching it, I felt like I was watching a Holden Greiner clone.   Seems to have the exact same type of game.  It was uncanny.  If he turns out to in fact be that, it is a quality pickup.

lehigh90
    Participant

Couple other quickies on this guys:

1) I find it pretty interesting that after the Duke win, we pick up a signing from the Raleigh/Durham area.  I can’t recall in recent history any players at Lehigh from that area of the country, outside of Joe Knight who was a transfer from down there.  So, maybe that win is helping out in recruiting.

2) The offer list he had is pretty incredible if accurate, although I have my doubts.  This guy essentially turned down the ACC (NCSU, plus hometown school), Big East (USF), top A-10 (Xavier), and 2 powerhouse mid-majors (GMU and Davidson, also in-state).

3) On, perhaps, the downside.  Looks like he played at a Christian high school, which could be good or bad.  But, often the competition at those schools is very thin.  Didn’t Gourley play at a Christian academy?  Maybe somebody can comment on his competition level.  Numbers are impressive in high school.

Kudos to coaching staff.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

As Dan Patrick would say: “From the Mother Ship on Mr. Whitfield…:

Strengths:
    Shane is one of the hardest playing guys in the state of N.C. Depending on the system he’s in he could be an undersized 4 or a power 3. He gets things done with effort. He possesses a strong upper body and he’s a very good rebounder. He can also shoot it to 18 feet. His execution comes off physicality and effort.

Weaknesses:
    He has to develop his skill package and needs to add post scoring moves and add more reliability to his perimeter game. If he does end up at the 3 he must improve his ballhandling.

Bottom Line:
    Shane is a super student and his(sic) a high character kid. He’s overcome two knee injuries in high school. He’ll probably find a home in the Big South.

They did  list the NC State offer, two stars and a 62….

Notes

Travel Team: NC Express…

• This reply was modified 11 years, 6 months ago by jimk72 jimk72.
    • This reply was modified 11 years, 6 months ago by jimk72 jimk72.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

2 knee operations in HS but he sure seems healed. No idea of level of competition. He is quick, agile, good perimeter shot and loves to dunk.

LUHoops00
    Participant

Nice commitment, man him and Kempton kind of came out of thin air, right? No real mention or ties to LU until we heard about their visits, kudos to the staff for keeping that under wraps. Video of him looks good, seems athletic with some good ball skills for a guy his size, saw some nice passes in one video I saw as well. Love the scouting report on hustle and max effort, need that type of attitude on this team.

One more spot, needs to be 6’9+ wide bodied big and front court is set for 3 years….if can’t get that, I’d settle for devon thomas! SW looks like he can get out and run man, and JC can as well, imagine D Thomas pushing the tempo with DC and AP on the wings, and JC/JG/SW filling in the lanes…that is speed baby…

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

An unanswerable Q. He is variouslly listed at
    6’8

6’7 200
    6’6 215
    6’6 200

Multiple choice?

• This reply was modified 11 years, 6 months ago by RichH RichH.

lehigh90
    Participant

So, he played 3 seasons in New Bern, eastern NC, where he was the best player, but that region is not a hotbed of talent in NC.  Then one year at the Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh where John Wall attended.  I haven’t been able to see their schedule, but I have to assume this is one of the “basketball factories” rather than really a prep school, and, if so, they probably play a strong schedule with a lot of tournaments with bigger national type programs.  So, competition maybe be good.  Has anybody seen their schedule for last year or this year?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Maxpreps has schedule. No idea how strong. Altho googling school does appear Bball a very big deal and strong overall in Rahleigh.

lehigh90
    Participant

Just confirmed that last season they played in the Chick Fil A Classic in Columbia, SC with some national teams like Christ the King from NY.  Then, they played in the Glaxo Smith Kline tournament with national powerhouses like St. Mark’s (Mass) and St. Raymond’s (NY) and Wheeler (Ga).  They are back at those tournaments again this year.  So, competition, at least in those tournaments, is very strong.  Good sign, considering his strong numbers.

norcalfan
    Participant

The Chick Fil A classic has some nice competition. He will do a great job if he is as agile as you say. Not all PL players are quick. It is proving to be some nice competition for  the next few years.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.